Carrier problem

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Itsari

Carrier problem

Post by Itsari » Tue, 5. Jul 11, 23:30

hello i'm new @ this game and just bought my first carrier
the problem came when i launched my fighters, somehow 1 or more always get stuck inside the carrier and explode, tried with the agron and boron carriers all have this problem
does anyone have a solution for me?

thx

ps if this topic has been made before i'm sorry i can't seem to find it

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 5. Jul 11, 23:51

Generally speaking the auto-pilots are borked. With Terran capitals there is a common problem with collision avoidance kicking in soon after launch sometimes causing the ships to crash into their carrier. The nominal way to avoid this is to straff either up or down (depending on where the ships are launching from) while the fighters are launching.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

grimfear
x3tc

Post by grimfear » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 02:12

I found it is better if the carrier is stopped before launching fighters.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 02:14

grimfear wrote:I found it is better if the carrier is stopped before launching fighters.
If you do that with the Odin/Tokyo then expect to lose a few ships due to the auto-idiot.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 02:31

Which fighters do you have? It seems the autopilot prefers the slower ones.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 02:47

cmdnenad wrote:Which fighters do you have? It seems the autopilot prefers the slower ones.
I have had Cutlasses kamakazi a Tokyo, the Odin just has badly placed launch bays... need to straff up/down with the Odin (probably stationary due to both forward and aft facing launch ports)... the Tokyo you need to straff down as the launch ports are on top... with other carriers, the problem will vary slightly... but the auto-pilot does like to 90-180 sometimes when launching large wings of fighters.

Dycor
x3tc

Post by Dycor » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 04:27

If you are Commanding the Carrier bring it to a complete standstill and don't move till all its ships are dock.

You should not have any problems with A.I. controlled Carriers.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 05:02

I recommend going modified, and checking out CODEA or Anarkis Defense System. Both have modified launch/land systems that skip the docking problems, and undocking difficulties by beaming the fighters straight into space.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

breytac
x4

Post by breytac » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 08:32

I agree with Triaxx2. No problems launching/landing fighters, espeically if they are equipped with docking computers. Even without docking computers, I've had zero problems in launching and retreiving fighters.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 10:11

Personally, I do not have an issue with the need to straff to avoid having fighters crash into their carrier on launching with a vanilla game.

If the OP wishes to go modified then I agree that CODEA and Anarkis Defence Systems are potential solutions. I use CODEA from Lucikes Script Collection in my modified games.

If we are talking modified, then this discussion rightly belongs in the Scripts and Mods section of this forum. If not, then perhaps we need to list what carrier-fighter combos people are using and what they do to avoid having fighters crash into their carriers.

balistos
x4

Post by balistos » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 10:45

there is no collision issue as long as you do not personnally drive the carrier. you may be inside one of its fighter and eject first, and then command your wings to eject (and then eventually redock but i hate to drive these fat ass boats :) ).

i only use odin, no need to mod and not any collision issue so far. same maner to dock your wings back, do not be inside the carrier. collisions become more permissive (you can see fighters go literally through the carrier without colliding it)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 6. Jul 11, 12:25

I have not had this issue as long as I have kept the wings being launched to less than 10 ships. I do not launch all at once. :)

Itsari

Post by Itsari » Sat, 9. Jul 11, 14:59

sold my collosus and shark, got a zeus now this carrier seems to do fine

thx for the reactions btw

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Sat, 9. Jul 11, 15:53

breytac wrote:I agree with Triaxx2. No problems launching/landing fighters, espeically if they are equipped with docking computers. Even without docking computers, I've had zero problems in launching and retreiving fighters.
Do AI controled ships benefit from docking computer in vanilla TC?

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Sat, 9. Jul 11, 17:13

No.... only the player ship.

Same goes for:
-afterburners
-seta
-unfocused jumpdrive

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Sat, 9. Jul 11, 17:53

Flozem wrote:No.... only the player ship.

Same goes for:
-afterburners
-seta
-unfocused jumpdrive
Thanks!

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 10. Jul 11, 17:33

Unfocussed JD is a bit of a red herring as it stays with the player, not with the ship
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”