I have asked before, and i am asking again.....with rebirth.....

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you like a Multiplayer for X Rebirth?

Poll ended at Sat, 10. Sep 11, 10:08

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 22

AgentExeider
x4

I have asked before, and i am asking again.....with rebirth.....

Post by AgentExeider » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 10:08

multiplayer.

please, have multiplayer.

I have played the X series since X2, and I have played games like freelancer and eve, freespace, etc.

If X3 Rebirth had a multiplayer, like a dedicated server system like freelancer, X would fill in the niche that lies between Freelancer and EVE, and that is a "Baby" MMO.

with the way this game is modded from slight tweaks, to full conversions, this game in terms of look, quality and sheer scope was what freelancer should of been.

If a multiplayer component is added to the game, i guarantee you won't regret it, and will in fact gain more popularity since there will be communities created from it.

So i ask again, as I did with every X game since X2.

Multiplayer? please?

-AgentExeider
[ external image ]
"I suppose I could part with one and still be feared."

Bubb9
x3tc

Post by Bubb9 » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 10:17

I whole heartily agree. One of the things I keep coming back to that I wish the X series has that it doesn't is multiplayer. When ever I have a conversation on the subject of the X series it always includes the phrase, "Oh too bad it doesn't have multiplayer."

A multiplayer feature would enhance my enjoyment of this series by a large amount due to the friends I would wish to cooperate and share experiences in this game with.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 10:19

This again....[ external image ]

You can ask for MP all you want, but you're still not going to get it.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 10:37

This post is going to get locked any minute now..... :wink:

AgentExeider
x4

Post by AgentExeider » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 10:39

yes, this again.

because this is a good idea that has high time for it to be given a chance.

the fear and resistance that has gone on this board, I have never understood why.

such a feature would certainly add to the game, and even evolve it to its fullest potential.
[ external image ]

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 10:42

The closest thing to Multiplayer you are likely to get is SMP where a group of you save your positions and pass it on to the next player.
We had several of us,each with our own corporation and bank accounts .using Vanilla with Bonus pack.
Last edited by TTD on Sun, 12. Jun 11, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

AgentExeider
x4

Post by AgentExeider » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 10:49

the old engine wasn't designed to support it. but as I read in the press release, this isn't just new features on the old engine but a complete rebuild, this would be the opportunity to do it, where it can be designed into the engine from the ground up.
[ external image ]

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 11:04

AgentExeider wrote:yes, this again.

because this is a good idea that has high time for it to be given a chance.
In what alternate reality do you dwell, blatantly ignoring all the arguments that have already been clearly presented, and completely off with your timing? :sceptic:

It is way too late for the X-R engine to become multi, unless it already is. You should focus your efforts on the development of X-DA (X: Dead Again).

Grimshad
x3ap

Post by Grimshad » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 11:05

X seriously needs a MP. Everyone always says it can't be done because of SETA which slows down time to allow you to move through the universe faster. Well quit being stupid and speed your ship up instead of slowing down everything else, problem solved, can very much be done.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 11:22

Grimshad wrote:X seriously needs a MP.
No it doesn't. If you want SP, you play X. If you want MP you play EVE.
Everyone always says it can't be done because of SETA which slows down time to allow you to move through the universe faster. Well quit being stupid and speed your ship up instead of slowing down everything else, problem solved, can very much be done.
SETA doesn't slow down time, it speeds time up. Plus the AI doesn't handle exessive speed very well in its current form.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 11:28

@jlehtone
You should focus your efforts on the development of X-DA (X: Dead Again).
Is this a Mod or was this comment not meant to be serious?

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 11:34

TTD wrote:@jlehtone
You should focus your efforts on the development of X-DA (X: Dead Again).
Is this a Mod or was this comment not meant to be serious?

Unfortunately that falls under the bounds of the NDA and we're not allowed to talk about X-R's successor. :roll:

I go with not meant to be serious.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 11:35

multiplayer just wouldnt work, not with trade and economy as it is. fighting yeah it may work, possibly a seperate game mode not linked to single player, like last stand for DOW 2 were you pit you ship with a m8 against a wave of enemies but as for standard gameplay i dont think it is feasable! + I personnally play x game sin my own time to chill, i dont wana have to compete with others or loose out on my individual experience!
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 11:54

Bernd already denied there will be a multiplayer in X:R in the Interview on krawall.de

Original with Source:
Krawall.de: Ein Wort: Multiplayer?
Bernd Lehahn: Nee.

translation:
Krawall.de: One Word: Multiplayer?
Bernd Lehahn: nope.

so this topic is pretty much pointless.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 12:30

Please don't couch it as a "yes or no" question. There are plenty of us here in the "who cares" camp. :P

Y'all want to do battle? Great. Do Battle. I'll be too busy monitoring the market for whatever armaments you guys use up, and tuning my factory output accordingly. :teladi:
*** modified ***

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 12:47

Painman wrote:Please don't couch it as a "yes or no" question. There are plenty of us here in the "who cares" camp. :P
To publisher there is only "yes, profitsss" and "not an option". The "who cares" camp is not likely to increase sales, is it? ;)

@TTD: Can anything be serious on this frequently repeated topic any more? Word "Rebirth" implies a preceeding death, so wouldn't it be logical to follow X-R with "Redeath"? ;)

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 13:01

It could be X-Reincarnation.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 13:09

AgentExeider wrote:the fear and resistance that has gone on this board, I have never understood why.
I think you mis-understand. This is an often raised subject (which means yes, there are people who want it). But, as is always given in the replies, it is a lot of work (any form of multi-player!) and the publishers, who's job it is to know such things, do not believe it would recoup the extra development costs it would require.

X:R is way too late in its development process for it to be included. And it was not included because it is not felt that enough new people would buy the game just because of multi player. And, without those extra people buying it, it ain't worth it. MMO would be a way to recoup the dev costs without necessarily having to bring in the extra players (due to monthly subscription costs). But, try suggesting MMO - you won't get fear as a response, but you'll get a lot of loathing!!!

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Starlight_Corporation
x4

Post by Starlight_Corporation » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 13:29

The major issue with MP is that it takes away resources & manpower that could be invested in enhancing the game.

Also the style of the game doesn't lend itself to multyplayer very well, unless using dedicated servers (see Freelancer) But here comes in play the human factor. The moment someone decides to build a megaplex, your server is going to have performance issues. Or imagine 5 players each building a weaponcomplex for their ships.
Now you see the issue with MP. Imagine everything you do & build X5 and think of the server needed to run that. And 5 is low, you would practically never meet. So you would need alot more players just for the chance of meeting each other.

You could argue to use a deathmatch style like used in Star Control (one sector, ability to compose a fleet and fight it out) But that would open a whole different source of problems, mainly Gamebalance. Try to balance so there's no OP or I-Win ship (Vidar, Hyperion, M7M, Tyr, Boreas, etc)
But the balance would destroy some of the fun things one can do, and would nullify Lorebalance (Terran ships are generally OP because they should be, they're more advanced then the commonwealth)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 12. Jun 11, 13:43

@TTD: Can anything be serious on this frequently repeated topic any more? Word "Rebirth" implies a preceeding death, so wouldn't it be logical to follow X-R with "Redeath"?
:lol:
Totally agree there.

As for paying subscriptions...

I for one would opt out.

But thinking about paying...maybe for extra content...
Now that is another question.
If it was the only way to keep Egosoft in business,churning out good new content,then depending on the price structures,I would probably go along with it.
But I would not like to be paying full-game prices for it.Unless it was a giant step forward like TC over Reunion.

The extra missions added to TC since first release is worth paying extra for,for example,but I would not consider paying for what amounts to be bug fixes.

But I digress from the OP.

I still believe that Multiplayer X will be a no-go area for Egosoft for some time to come,but no-one is stopped from developing a mod or a system which allows it.

We have had "Deathmatches" where your choose your fleet and set it against another player's fleet,courtesy of Technojerk36 (iirc).

And we have had both German and English SMP groups as mentioned above.

I think these are our only realistic options for MP X

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”