Need more wings

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

deca.death
x3tc

Need more wings

Post by deca.death » Mon, 16. May 11, 14:49

Funny I don't even have that much of a fighters. Three small M6 led factory security teams of 6-8 fighters, three small M7 groups (deimos 6, shrike 8 and griffon 9 pcs.) Few capital ships combat groups, and that's it. No more colors available. Wings are handy, you can homebase them, resupply them and manage them more easily that way. And I don't even have carriers, well I have J but still empty. How do you propose I should deal with situation..?

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 16. May 11, 15:24

You can have makeshift wings by homebasing some fighters to a corvette (or other large ship) and just have them run the "protect" or "attack nearest" command.

It's not as streamlined as an actual wing; I just use the lead ship as a sort of remote control for the followers. For example for an attack wing I'll have four M3's run "Attack target of" on an M6.You can still use the "Resupply" command if you make the lead ship the target, I think. I usually just set each ship to auto-refuel and dock them at an SPP when they're running low.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 16. May 11, 16:19

The only way to generate more wings than the vanilla UI offer is to script them.

Takes 1 line of script to create one.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Mon, 16. May 11, 16:57

KloHunt3r wrote:You can have makeshift wings by homebasing some fighters to a corvette (or other large ship) and just have them run the "protect" or "attack nearest" command.
That's actually a brilliant idea, exactly what I was looking for. If I give fighters orders to attack a target of an M6 while they are all docked to station, would I be able to command all of them via M6? Would they all redock when orders are finished together with wing leader? I will do some testing but this seems promising. I need those wings very rarely, supply requirements are minimal, energy weapons and no JD. Stil I doubt that wing would automatically launch on station attack, or would they?

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 16. May 11, 18:18

I am up to several thousand fighters now. Can only afford to use wings for "active" offense forces.
For defensive forces, I usually ship them in aboard a carrier, then broadcast to all docked ships to protect whatever ship I am using as the lead.
Not as effective as attack target of, but seems to do the job and saves issuing individual commands to 60+ fighters...

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 16. May 11, 18:47

If you have the fighters set to protect a lead ship, whether an M3 or M6, they'll protect that ship and dock when and where it does. As long as there's space.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

zyriel
x4

Post by zyriel » Mon, 16. May 11, 19:55

just for my traders i would need about 40-50 wings
but sadly i play vanilla for now

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”