Corvette opinions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

massacoppsan
x3tc

Corvette opinions

Post by massacoppsan » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 20:42

I've been playing through the Terran start and just captured the practice Vidar. I've outfitted its shields and turrets and I just realized I'm not so big on the ideaof matter/anti launchers as my main weapons. Should I just sell this damn thing and buy a Skiron?

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 20:44

Don't sell it! It's unique and actually a pretty hard little ship. Try fitting it with EMPCs...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

MadMan983
x3tc

Post by MadMan983 » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 20:47

i found i could tair anything upto a Q with EMPCs but i mostly used a 4 MAML and 6 EMPC, 30 crates used to last me a few invasion missions if i only used the MAMLs on M6, M7 and the odd LX
When ever people agree with me i always feel i must be wrong.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 21:34

Did you actually capture the Vidar? I've found the best strategy is just to wait for a while and make no attempt to capture it while Pearle questions your competency, and then they'll just give in and give you the ship. That way, you'll lose no marines and won't damage the hull.

Until the point at which I bought my Spring Blossom, the Vidar has been my favorite ship to navigate around in and take light combat missions with. It's speed in a bit of a problem though, especially trying to hunt down those last few pesky M5s.

Never sell the Vidar, as others have said, or allow it to be destroyed.

massacoppsan
x3tc

Post by massacoppsan » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 21:49

I let them give it to me. I guess I can use it to do some assassination missions until I can afford my Skiron.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 22:40

massacoppsan wrote:I let them give it to me. I guess I can use it to do some assassination missions until I can afford my Skiron.
I usually fully outfit it with M/AMs. The Vidar is the third best M6 in the game. Properly set up, it can eat Q's.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 22:41

massacoppsan wrote:I let them give it to me. I guess I can use it to do some assassination missions until I can afford my Skiron.
Actually the Vidar is a far superior ship compared to the Skiron, you should keep it until you can get your hands on a Hyperion.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 23:51

Keep the Vidar, at least until you can reverse engineer it.

Me, I like many corvettes. The Dragon, Hydra, and P are all excellent. I like the PX as well.

I'm not a big fan of the Vidar myself, though I use it as a patrol craft under AI control.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 23:57

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote: Actually the Vidar is a far superior ship compared to the Skiron, you should keep it until you can get your hands on a Hyperion.

Superior but only in a sense of continuous damage output and turning. Skiron is faster, much better cargobay, has much wider weapon and missile selection and can mount IoD , has more effective AA turrets and same shielding. Vidar is like bouncer, skiron has more versatility.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Fri, 24. Jun 11, 23:58

Triaxx2 wrote:though I use it as a patrol craft under AI control.
Using unique ships as a patrols is not a good idea (unless REd).

Osiris454
x3tc

Post by Osiris454 » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 00:29

I've outfitted a Vidar with EMPC's on every turret. 10 forward EMPC's is nothing to sneeze at.

EDIT: I would also RE it. You won't get a second one if it's destroyed and they cannot be bought.

Fattyfat

Post by Fattyfat » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 01:56

It's a solid ship despite the lack of weapon variety - it is a viable player ship (I would put it on even grounds with the Skiron all-around, especially since neither holds a candle to the Hyperion). Use it if you want (try the different weapon setups suggested above) or park it till you can RE it. I like the Skiron a little better in practice honestly, but mostly because of cargo and IonD functionality (IonD's are teh awesome).

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 02:16

Whats a reliable ship to start the terran missions off in? Its been a while and I cant remember how hard they are.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 02:45

deca.death wrote:
SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote: Actually the Vidar is a far superior ship compared to the Skiron, you should keep it until you can get your hands on a Hyperion.

Superior but only in a sense of continuous damage output and turning. Skiron is faster, much better cargobay, has much wider weapon and missile selection and can mount IoD , has more effective AA turrets and same shielding. Vidar is like bouncer, skiron has more versatility.
The Skiron has a cargo bay of 975 vs the Vidar's 950, if that's what you consider "much better". :P

It really depends on how you play the game. You won't be taking out too many capital ships in a Skiron without using a lot of missiles. However, a Vidar pilot can probably kill most capital ships in the game, given enough skill, using guns only.

If you're a fighter jock, then the Vidar is vastly superior, what with it's almost-M3 turning rate, and the massive amount of firepower 10 forward M/AML's can give you.

If you're a bigship-pilot, then yes, the Skiron may be the one for you. Just don't automatically assume that everyone has to play the way you do.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 03:33

Nanook wrote: The Skiron has a cargo bay of 975 vs the Vidar's 950, if that's what you consider "much better". :P
Vidar has 10 forward guns (2 more) and needs ammo for them, bare minimum of 30 crates which slices off 150 of cargo (up to 200 with extra guns) so difference is not little as it might seem. Skiron can take smaller (still effective) guns like mass drivers, PBGs or HEPTs while vidar has very limited choice. With EMPC his main advantage deteriorates. And vidar carries L cargo, most of other vettes carry XL, Skiron included.

Nanook wrote: If you're a bigship-pilot, then yes, the Skiron may be the one for you. Just don't automatically assume that everyone has to play the way you do.

Wrong, wrong.
I fly fighter style and still find Vidar too uniform (and slow) for my taste. Never assumed that everybody must play the way I do, just stating that there is no "far superior" ship in comparison between those two (like been said), every ship has it's strong points and advantages and neither stands out too much.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 03:40

It really depends on how you play the game. You won't be taking out too many capital ships in a Skiron without using a lot of missiles. However, a Vidar pilot can probably kill most capital ships in the game, given enough skill, using guns only.

If you're a fighter jock, then the Vidar is vastly superior, what with it's almost-M3 turning rate, and the massive amount of firepower 10 forward M/AML's can give you.
I dont use missiles or wing-men so I would have to go with the above.
The Vidar is a tough little ship.
I also like the ATF Aegir for the same reasons but we are now talking M7.

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 03:49

Frankly, if something manages to kill it while it's patrolling in Legend's Home, I have bigger problems than losing a unique ship.

Plus I can always, you know, reload.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hubert99
x3tc

Post by Hubert99 » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 15:04

Skiron has the worst steering of all M6, I think. It's just painful.
Thereshallbewings

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 15:34

Hubert99 wrote:Skiron has the worst steering of all M6, I think. It's just painful.
True. Every ship in this game (well..except few... :) is carefully balanced not to stand out in any way. Skiron is among best M6+ ships in most of stats. It has several things among best in class: speed, shields, weapon generators and cargobay. Has good weapon/missile selection including mass drivers, PBGs and IonDs. It has great forward gun placement /narrow shooting beam. Nothing beats firing CIG from skiron's bridge. Hyperion long nose looks disgusting when fires : (

On the other side it steers like a pregnant cow (only heavy hydra steers worse) and it cannot mount EBC in nose (very rare but painful drawback among vettes)

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Sat, 25. Jun 11, 16:13

Vidar... tiny, heavy firepower for it's size, fast, agile... Avoid fighter swarms, and you'll be able to eat through anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSa3l5yr2-I

You just usually need to get quite close to the enemy capitals, if they have equipped flak weapons, to avoid them shredding you.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”