Which Mod/Script Should i Download

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 20. Jan 14, 14:03

Lea Flamma wrote:If I use the Plugin Manager will it allow me to try the XRM and keep the Vanilla version as well? I might give it a try, but do not want to lose my progress so far, if I decide to come back.
XRM requires a separate installation. You can copy your game folder to another location, install XRM there, and use the no-Steam .exe. Keep copies of your saved games in another folder as well, because your saved games must match the installation.

XRM is not packaged for installation with the Plugin Manager. The installation instructions are for a manual installation. You *can* use the Plugin Manager but you will have to change the names of the .cat/.dat files in the archives before installing with the PM. Change the names of the .cat/.dat files to a two-digit number (any number -- the PM will "fix" the numbers). Then install with the PM.

I know that you are new to modding, Lea; are you also new to the game? XRM *does* change the balance substantially, so I do not recommend it to anyone who has not already mastered the vanilla game. While XRM has some terrific features, it also nerfs combat skill and spoils some of the best boarding equipment (ISR's, Sirokos, and Acinonyx), which is a shame because it has (very good) stronger enemies. Some love it; others do not. Personally, I am in the "I *want* to love it (but would have to fix it)" category. ;)

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Mon, 20. Jan 14, 18:45

I am not new to the game. But I can't tell that I am a veteran of it either. THat's why I do not want to change a lot.

How would a mod switch work? I will have to look into it.
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 21. Jan 14, 02:31

Lea Flamma wrote:How would a mod switch work? I will have to look into it.
There is no magic to it. Just do what I suggested above; it is standard windows file and folder copying.

IMPORTANT: Remember to also copy your saved games to a separate folder, because the saved games must match the scripts and mods in the game folder. Saved games are in the Documents\EgoSoft tree.

Tip: I use two Windows Explorer (a.k.a. "File Explorer") windows when copying stuff. It makes drag and drop operations more obvious. I position the "source" window upper-left and the "target" window lower-right so that I can see the important parts of both windows.

Tip 2: If you right-drag (rather than normal left-drag), then you will get a context menu when you release the mouse button. That makes it easier to Copy, Move, or Create Shortcuts.
  • (You can also Ctrl-drag, Shift-drag, or Alt-drag to do the same things, but right-dragging is easier to remember.)

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Tue, 21. Jan 14, 03:08

Lea Flamma wrote:What I am looking for is a package of ships I could use. I do not want to make a specific race over or underpowered. I also do not want them to be player only. I looke through X-Tra Ships/Stations, but it does not have an up to date Jobs file. There are X-Tended or X-Rebalance, but they change too much to my liking.

Anyone can propose something I could use?
The advice others have given is solid, but I think you should probably reconsider XRM. My advice would be to install XRM and not look back. Unless:

1. You plan on playing the game in your favorite M3 with plasma burst generators from start to finish. M6's outperform M3s in every way in XRM and a few of them are even faster than the fastest M3s. Oh and PBGs get the nerfbat.

2. Your favorite ship in X3TC was an M7M and you capped everything with it. Capping in an M7M in XRM requires skill, guts, and luck, but contrary to rumors it is possible and there are strategies that only work with an M7M in XRM. Oh and ghouls/flails aren't swarm missiles in XRM which means you'll have to use your tailgun to keep the victims shields down ;)

If these changes don't scare you then XRM will only make things better.

Also, regarding save games, there is a save game tool I recommend:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=2917206

Great for archiving your save games for later in case you decide a certain mod isn't your style. Don't forget make note of which mods your campaign is using.

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Tue, 21. Jan 14, 18:43

What I meant is an extansion to command line.
-mod:[folder] Also known as the Mod:Switch, this is one of a modders best friends. This is used to tell the game to look in the folder specified and use the game files in there rather than those in its original folders. This allows you to play a modified version of the game without altering the original game files, so that the vanilla game is still playable as well.
from: http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/tut ... ndex.shtml

That's what I used to play a modded version of Rome Total War. It allwoed me to keep the original version intact. I just needed a second shortcut with the command added. It loaded additional files from the specified folder.

Would that work?
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 21. Jan 14, 18:56

Lea Flamma wrote:What I meant is an extansion to command line...

Would that work?
No. You will have two different icons for launching the game from different folders.

Sotanaht
x3ap

Post by Sotanaht » Wed, 22. Jan 14, 14:34

Looking for a mod to remove the little cutscene that plays when you place a station, specifically for mines since those are the only ones I can't do OOS.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 22. Jan 14, 18:01

Sotanaht wrote:Looking for a mod to remove the little cutscene that plays when you place a station, specifically for mines since those are the only ones I can't do OOS.
I do not think there is such a mod. I recall that others have tried but have not found it worthwhile to do. As Ketraar points out, the call to the cutscene is hardcoded, and I suspect that changing the cutscene itself either does not reduce the time required to display it (or it may cause timing issues with other scenes).

Condense Asteroids or Asteroid Fusion can reduce the problem by reducing the number of asteroids that you need to mine.
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Wed, 22. Jan 14, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 22. Jan 14, 18:19

Sotanaht wrote:Looking for a mod to remove the little cutscene that plays when you place a station
That is hard coded and cant be turned off. An easy way to fix your mineral issue is to set up a CLS route from the mine to your plex, transferring wares from own mines or NPC ones. For the later version lookup Timsuptonothing trapper guide on CLS.

MFG

Ketraar

Sotanaht
x3ap

Post by Sotanaht » Thu, 23. Jan 14, 03:55

Thanks for the responses, at least I know not to waste my time hunting for one.

TrgtMobius
x4

Post by TrgtMobius » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 05:35

Is there a mod that will allow me to eliminate the e-cell requirement for standard jumpdrives? I do have the advanced jumpdrive, but my goal is for my codea fleets to be able to jump about without requiring e-cells, and as far as I can tell that means the standard jumpdrive behavior needs to change.

Censor
x3ap

Post by Censor » Wed, 13. Aug 14, 02:40

Edit: After more searching around it looks like I have to learn how to use CODEA and SRS. I've been putting off because it looks super complicated but I'll just have to buckle up and study up.

Hi! I'm looking at fleet management mods and I am a little overwhelmed. What I'm wanting to do is have a selection of ships that wait at my main base until an enemy is spotted in another sector. They then jump to that sector, kill the enemy and come back. bonus points if my ships dispatch only if they think they can handle it.

I don't like the idea of patrols because what's the point of flying randomly about when you have satellites and jump drives?

So far I've been using SEWN wings to have M7's patrol but they use up their jump fuel and then start to fly everywhere instead of jump. I have cag fuel suppliers but I wish there was someway to configure the SEWN so I had better control over when and how my ships dispatch and fuel up.

ADS is great but it only works on carriers, only on enemies that are willing to attack me (not on the passive kind that I may want to attack), and only within 6 sectors of where I have a station built.

So how do you guy go about actually using the ships you buy and equip? That's my big hurdle right now.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 13. Aug 14, 13:08

The Satellite Early Warning Network from the AP Bonus package lets you setup custom wings that can be called by your satellites, once enemy ships enter their sectors.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Censor
x3ap

Post by Censor » Sun, 17. Aug 14, 05:56

I'm looking to make the user interface 100% opaque or to remove suns from the game. Having them shine through my menu's is the bane of my existence. Any help?
Last edited by Censor on Sun, 17. Aug 14, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 18. Aug 14, 18:54

Censor wrote:I'm looking to make the user interface 100% opaque...
That's not possible afaik.
Censor wrote:...or to remove suns from the game.
There is an easy solution, if you are willing to start a new game. Create an empty text file called "TSuns" and place it in your types folder (addon\types for X3AP; simply create one if you don't have it). Afterwards all suns in the whole universe will be gone. However, this will have a negative effect on Solar Power Plants, as the sun intensity influences their cycle time.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Censor
x3ap

Post by Censor » Thu, 21. Aug 14, 02:35

Hahaha, awesome.

Rickjames125
x3tc

Post by Rickjames125 » Thu, 21. Aug 14, 05:20

Are there any mods other than Xtended that allow Player owned shipyards? i Know obviously the PHQ can be used for said purposes but I want to build multiple ships simultaneously and create my fleet that way. Would also be cool if it worked with litcubes universe too. Really just looking for any mod that gives the player the option to control or behave like his/her own faction.

Shasslar
x4

Post by Shasslar » Thu, 21. Aug 14, 08:40

Rickjames125 wrote:Are there any mods other than Xtended that allow Player owned shipyards? i Know obviously the PHQ can be used for said purposes but I want to build multiple ships simultaneously and create my fleet that way. Would also be cool if it worked with litcubes universe too. Really just looking for any mod that gives the player the option to control or behave like his/her own faction.
LU's pHQ has significantly shorter construction and repair times, you still need the blueprints.

XRM has player owned shipyards, with slightly shorter construction time, but reverse engineering is needed and doesn't sync with the HQ (means that if you have an aamon blueprint in the pHQ, you won't get it in the shipyard unless you RE it there too).

Hope that helps.

Rickjames125
x3tc

Post by Rickjames125 » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 04:20

@Shasslar

I Went with XRM which was a great decision, thank you.

Ive found myself in another situation though, I wanted to add a script that removes the need for energy cells to jump and works for the AI as well, However needs to be compatible with XRM and AP, I did a few searches but couldn't find anything.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”