X-Rebirth No piloting Capital ships!!??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

recnelis
x4

X-Rebirth No piloting Capital ships!!??

Post by recnelis » Fri, 27. May 11, 18:34

In the most recent press release it states that in X-Rebirth you cant pilot capital ships??? Thats like 80% of the reason to even play the X series of games!!! Say it aint so!

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Fri, 27. May 11, 18:50

I say it is so.

Personally I loathed trying to fly an M1/M2 since they were about as manuverable as frozen molasses. So usually the biggest ship I would fly was an M7 (R & TC).

As long as capitals remain buyable and I can fly an M6 or M7 then I don't care if I can't personally fly an M1/M2.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Fri, 27. May 11, 18:55

That if you'll excuse my language is a big pile of poo. Bah humbug D=

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Fri, 27. May 11, 18:55

From what I read, it's not that you can't FLY an capital, it's that you don't fly it like a fighter (which never made sense). Presumably you autopilot it to somewhere (assuming AP is better of course).
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Fri, 27. May 11, 19:36

As I put in the announcement thread - it doesn't actually state you can't fly them. It just says you can't steer it from the bridge. That may mean you can't pilot it at all, or it may mean you have to pilot it from the pilots chair, not the bridge...

There is another quote from the original interview (not repeated in the X-Universe news) where Bernd says "with the Capital-Ships, by the way – that there is still, one steers them only no more directly from the bridge" - see this thread for a link to the original translation (it's in the announcement thread, somewhere...

Tim

PS - bet this thread gets locked with a request to keep discussions to one of the existing threads... :p
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Catra

Post by Catra » Fri, 27. May 11, 19:43

Sooooo,
We just chill in the captains seat, watching the ship fly about and kill things?

That sounds more boring than the current capital ships. =p though that does setup the game for proper fleet stuff, assuming the AI also does fleet stuff and tries to outsmart us. =p
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Fri, 27. May 11, 19:49

Personally I think it will just be an extension of where we are now - you can currently swap into a gunners seat and then only control the guns - I suspect there'll be something similar for the pilots seat.

But, until next month it's all guess work...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Walkop
xr

Post by Walkop » Fri, 27. May 11, 19:50

I seriously doubt it. Could you think of absolutely any legitimate reason why they would remove the ability to fly capships? Think about it. Why would they do that? I can't think of any reason. It would just upset people and X players like yourself. Personally, I think he's simply referring to capship cockpits from X2 (unless, of course, in earlier installments you were actually on the bridge of a capital ship, which I cannot be sure of but doubt).

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Fri, 27. May 11, 20:09

In TC I rarely used M1/M2 - used M1s a lot in X2 though. Can't see me missing them that much tbh as I hardly ever took direct command of them anyway - too slow and not as much fun as an M6.

handy388

Post by handy388 » Fri, 27. May 11, 20:37

I happen to think flying anything less than a M7 is not fun, does that mean M3,4,5,6 needs to be removed?

Option = good.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 27. May 11, 20:46

If that's the case, I see no reason to leave TC then.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

pja
x4

Post by pja » Fri, 27. May 11, 21:03

Getting and flying a cap ship has always been my first main target whenever I restart an X game. If this goes it's a major step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

Catra

Post by Catra » Fri, 27. May 11, 21:04

handy388 wrote:I happen to think flying anything less than a M7 is not fun, does that mean M3,4,5,6 needs to be removed?

Option = good.
Bad implementation of an option resulting in almost 0 use IS by most players = bad.

All Ego has to do is raise the RPM to about 3 and then cap ships are fine.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

bobxii
x3tc

Post by bobxii » Fri, 27. May 11, 21:06

I think the point is that by the time you're commanding a capital ship, you'll be acting more as a fleet admiral and less as a helmsman. A capital's role was never to be used as a gigantic fighter craft.

All of this is contingent, of course, on fleet operations not being a complete pile of crap.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 27. May 11, 21:09

perkint wrote:Personally I think it will just be an extension of where we are now - you can currently swap into a gunners seat and then only control the guns - I suspect there'll be something similar for the pilots seat.

But, until next month it's all guess work...

Tim
Next month is actually a few days away and I can't wait!!! (OK I was just hoping the the 2nd installment of X:R preview is early in the month).

on-Topic: My guess is now you will have to train crew members, so how good you steer the ship as the captain, or how good/efficient you as captain defend the ship, depends on the skill level of your crew.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 27. May 11, 21:14

Seems there will be a lot of npc interaction so I guess if you do have capitals you'll be more of a captain giving orders rather than being in the hot seat.

THE_TrashMan
x4

Post by THE_TrashMan » Fri, 27. May 11, 21:19

bobxii wrote:I think the point is that by the time you're commanding a capital ship, you'll be acting more as a fleet admiral and less as a helmsman. A capital's role was never to be used as a gigantic fighter craft.

All of this is contingent, of course, on fleet operations not being a complete pile of crap.

Well said. A capship is NOT a fighter, and trying to use it as such is a epic fail of the player.

If it's more like Bridge Commander, that would be sweet.
- Burning with Awesomeness

- Pontifex Maximus Panaidia Est Canicula Infernalis

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 27. May 11, 21:45

I think that at least part of the reason why people like flying cap ships "manually" so much, is the brokenness of the strafe drive.

Using the strafe drive in x+y directions generates a speed vector of 113 m/s all by itself.

The Phoenix with it's breakneck speed of 40 m/s will go at 119.9 m/s while the strafe drive is engaged.
It can outrun a bunch of Teladi M3!

The slow turning speed has been mentioned as some sort of drawback but when you can change your speed vector by over 200 m/s within maybe 3 seconds... why would turning speed be important any more?
Spend at least 10 seconds turning the ship to gain an additional 6% top speed? Sounds excessive.

Also, the power of the strafe drive is amplified with capital ships and their laser ranges.

At 5km PPC has a flight time of 15 seconds.
Changing the strafe direction changes the true vector of your ship and displaces the target lead point of an attacker by 3400 m.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Makita
x4

Post by Makita » Fri, 27. May 11, 22:01

pja wrote:Getting and flying a cap ship has always been my first main target whenever I restart an X game. If this goes it's a major step backwards as far as I'm concerned.
same for me, i have no interest in just flying fighters, if that's the case i have no use for rebirth. Also not sure about the no landing in station part. I just hope they don't pull a Ubisoft move like they did with the Silent Hunter series. may it RIP.
Last edited by Makita on Fri, 27. May 11, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 27. May 11, 22:06

Seriously, it's way too early to know for sure what ships are going to be available to the player and what role they will play in the game.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”