M2, M3, M4, M5 - What Do They Mean?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StrungShadow

M2, M3, M4, M5 - What Do They Mean?

Post by StrungShadow » Sun, 1. May 11, 16:19

I have difficulty understanding what M3 would stand for as a quest requires that type of ship.

I currently have an Argon Mercury and would like to know how to distinguish a ship whether it is an M2, M3, M4.

Thanks in advance.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sun, 1. May 11, 16:24

Partially copied from one of my posts in another thread just a bit ago.

M1 - Carrier
M2 - Destroyer
M3 - Heavy Fighter
M4 - Fighter
M5 - Scout
M6 - Corvette
M7 - Frigate / M7M - Missile Frigate
M8 - Bomber

TS - Freight Transporter
TM - Mini-Carrier
TP - Passenger Transport
TL - Large (Station) Transporter

Argon Mercury is a TS. A Ship's ID will start with its class (after an initial for its race, with Y in the case of a Player's ship)... except M7M ID's don't usually start with M7M, just *M7**-## like any other M7. Sometimes the next character after 7 just happens to be another M though.
Last edited by builder680 on Sun, 1. May 11, 16:46, edited 3 times in total.

StrungShadow

Post by StrungShadow » Sun, 1. May 11, 16:29

So that leads me to another question.

I'm currently in the shipyard, and let's say...I want to buy a free trading station. However, the letters are red and the ID says ST.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sun, 1. May 11, 16:34

StrungShadow wrote:So that leads me to another question.

I'm currently in the shipyard, and let's say...I want to buy a free trading station. However, the letters are red and the ID says ST.
Those letters aren't referring to a ship ID. Those letters are designating a cargo class. If an item is listed in red, then for some reason or another you can't buy that item. In this case, that's most likely because that cargo class is too big for any of your currently docked ships at that station. There are other reasons an item can be listed in red, though.

Cargo classes from largest to smallest:

ST - Station sized containers. Only TL's can carry these.
XL - Extra Large containers.
L - Large containers.
M - Medium containers.
S - Small containers.

I believe this info (from both posts I've made) is in the X3TC instruction manual. Should be in your \x3 terran conflict diretory. At least it is for me... I have the Steam version... not sure if box version is different or not.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 1. May 11, 17:01

In case you were wondering, the container size doesn't have anything to do with how much cargo space the thing actually takes up. It's just a way of restricting which wares a ship can carry.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”