[X3TC] Couple of basic OOS defence questions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MarvinTheMartian
x4

[X3TC] Couple of basic OOS defence questions

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 01:24

It's been a while since I last set up serious OOS defence (X2 actually) and I'm pretty sure things have changed, for instance, the "laser value" for a ship appears to be directly related to the weapons energy and not the strength of the installed lasers, i.e. the laser value of my Hyperion is the same whether I have 8 GIGs installed or 1 IRE.

That's fine but I'm left wondering which lasers are most effective for OOS defence. Are shield and hull damage taken into account separately now like IS? And I'm assuming area of effect weapons (still) have no advantage OOS.

I've searched and Googled but the topics that come up appear to ask more questions than have answers.

The other thing, that's not strictly OOS, is whether home-basing ships to a carrier is enough for them to automatically protect it (I've seen it mentioned a few times that it should), I ordered a Cerberus to attack a cluster the other day and the fighters just sat there, when I repeated this giving the order to protect the Cerberus first, the fighters launched an assisted. Do they wait until the shields drop to a certain level before launching or does having docked home-based fighters just do nothing if they have no active command? If nothing, which command works best for OOS?

Cheers
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 14:18

Some OOS rules :
- ignore energy drain
- ignore AOE
- ignore ship speed
- ignore bullet speed and (mostly) rate of fire
- keep the difference between shield and hull damage

As a result you should install the maximum amount of guns, with the highest damage per shot. Here are some examples for good OOS weapons :
fighter : FBL, EMPC, MD vs capitals
corvette : CIG
capital : PSP, PPC, FAA

Without proper commands docked fighters do not engage OOS.
Right on commander !

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 14:22

Is the bug still around with ammo based weapons for OOS - if they are out of ammo, no guns will fire :(

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 14:43

OOS no energy weapon will fire if you have ammo weapon installed, regardles of the amount of ammo. So yes, if you're out of ammo, nothing will fire. :mrgreen:

Hope this will be fixed, until then it's better not to mix ammo and energy weapon OOS.

CuriosityKillsTheMADCat
x4

Post by CuriosityKillsTheMADCat » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 17:12

"Without proper commands docked fighters do not engage OOS."

And what are the proper commands?

MFG

CKTMC
Fähiger Pilot wie DU sein...
"When ships to sail the void between the stars have been invented, there will also be men who come forward to sail those ships."
Johannes Kepler, Somnium, 1634 A.D.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 19:35

As said above, commands such as "protect" the carrier.
Right on commander !

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 19:45

cmdnenad wrote:OOS no energy weapon will fire if you have ammo weapon installed, regardles of the amount of ammo. So yes, if you're out of ammo, nothing will fire. :mrgreen:

Hope this will be fixed, until then it's better not to mix ammo and energy weapon OOS.
I think you will find they fixed this problem in one of the later patches. :wink:

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 21:25

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:
cmdnenad wrote:OOS no energy weapon will fire if you have ammo weapon installed, regardles of the amount of ammo. So yes, if you're out of ammo, nothing will fire. :mrgreen:

I think you will find they fixed this problem in one of the later patches. :wink:
I'm affraid not. You can easily test it. Load your best M7/M2 with the best energy weapon and put a single Mass Driver on it. Attack something and you'll see that the only gun that's firing is the MD (no shield damage, only hull).

I remember recently someone saying that the code was put into the recent patch, but was not activated.

CuriosityKillsTheMADCat
x4

Post by CuriosityKillsTheMADCat » Tue, 12. Jul 11, 23:37

"As said above, commands such as "protect" the carrier."

Sorry, i did not read/see that :oops: .

MFG

CKTMC
Fähiger Pilot wie DU sein...
"When ships to sail the void between the stars have been invented, there will also be men who come forward to sail those ships."
Johannes Kepler, Somnium, 1634 A.D.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Wed, 13. Jul 11, 00:09

cmdnenad wrote:
SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:

I'm affraid not. You can easily test it. Load your best M7/M2 with the best energy weapon and put a single Mass Driver on it. Attack something and you'll see that the only gun that's firing is the MD (no shield damage, only hull).

I remember recently someone saying that the code was put into the recent patch, but was not activated.
Yeah, I was getting confused with the CFA fix. :oops: Personnelly I think Ammo based weapons are a waste of time. Unless you are using MDs on fighters.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”