Mouse Wheel Sensitivity

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lorderan

Mouse Wheel Sensitivity

Post by Lorderan » Mon, 9. May 11, 12:52

I'm trying to make the mouse wheel useful to increase and decrease throttle speed. As it stands it takes about 15 spins of the wheel to get to full throttle.

Is there any option in game to increase the sensitivity of the mouse wheel specifically?

Thanks

zyriel
x4

Post by zyriel » Mon, 9. May 11, 14:38

havent noticed that kind of option in game but if you change the mouse settings from windows it might do the trick

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 9. May 11, 21:14

... or maybe in your mouse console/driver if Windows settings have no effect.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Tue, 10. May 11, 02:59

It also helps to have a well designed mouse. I use a Logitech MX wireless mouse. The mouse wheel can bring my ship to full throttle with one quick spin, yet is precise enough to adjust my speed by 2m/s increments 8)

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Tue, 10. May 11, 03:10

I'm unsure what model my Logitech laser mouse is, it's a few years old but great - it's got an adjuster in the bottom that lets you decide the drag of the wheel, I have it such that it's very accurate for small adjustments (little 'clicks') but loose enough that if you want to go full speed it's just a quick scroll away.

However...use Tab to get full throttle instantly in TC :)

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Tue, 10. May 11, 03:37

I'm using a MS Sidewinder X8 macro mouse. I'm not sure whether this is a mouse driver thing or something built into TC: Just like you can have on "normal" mouse movement, there is "acceleration" for the wheel. If you spin the wheel very slowly, it will change in small increments. If you spin it quickly, it will change in much larger increments. If you want to accelerate just after passing a gate you can do this fastest and easiest by simply holding down the tab key. That also makes use of the boost extension, which provides three times the normal acceleration. If you are flying a ship that's got high acceleration already, then you may fly back through the gate rather than accelerate away from it. If this is the case, you can still spin the mouse forward quickly while the next sector is loading, and you'll be up to full speed without any chance of flying backwards through the gate, even with the extremely high acceleration of the Jaguar Raider. If you use turbo away from a gate, this provides even higher acceleration. I haven't found a ship yet that won't fly back through the gate if you use this early. But there may be some slow capital ships that are exempt. But when you're not coming out of a gate, normally tab is the best way to go. If you're using a macro mouse then you may want to bind something to tab+j which does SETA as well in one click.

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Tue, 10. May 11, 04:33

When my left hand is busy steering with the joystick and my right hand is using the mouse to select targets and do other combat management, it is often easier to use the mouse wheel than it is to hit the tab key with my nose.

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Tue, 10. May 11, 05:06

Freeholder wrote:When my left hand is busy steering with the joystick and my right hand is using the mouse to select targets and do other combat management, it is often easier to use the mouse wheel than it is to hit the tab key with my nose.
Sounds like you need a programmable joystick, mate. :)

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Wed, 11. May 11, 00:13

Progress-M wrote:
Freeholder wrote:When my left hand is busy steering with the joystick and my right hand is using the mouse to select targets and do other combat management, it is often easier to use the mouse wheel than it is to hit the tab key with my nose.
Sounds like you need a programmable joystick, mate. :)

Only if you're buying me one. :D

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Wed, 11. May 11, 00:58

...and here I thought I misread your nick as 'freeloader', guess I didn't misread after all :p (joking, of course)

I'd really like one too...had a lovely Saitek X45 throttle and stick in Finland, but gave those for my young cousin when I changed countries and now I'm just playing with my laptop with a mouse...it's not the same.

They are not cheap but if you fly sims/play X, they make life a whole lot easier. That said X3TC needs to be adjusted a bit for Saiteks, but once that's done all is fine and dandy.

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Wed, 11. May 11, 02:36

I should have mentioned that I require a left handed version of the X-45, (now upgraded to X-52, X-52 pro, & X-65f) which doesn't seem to exist. Otherwise I would have bought one years ago.

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Wed, 11. May 11, 03:24

Ahh bummer, yeah that would be a tough one. Either that or learn to fly with your right, a lot of pilots have to! For example C-17 Globemaster co-pilot has to learn to fly stick with his left regardless of if he's left-handed or not. :)

Saitek does have a modifiable model suitable for both hands but it doesn't look too great, iirc...

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Wed, 11. May 11, 03:32

Check your mouse properties in the control panel to see if your scrolling 1 or 3 lines.

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Wed, 11. May 11, 04:38

@ OP: If your mouse software has a feature called "smooth scrolling," I suggest trying it.

On my machine it reduces the amount of mouse wheel movement required to get a given throttle movement, but it feels a bit laggy so I prefer to not use the feature.

Lorderan

Post by Lorderan » Fri, 13. May 11, 16:46

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm working on my mouse features, got the manual tonight to read. Not immediately obvious what I have to change.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”