ISR repelled

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DrDress

ISR repelled

Post by DrDress » Mon, 16. May 11, 21:42

The ISR works wierd for me. Sometimes my shots bounce off my target ship, and the ship gets stuck in sront of me. It actually works pretty well since I can then ram it :P . But still that not why I bought my ISRs. What's up with this?

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 16. May 11, 21:59

Any mods?

It might be because there's too much to process, as ships suddenly stopping and doing nothing for some amount of time is a sign of that.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 16. May 11, 22:06

Are you sure they 'bounce off' and don't just pass straight through the target, especially when it is close? The latter is a sign of cpu stress and fps issues where the shot passes the target hull collision boundary while between screen frames.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

DrDress

Post by DrDress » Wed, 18. May 11, 19:32

It's a little difficult to see what happens to each individual shot. But they are flying all over the place when this happens. My current theory is ISR can't hit ships in the exhaust, and thus ships turn their tale towards me. Yhis would explain why they seam to be caught in front of me, because they are flying thraight away from me. But I have no idea if that is the case :?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 18. May 11, 19:51

I don't think the ISR bullet knows what is exhaust and what isn't. It is just looking for a collision with an object boundary. I don't believe there is any code mechanism for bullets to bounce off anything, they just either carry straight on or collide leading to some sort of hit-effect graphic and damage. Going by the behaviour of some player ships going through gates (ie jumping back again if you hit boost too soon on going through), the exhaust counts as part of the ship anyway.

About target ships seeming stuck, if they are trying to turn to evade you with poor turning performance and few rudder tunings then they may well seem to stop in front of you until and while they head away.

If your ISR bullets seem bound to hit the target yet are doing no damage then we are probably back to the fps issue (or you are marginally out of effective ISR range). You might be seeing the effect of bullet convergence at a close target range where the ones that miss collision for any reason will appear to spread out beyond the target.

DrDress

Post by DrDress » Wed, 18. May 11, 20:07

It could be frame rate thing. But it only (or I've only seen it) happens with small ships at close range. This makes me a bad ass rammer 8)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 18. May 11, 20:11

That probably would be the combination of lots of misses (fps issues or too agile a target) and then you are seeing the spreading out of the missed bullets after their acute convergence at the short target range.

(You might want to reconsider your previous post last statement - it can be misread!)

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 18. May 11, 20:33

Try firing 80 Wasp missiles at an M5. You'll see the Game engine start bugging out when it ties to draw 800 contrails at once.

Other graphical issues can arise from over-stressing the game or your machine. As long as you can hear the ISR rounds impacting and the target's shields/hull go down then everything should be fine.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

DrDress

Post by DrDress » Wed, 18. May 11, 20:43

Alan Phipps wrote:(You might want to reconsider your previous post last statement - it can be misread!)
:lol: Dirty mind! I like that.

But as I try to say the ships get stuck when I fire at them. So they are close and hardly move (only a little sideways wobling). I seriously doubt that all 8 ISR constantly miss. :o

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 18. May 11, 20:52

If your CPU becomes overwhelmed X3 will start cutting functions; AI ships will get "knocked out." They'll cut their engines, stop firing their weapons, and be more or less dead in space until they can get more processor time n

When your target stops, does it also stop firing at you?
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

DrDress

Post by DrDress » Thu, 19. May 11, 21:12

I don't think so, but they always point away from me, since they are typically small, they don't have rear turrets. But they don't appear to be "dead in space"; not until I plow from the rear (you heard me, Alan Phipps :P )

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”