this .zip archive; updated OOS combat code; from edition 43 of the X Universe News

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Vern Yakimishyn
x3

this .zip archive; updated OOS combat code; from edition 43 of the X Universe News

Post by Vern Yakimishyn » Sun, 29. May 11, 08:33

"Almost a year ago Egosoft provided DevNet testers with an updated OOS combat code for further testing. Although the code fixed a few of the known problems, the tests also returned some very odd results. Unfortunately, due to its complexity and a shortage of time, testers and developement capacity, the code had to be dropped, particularly in light of higher-priority bug fixes. At that time the code was far from ready to be released into the wild."

Has anyone done any testing with this script and can share how it changes OOS combat or has any links that have discussed this.

Thx

PS: Found this discussion on Dev Chat:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
Last edited by Vern Yakimishyn on Sun, 29. May 11, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Sun, 29. May 11, 08:56

Good question.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 29. May 11, 10:47

As there is already a topic in the German S&M forum and not everyone is L3 to read the linked topic by the OP, here are the changes of the new code:
What has changed
  • All OOS fights are now calculated the same way. In the past, fights which the player was watching or involved player property used a different case.
  • Ships with turrets now shoot one set of turrets at a single enemy. In the past all weapons of the ship were taken into account in one shot. This may require some changes to the handling of turrets OOS in scripts.
  • If the script tells the ship to fire a certain turret group or main weapons, this is now done OOS. If not, as currently is the case, the turret choice is random. In the past the OOS code ignored script input of turret ID.
  • The laser types in the slots are now read first, storing the number of weapons of a certain type. The damage done for this weapon type is now read only once instead of per slot.
  • Enemy size, speed and manoeuvrability taken into account for hit percentage. Bullet speed also modifies the hit percentage per laser type.
  • If the weapons firing are the main weapons, the manoeuvrability of the shooter modifies the accuracy.
  • Removal of several modifier values. The aim of the new code is to use as many real values to simulate the battle.
  • Bugfix: Ships which require Ammo for some weapons can now fire other weapons.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Sixense
x3ap

Post by Sixense » Sun, 29. May 11, 10:54

So does it mean Q is no more OP in OOS and 50+ M5s can't kill M7 and up ?

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Sun, 29. May 11, 11:13

No, it means some things have been changed and there is no data about the result of those changes.

(and 50+ M5 will kill an M7 in-sector, so not sure why you think it's wrong :P )

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 29. May 11, 11:17

This switch fixes a number of old bugs which is very welcome but what it does not is reducing weapon damage across the board.
This remains excessively high so that most OOS fights still end with the first shot fired.

And I'm tired of hearing that "the Q is overpowered". This is false.
It affects all M7.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 29. May 11, 11:21

Gazz wrote:And I'm tired of hearing that "the Q is overpowered". This is false.
It affects all M7.
Hear here :)
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Starlight_Corporation
x4

Post by Starlight_Corporation » Sun, 29. May 11, 11:27

With Gazz here, almost any M7 can oneshot any ship (and several are better at it then the Q!) The Q is just most visible, as it's the only hostile M7 people encounter on a regular basis (no pirate, Yaki or Khaak M7).

pja
x4

Post by pja » Sun, 29. May 11, 11:44

I can recall trying this. From what I remember just using one turret toned down the big ships OOS, but damage from fighters was more or less unchanged. I saw M3's causing up to 1 GJ damage per round and lost several Tyr's to groups of 4-5 L's which in my view was just as broken as the original system.

Demotruk
x3tc

Post by Demotruk » Sun, 29. May 11, 12:20

I will switch to this. I won't be using any 3rd party turret scripts either.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 29. May 11, 12:33

Turret scripts have absolutely nothing to do with OOS combat.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Demotruk
x3tc

Post by Demotruk » Sun, 29. May 11, 12:53

Gazz wrote:Turret scripts have absolutely nothing to do with OOS combat.
I thought that was what was meant by this:
What has changed
All OOS fights are now calculated the same way. In the past, fights which the player was watching or involved player property used a different case.
Ships with turrets now shoot one set of turrets at a single enemy. In the past all weapons of the ship were taken into account in one shot. This may require some changes to the handling of turrets OOS in scripts.
If the script tells the ship to fire a certain turret group or main weapons, this is now done OOS. If not, as currently is the case, the turret choice is random. In the past the OOS code ignored script input of turret ID.

The laser types in the slots are now read first, storing the number of weapons of a certain type. The damage done for this weapon type is now read only once instead of per slot.
Enemy size, speed and manoeuvrability taken into account for hit percentage. Bullet speed also modifies the hit percentage per laser type.
If the weapons firing are the main weapons, the manoeuvrability of the shooter modifies the accuracy.
Removal of several modifier values. The aim of the new code is to use as many real values to simulate the battle.
Bugfix: Ships which require Ammo for some weapons can now fire other weapons.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 29. May 11, 12:59

No.
Turret scripts have absolutely nothing to do with OOS combat.

It's a common misconception but all turret scripts are 100% frozen when OOS.
In other words, turret scripts have absolutely nothing to do with OOS combat. =P

Under the current system they cannot be allowed to work OOS because they contain no navigation instructions and these are what regulates the rate of fire OOS.
Trying to apply IS rules and systems to OOS combat is like trying to play Chess while using Go rules.

Vern Yakimishyn
x3

thx for all the replies

Post by Vern Yakimishyn » Sun, 29. May 11, 13:10

I have greatly appreciated all of Gazz's scripts. They have made my game play so much more enjoyable, so i think that I will try out his script [SCR] OOS Combat Rebalance (alpha 0.32 - 06.08.10)
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
which I understand to turn down all OSS damage to something close to IS damage.
Thx for the quick responses as usual on this forum

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 30. May 11, 01:00

Just ran some tests.

Not even close. 8 Ns kill a fully equipped titan every time, regardless of how its configured.

In sector, the titan finishes all of them off without a dent in about 45 seconds.

Edit: With the New OOS code turned off (vanilla), the titan finishes all Ns off as expected, with minor dents.

Mizuchi

Post by Mizuchi » Mon, 30. May 11, 02:12

Litcube wrote:Just ran some tests.

Not even close. 8 Ns kill a fully equipped titan every time, regardless of how its configured.
You're talking about the "fixed" OOS code there, right? Not Gazz's alternative OOS combat script(s)?

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 30. May 11, 02:18

Mizuchi wrote:

You're talking about the "fixed" OOS code there, right? Not Gazz's alternative OOS combat script(s)?
Yeah. That's what I figured this thread was all about.. Have I completely destroyed another thread again?

Mizuchi

Post by Mizuchi » Mon, 30. May 11, 02:50

No, no. It was just that the post previous to yours was talking about Gazz's OOS rebalance script, so reading on from that it seemed like you were talking about Gazz's fix, and not the official one (to me, at least).

The official "fix" that seems to be worse than vanilla? :3

djrygar
x3ap

Post by djrygar » Mon, 30. May 11, 04:22

have you tried with vanilla lasers or CMOD?

since CMOD seriously cripples their power, this could work...
just guessing

currenly I am using CMOD + SRM high hull ships,
and I am amazed seeing that even serious flock od M3s cant get trough M2s defenses. I mean, Carrier full of fighters was always ultimate weapon OOS and IS, but it no longer works. I even stopped using OOS rebalance, as I no longer have problems with 'single shot kills' OOS
(note that I am using my own missile mod, that I designed around this problem, so hammerhead's damage no longer exceeed average M6's shield+hull value - all missiles downgraded - see IR's thread if interested in trying out)

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 30. May 11, 04:54

Mizuchi wrote:The official "fix" that seems to be worse than vanilla? :3
Well, I only had to do that one test to realized this "fix" is not for me. 8 Ns versus a Titan?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”