boarding the hyperion

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jin ko82
x3tc

boarding the hyperion

Post by jin ko82 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 05:48

how are you supposed to board the hyperion if all it does is out turn your M7M and shoot down all of your pods and missiles? also how are you supposed to keep the shields down if it kills all of your fighters?

Panzerman
x3tc

Post by Panzerman » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 05:56

Flails, boarding pods, and hammers have a range of like 70 km. How well the Hype turns doesn't matter. And if you're using fighters in conjunction with an M7M for capping, you're probably doing it wrong.

1 GJ of shields = 25 flails. Select your target, go to the command menu, and barrage him - enter three for the number. He'll be getting hit with about 200 missiles at once, which he can't shoot down. That'll take his shields almost all the way down. Then you want to control his shields with flails. Get a feel for the shield regen rate and try to time flails so they keep it under 5%.

When you've got a handle on his shields, launch a boarding pod. IMMEDIATELY follow it with a flail or two. The flails are slightly faster than the pods, so if you time it right the pod will reach the target in the middle of a big swarm of flails, overwhelming his turrets.

After that, just keep the shields low with flails while the marines cut into the hull. Once they're in, back off a safe distance.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 06:02

Fighter drones do an excellent job of suppressing shields and causing a distraction without dealing too much damage.

Catra

Re: boarding the hyperion

Post by Catra » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 06:44

jin ko82 wrote:how are you supposed to board the hyperion if all it does is out turn your M7M and shoot down all of your pods and missiles? also how are you supposed to keep the shields down if it kills all of your fighters?
Try to engage from a longer distance out. I generally do it at 20 - 25 KM.

-first, do a defense check. Launch a missile to get its attention, then launch another when its looking at you, if it shoots that missile down then kill it with a huge flail barrage and move on till you find one that doesn't shoot down your missiles.

- now, launch 3 barrages of flails and then a single flail right after that, then launch Pods then launch a steady stream of flails.

- jump around as needed till its yours.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

nitro2500
x3tc

Post by nitro2500 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 06:49

I was having problems capping a Hyperion myself. What finally worked for me was to load pods in my M7M's tubes. Had it wait at a intercept spot. Used my Springblossom to keep shields down on the Hyp along with 10-15 normal drones set to attack shields with MARS. I then ordered my M7M to Board the Hyperion. Lost two of my spendy marines. Had well over 3 million invested in them. Once the marines get in beat feet with the Springblossom as the Hyp is going to unleash on you.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 07:03

Capping a hyperion is tricky for a reason :). It has good defenses but still being an AI ship cannot resist a player-controlled fighter. Get a decent fast fighter with PBEs (I used X Shuttle), install turbo booster, load it with wasp missiles and have an M7M with your marines and pods nearby (~10-20 km). Use your single fighter to strip the shields (calculated barrage of flails might help here) and after that fly your fighter towards your M7M while spamming Hyp with wasp missiles. Hyp does not have a very robust shield generator and you usually can use those wasps to keep shields down and also turrets occupied. Here would be the time to launch your marines which is somewhat tricky because you are being shot at by Hyps turrets :)
Springblossom instead of a fighter would work better, but you might want to get a Hyp long before you get springy because it is very helpful as a support ship for marine training (and we all want a #deca for ourselves, right?).

BarneyMcGrew
x3tc

Post by BarneyMcGrew » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 09:07

Lots of different ways for you to cap here but just to add mine into the mix.

By the time I was capping I had my Griffon and my Minotaur. First I found the Hyperion in my Griffon and ordered my Minotaur into system at a carefully chosen gate, reasonably close to the Hyp. I then switch to 4 Ion D's in my main guns and 4 in the front turret set to attack my target. I closed on the target and fired my Ion D's, my front turret then joined in. I used my freight scanner to check what the Hyp has installed and once the shields were down I kept frying it and checking back, when most weapons had been destroyed I saved then ordered my Minotaur to board. The tricky bit was stopping frying at just the right time to let the boarding pods land (the gravidar helps) then restart before the shields come up. As soon as the Marines were through the hull I saved again and went through the usual boarding.

It might be different for you but I found that the Hyp wanted to circle me all the time and I actually found it easier to come to a full stop and just turn on the spot to keep it in my frontal arc.
You shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln

Spacewheat

Post by Spacewheat » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 09:17

Fly behind the hyperion, shoot with flamethrowers. Bring its shield down, then fly over the ship slowly and choose "launch all marines" from the extra command menu. you have to do it fast cause the hyperion will turn and crash to your ship if you don't adjust. The marines get launched closely and board the hyperion much faster.

After 8 tries I managed to capture it

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 09:38

So, Hype and M7M?

Don't rely on missiles. Buy ~20 MKII drones and send them to 'attack shields'. You can launch some flails to speed up the op.

Keep only six marines and eight boarding pods on board. Keep the pods installed as main missiles.

When the shields are down just issue a 'missile barrage' command from ~15km. All pods will be launched, but only two of them with marines.

Beware, if you have less pods than a full barrage then the command will switch to the next missile and finish the barrage with those - this will most likely kill the target.

The drones and the empty pods should be enough to keep the towers of the Hype busy. But some SETA can give you some extra time.

Reload till success.
Last edited by Rive on Wed, 22. Jun 11, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 09:58

Rive wrote: When the shields are down just issue a 'missile barrage' command from ~15km. All pods will be launched, but only two of them with marines.

Neat and clever. :thumb_up:

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 10:07

I used an M7M for my Hyperion Vanguard boarding, and must say, it was the easiest capture I have performed so far :?

Like others have said, use hammers and flails, and make sure when the boarding pods are approaching the target they come accompanied by a few flails.

jin ko82
x3tc

Post by jin ko82 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 19:17

great idea about the ion d's since they do about 10 damage to the hull and as for the griffin, do you think a agamemnon is ok too?

garv222

Post by garv222 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 21:37

Never had a problem getting marines on board a Hyperion. The problems you're the OP is having I had with just about every boardable ship when I was first learning though. For myself, it was learning to time the flails to strike just before the pods landed which essentially confused and overwhelmed the AI I suppose.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

BarneyMcGrew
x3tc

Post by BarneyMcGrew » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:02

I don't think the Agamemnon can mount Ion Disruptors, you need a ship that can mount and power at least 8 so that they bring the shields down nice and quick and get to frying everything on board before the target has a chance to get your shields down. You also need full control over at least some of the Ion D's so that you can turn them off just as the pods arrive then get them straight back on again to keep the shields down until the Marines are on board (I switch the front turret of my griffon off before giving the order to board so that the boarding pods don't get fried by it suddenly deciding to fire).

M7's I believe can mount Ion Disruptors in the front:
Griffon
Cerberus
Carrack

Smaller ships can mount them but most can't power them indefinitely you also need to be pretty close which makes avoiding the Hyp's fire exceptionally difficult so you need plenty of shields to protect you until the weapons are gone.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:05

BarneyMcGrew wrote:I don't think the Agamemnon can mount Ion Disruptors, you need a ship that can mount and power at least 8 so that they bring the shields down nice and quick and get to frying everything on board before the target has a chance to get your shields down. You also need full control over at least some of the Ion D's so that you can turn them off just as the pods arrive then get them straight back on again to keep the shields down until the Marines are on board (I switch the front turret of my griffon off before giving the order to board so that the boarding pods don't get fried by it suddenly deciding to fire).

M7's I believe can mount Ion Disruptors in the front:
Griffon
Cerberus
Carrack

Smaller ships can mount them but most can't power them indefinitely you also need to be pretty close which makes avoiding the Hyp's fire exceptionally difficult so you need plenty of shields to protect you until the weapons are gone.
The problem with using M7 on the Hyperion, is that all of them cannot keep up with the Hyperion in order to stay within the 1km range of the ID, and only the Griffon can have ID as its main guns (that is unless you have a script that shuts off your turrets using hot key).

BarneyMcGrew
x3tc

Post by BarneyMcGrew » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:09

The problem with using M7 on the Hyperion, is that all of them cannot keep up with the Hyperion in order to stay within the 1km range of the ID.
Its normally going pretty slow when you see it in system and the Iod D's slow it down enough for at least the Griffon and Carrack to keep up. All I can say is everyone has their own methods and this one worked for me.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:13

BarneyMcGrew wrote:
The problem with using M7 on the Hyperion, is that all of them cannot keep up with the Hyperion in order to stay within the 1km range of the ID.
Its normally going pretty slow when you see it in system and the Iod D's slow it down enough for at least the Griffon and Carrack to keep up. All I can say is everyone has their own methods and this one worked for me.
IPG are the guns that slow. Don't think Ion D do anything besides break equipment.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

BarneyMcGrew
x3tc

Post by BarneyMcGrew » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:14

Well I fired my Ion D's the ship slowed down, when not firing it sped back up again. Like I said worked for me.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:50

What you were seeing was the Hyperion slowing down in response to your firing at it. It can happen with any weapon. They appear to slow down because they're going into some attack/evade mode, and when you stop firing, they speed up and try to turn to get a fix on you with their main guns. That's all.

Ion D's do not slow ships down by themselves. As mentioned above, only the IPG can do that.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 23:56

Not until you're under 90% hull from spending three hours trying to burn out the last flak that keeps blowing your boarding pods out of the sky anyway.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”