Ion Disruptors

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kilvana
x3tc

Ion Disruptors

Post by Kilvana » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 13:15

Hi there.
Classic question and i've had a search around for the answer but not found it.
I understand Ion Disruptors can strip away components/weapons on ships with enough usage but will it remove things like Internal Laser Sentries/Hull Polorization/Advance Firewall Software.
I've found 2 Hyperions and i'm looking to cap one but both have Polorization and Firewalls. I know the firewalls shouldn't pose a problem for my 5 star hackers, but 5 star Mechanics still have trouble getting through polorization and i don't have an M7M yet to utilise Boarding pods.
Soooooo.... i want to strip it away. Do-able?

Many thanks.
Killy

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 13:26

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: it's possible that you have to 'burn' the target for long time...

Alternative answer: some hull damage might do the trick too.

Fast answer: just destroy the ships - they will be respawned later, with random equipment.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 14:03

5 star mechanics can get through hull plating, just save before you launch them.

Kilvana
x3tc

Post by Kilvana » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 14:24

Is there some RNG for the hull penetration then? I'll give it a stab. I probably didn't try enough last time then.

Thanks for the answers. Though it feels somewhat blashpemous blowing up Hyperions :D

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 20:30

If you want to negate the hull polarization, use pod boarding, not spacewalk. Pods give an extra level to the Mechanic skill, which makes a big difference.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 22:33

For space walk to succeed you need 100% in mechnic, 5 star can be something like 80% so make sure you have trained them to 100%.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 23:00

Try spacewalking an M7M. Seriously, it's way easier and then you'll have one to use the pods, as Nanook says.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 23:07

Triaxx2 wrote:Try spacewalking an M7M. Seriously, it's way easier and then you'll have one to use the pods, as Nanook says.
That's true but the OP does mention he hasn't got an M7M and it's not too much effort to get a Hyperion with 5 elite marines, I've done it many times without casualites.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Mon, 6. Jun 11, 23:29

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:
Triaxx2 wrote:Try spacewalking an M7M. Seriously, it's way easier and then you'll have one to use the pods, as Nanook says.
That's true but the OP does mention he hasn't got an M7M and it's not too much effort to get a Hyperion with 5 elite marines, I've done it many times without casualites.
I think Triaxx2 meant board an M7M by spacewalk to get BP capability then go after the Hyperion.

Personally I train my marines to 95~100 in everything starting with at least 45 in fighting, then you don't have to figure which marines to use, just call in a TP or two full of A-Team Marines.

So long as you use as many marines as possible (for the target) your losses will be none to minimal (for CW ships - Terran & Xenon are harder, apparently), Internal Sentry Lasers are the only thing that will cause grief (unless you're willing to reload) but I didn't care how many men were toast or how much damage was done to the hull so long as I got my shiny prize :)

The HV is worth it, then with your M7M by your side you'll go after bigger (not better though!) ships and never look back :twisted:
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

Kilvana
x3tc

Post by Kilvana » Wed, 8. Jun 11, 21:04

Right. Think i've figured it.

Firstly, i do have 2 marines with 100 in mechanics, 2 with 100 in hacking and the other 2 are just decent fighters. Its a good squad.

HOWEVER. After some testing and watching the boarding, it seems that the marines latch onto the ship not as a group of 6 but in two groups of 3. About 2 seconds apart. Another FEATURE of the game :D. Anyways. It seems the first group always has the same people in it and theres only 1 marine with 100 mechanic skill. I'll bet my newly purchased mammoth that the the skill check only takes into account that one marine and one of the other rubbish ones rather than waiting a few seconds to include the other uber mechanic.

I think theres nothing for it other than to train up omni awesome marines or get an M7M. Shame.

Thanks for the inputs though guys. I might try my hand at an M7M though i reckon i'll get the same issue.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Thu, 9. Jun 11, 00:00

The group splitting thing is a well known bug/feature introduced to spacewalk boarding by the rebalancing patch, IIRC. It's the reason everyone was recommending the M7M - you can jam 21 marines into it, which means you could have two/three TPs boarding it at once, with way more marines.

Even the basic 10 marines you get in one TP can take an M7M, easy as long as they're decent.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 9. Jun 11, 01:29

Point contact boarding technique: I use an Iguana Vanguard, and a handful of fighter drones to board ships. Basically roll up on them, with drones suppressing shields, then run at it, and as the Iguana Vanguard is about to pass the ship, Launch All Marines through Additional Commands. Timed right, they'll kick out and latch straight on. If not, come around and try it again after picking them up.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Capt_Newbie
x3tc

Post by Capt_Newbie » Thu, 9. Jun 11, 18:32

I am totaly going to have to try it with a TP, as since I updated, boarding by kicking five marines out of a Vidar hasn't worked so well for me...

Hey, anyone mind if I spam this kicking 'Enjoy The Cylons' clip?* I know this place is 'Strictly X', so it's not like I can post a music thread...

Battlestar Galactica vs Depeche Mode

*I'll take that as a yes...
"Once you figure out what a a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 9. Jun 11, 19:35

Capt_Newbie wrote:...
Hey, anyone mind if I spam this kicking 'Enjoy The Cylons' clip?* I know this place is 'Strictly X', so it's not like I can post a music thread...
You can in Off-Topic, which is where non-X stuff is supposed to go. Further discussion of this matter may cause the dreaded *click*, so beware. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Capt_Newbie
x3tc

Post by Capt_Newbie » Thu, 9. Jun 11, 21:51

Oops, either I never realised that was down there, or I forgot :oops:

I'll probably spend... some of my time down there now...
"Once you figure out what a a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”