My new Hercules was just killed OOS by an asteroid

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Curtis1987
x3tc

My new Hercules was just killed OOS by an asteroid

Post by Curtis1987 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 09:48

I almost my entire cash reserves on a new TL (the Hercules) to take on the station construction missions. From Paranid Prime, I sent it on its way to Home of Light to equip, and realised after a few minutes that it was no longer in my property list.

After checking my message logs, lo and behold, it was killed by "asteroid". This occurred OOS. I didn't even know collisions occurred OOS. How can I avoid this happening in the future?

half0
x3tc

Post by half0 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 09:52

Happens to me all the time. Must of lost a good 30 TS class ships by now from crashing into stations and whatnot. If you find out the secret of preventing this you should share it.
Those who are afraid of the dark has never seen what the light can do

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 21:12

I don't know if it is just coincidence , but I usually loose ships that way when on SETA :?:

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 21:29

TTD wrote:I don't know if it is just coincidence , but I usually loose ships that way when on SETA :?:
but collision is disabled OOS. I don't think it is possible.

My rule of thumb to avoid this is to

NEVER be in the same sector as a MOVING big ship (TL or M2 and up) or a fast ship with poor turning (Kestrel). Before I jump into the sector, I always make sure to stop the big ship.

I do hope that Egosoft fix the autopilot in X:R. That is the single source of frustration for me in X3R, X3TC..

I have raised this issue in the past, but people would say: Oh, it is much harder/complicated/require a Cray/slow performance to write a better Autopilot. I did not ask for a better autopilot, just one that disables Collision detection when the autopilot is active on ships that I own. When you (=the autopilot) can't do its job safely, at least try not kill the riders that rely on it.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:09

TTD wrote:
I don't know if it is just coincidence , but I usually loose ships that way when on SETA Question

That is the annoying puzzler :?

Otherwise,yes,avoid SETA when in a sector busy with your ships.

Sometimes , OOS , I get the message " ...destroyed by ...station"
Never really understood why.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:28

Its paranid.

You got really high expectations if you assume just because there's nothing to physically crash into, they won't find a way to crash.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:34

They crashed into a 4 dimensional asteroid. The captain refused to acknowledge it was there and ordered them to continue anyway. Splat.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Osiris454
x3tc

Post by Osiris454 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:53

EmperorJon wrote:They crashed into a 4 dimensional asteroid. The captain refused to acknowledge it was there and ordered them to continue anyway. Splat.
I agree with this conclusion.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 22:56

"Paranid say, asteroid is not real if not 3 dimensional! Paranid say, fly forward!"

*THUD*

"Paranid say... shi-"

*BOOM*
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Fattyfat

Post by Fattyfat » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 23:03

I suggest the Bounce script if you don't mind *mod*. It's saved me a lot of rage-filled losses.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 23:04

TTD wrote:
TTD wrote:
I don't know if it is just coincidence , but I usually loose ships that way when on SETA Question

That is the annoying puzzler :?

Otherwise,yes,avoid SETA when in a sector busy with your ships.

Sometimes , OOS , I get the message " ...destroyed by ...station"
Never really understood why.
Shouldn't be possible, Collisions are disabled OOS. Unless using scripts that may cause it otherwise.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 22. Jun 11, 23:57

I've had it happen in vanilla, usually with Mobile Miners.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hubert99
x3tc

Post by Hubert99 » Thu, 23. Jun 11, 00:48

Beware crowded sectors. The problem is not the autopilot. It is the fact that the game actually has real collison detection. And given the huge array of sectors, ships, endless possible paths, revolving trading stations, limited docking AI manouvers (necesarily so, to avoid the game being clogged up by pilot scripts) it is a wonder that so few accidents occur.

I prefer to reside in bigger setcors, where stations are dispersed, I carefully place the hubs of my complexes to have clear lines towards possible targets (stations, gates), although ugly things still appear from time to time. Depending on savegame availability or loss value, I just reload or not. Lately I have been satisfied with how things work, even my fully upgraded Springblossoms, or Kestrels manage to get by even using Seta x 10.

Also I enjoy when station attacking ships explode as the avoidance script does not kick in.
Never dock and let the game run in a crowded sector. One of your traders might try to pass by an argon trading station, and some sectors do have stations placed on the trading lanes, and the AI, especially when meeting/avoiding other AI ships, will fail to take good decisions.

As about OOS collison with a roid, never happaned to me, but I don't say it's impossible. Since my ships occasionally jump out from terran sectors, I am prepared for anything to happen. :)
Thereshallbewings

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Thu, 23. Jun 11, 07:08

You had to be IS when that collision occurred.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 23. Jun 11, 10:35

Threesixtyci wrote:You had to be IS when that collision occurred.
Hiya,glad you are still around,hope all is well.(PM me sometime).

I was thinking about this...
Could it be that said ship jumped to the sector we were in , but we did not notice?

Because afaiaa , there should be no collisions of this nature OOS.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 23. Jun 11, 11:51

About the only thing I can think of is your system is a bit poor and for some strange reason collision didn't turn off in time or something of the ilk. But the fact you only just got your first TL implies you do not have enough assets to significantly degrade performance...
I have never had something die from collision whilst OOS. Ever.
Perhaps its one of those rogue pirate asteroids with the LAZORZ... :o

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Thu, 23. Jun 11, 11:59

Anyone had the "Your ship was destroyed by planet" yet when OOS?
Still life in the old dog yet...

pablodalk
x2

Post by pablodalk » Thu, 23. Jun 11, 14:13

I lost an SP to an astiroed how was on station def, I'm pretty sure i was OSS when this happened, but i can't be certain as about 4hours had past till i knowticed :evil:

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 23. Jun 11, 15:24

Triaxx2 wrote:I've had it happen in vanilla, usually with Mobile Miners.
iirc, the mobile mining command includes some scripted damage over time.

Curtis1987
x3tc

Post by Curtis1987 » Thu, 23. Jun 11, 15:31

Infekted wrote:About the only thing I can think of is your system is a bit poor and for some strange reason collision didn't turn off in time or something of the ilk. But the fact you only just got your first TL implies you do not have enough assets to significantly degrade performance...
I have never had something die from collision whilst OOS. Ever.
Perhaps its one of those rogue pirate asteroids with the LAZORZ... :o

Not so on both accounts. I have an i7 6GB powerhouse of a pc, and this was my second TL. I have over 50 ships and 20 factories, so not particularly early on.

It was definitely OOS. I had never even seen the ship; I bought it remotely from another ship via one docked in Paranid Prime, then sent it north to Home of Light, and it never made it. The whole time, I was over by Queen's Retribution.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”