HEPT or PRG?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pablodalk
x2

HEPT or PRG?

Post by pablodalk » Fri, 17. Jun 11, 22:12

i've just been looking over the stats and i cant see why i shouldn't equip my ships with PRG and not HEPTs or even PACs.

Am i missing some thing? becuse to me the PRGs will do 1.6x more damage than HEPTs and 2.36x than PACs and the energy comsumtion for the PRGs is less that the HEPTs..

Panzerman
x3tc

Post by Panzerman » Fri, 17. Jun 11, 22:16

HEPT damage per second: 9400 shield/1500 hull
PRG damage per second: 7200 shield/765 hull

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from.

pablodalk
x2

Post by pablodalk » Fri, 17. Jun 11, 22:34

i'm going off in game info,

fire rate (rounds/min) and damage. unless i'l looking at this wrong the PRG fire at 618 rounds a min and the HEPT only 285. mult those numbers by the damage and u get the damage if u could sustain a stream of fire.

but i am getting tired so it could all be wrong :D

Panzerman
x3tc

Post by Panzerman » Fri, 17. Jun 11, 22:36

The damage listed is damage per second, not damage per shot. You're doing an unnecessary calculation. Rate of fire is already accounted for in the listed numbers.

pablodalk
x2

Post by pablodalk » Fri, 17. Jun 11, 22:39

arrrrr thanks for the info

Hachiman
x3tc

Post by Hachiman » Fri, 17. Jun 11, 22:59

HEPT'S do the greater damage but PRG's have the greater fire rate and speed...Depends on,like all things in the X world,personal preferance. I never use HEPT's on fighters,too slow against the nippy stuff.My M3's have PRG's or Energy Bolt Chain Guns in the front mounts,don't forget the ammo for the Chain Guns though :x
Kachi wa saya no naka ni ari
[Victory comes while the sword is[still]in the scabbard]

Fattyfat

Post by Fattyfat » Fri, 17. Jun 11, 23:29

I don't like HEPT's for personal use, and I tend to go with EBC's whenever possible instead. PRG's and PAC's I tend to get better mileage out of as well, because as stated they are better suited to picking off the squirly kind of target.

On the other hand, HEPT's seem to be fantastic for ships you aren't piloting yourself - excellent both IS and OOS on fighter wings.

Jean Luc 2000
x3

Post by Jean Luc 2000 » Sat, 18. Jun 11, 02:16

I don't know about PRG's or PAC's the other day I was fight a load Xenon and a friendly ship hit me with he's Plasma Burst generator and it very rapidly depleted my shields and started eating into the hull. I want one!

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sat, 18. Jun 11, 03:38

There's a PBG forge in the sector east of PTNI HQ that can hold up to ten of them :D

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Sat, 18. Jun 11, 21:50

Take a third option? My reckoning has always been that PACs are the most economical fighter weapon.
Sovereign01 wrote:There's a PBG forge in the sector east of PTNI HQ that can hold up to ten of them :D
The forge in Maelstrom is a better bet, it'll (almost?) never be destroyed normally.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sat, 18. Jun 11, 21:59

HEPT can do some fantastic damage for a heavy assault fighter in a anti-capital ship role. For basic fighters, PAC or PRG work better.
Last edited by garv222 on Sun, 19. Jun 11, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Bill Huntington
x3tc

PAC is my M3 weapon of choice !

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 19. Jun 11, 01:24

I agree with Reimu about PACs. I tried all the weapons, as you should. HEPT fine, but will run out of Energy in sustained combat.
EBC okay, but what if you don't have Ammo? Sometimes there is none available, and sometimes you just don't have it when you need it right now. PBG is impressive and deadly, but Energy intensive, and short ranged. PBE is pretty good, but short ranged and can only be used on some ships. Some say the PRG has accuracy issues, sometimes hard to find.

So it turns out that the standard, cheaper, most available weapon is the PAC, and it is my weapon of choice. Arming an M3 or M4 with a certain number of PAC means they can keep firing throughout sustained combat, and then on to the next. I've had many of the flashy weapons listed above do serious damage on the enemy, and then have to wait a long time to recharge, and get eaten.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 19. Jun 11, 07:41

Anyone who uses EBC to any degree will have ensured they have their own ammo factory so they have all the ammo they ever need! Since EBC are usually only useful on the player ship anyway, a single factory ought to be fine for all your needs.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 19. Jun 11, 12:46

Obviously Nibbsy's never watched an Agamemnon eat a Pheonix for breakfast with EBC's. Or a Nemesis chew up and spit out a Pirate group, including an almost always HEPT armed Kea.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hubert99
x3tc

Post by Hubert99 » Mon, 20. Jun 11, 22:33

Those Keas ... they one shot my M6s OOS. Even in sector they make a Katana break sweat, and once they even killed one of my Centaurs. HEPTs are terrible if you are cought in the direct line of their fire.
Thereshallbewings

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: PAC is my M3 weapon of choice !

Post by Nanook » Mon, 20. Jun 11, 23:05

Bill Huntington wrote:...PBG is impressive and deadly, but Energy intensive, and short ranged...
Short ranged, yes, but energy intensive??? No way!! I can put 8 of them on my M3, almost any M3, and fire them continuously and long enough to kill an M2, almost any M2, without ever letting up on the trigger. Same for most factories, just fly up close and hold down the trigger. Poof! No more factory. In fact, one of the most overpowered aspects of the PBG is its miniscule energy usage. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Tue, 21. Jun 11, 20:13

The Plasma Burst Generator is indeed VERY powerful. It's fair to say it's on par with destroyer weapons!

Don't let the damage values in the encyclopedia fool you. Those statistics are based on a SINGLE HIT. A single burst will deal dozens of hits, as collision seems to be calculated every frame.

The Phased Shockwave Generator (Paranid) is the capital ship AoE weapon. However it has a nasty habit of causing severe lag, which will stifle its damage output.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”