Is there any mod to increase SETA rate?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

venku122

Is there any mod to increase SETA rate?

Post by venku122 » Thu, 14. Jul 11, 03:14

Hi I bought X3 Terran Conflict during the steam sale and its been a challenging but fun experience to get into the game. I searched the forums and found a lot of topics about SETA being used for cheating and what not. Im looking for a mod to increase the SETA rate from 10x to something much higher. At the current maximum it still takes ages to fly through a sector and takes forever to travel through multiple sectors and you have to babysit it too :(. So if anyone knows of a mod that would increase the value of the SETA could you please post the link here? i promise I won;t cheat or anything I just want to fly around in space faster.

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Thu, 14. Jul 11, 05:49

It's a much asked for feature and the answer is a resounding no. Even if it was available somehow, the game becomes unstable at some point, mostly due to being restricted to one CPU core. I wanted an option for a "SETD" which would have effectively been slow-motion. Can't have that either, but not for stability reasons, the option just wasn't made available to modders. There was one guy some time back that experimented with a memory editor to achieve up to 100x SETA but nothing seemed to come of that. He did admit stability problems (crashes). Memory hacking is usually frowned on and my greatest resistance to it would be that what you change is only "for now" and you'd have to redo it after every game reload. Also is top on the list of "you're a god damn cheat" :)

Jams79
x4

Post by Jams79 » Thu, 14. Jul 11, 05:50

incarn

Post by incarn » Thu, 14. Jul 11, 06:54

The guys who did the Time of the Truth mod have hex-edited one of the obj files to do it.

That is, they have upped the max to x20.
They also have changed it to allow the use of menus without dropping out of SETA.

Unfortunately I have asked just for the locations of those changes in the obj file without the additional features of the mod and have been refused the information.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Fri, 15. Jul 11, 11:30

What you need is a binary comparison tool. Shouldn't be too hard to identify what they've changed.

djrygar
x3ap

Post by djrygar » Fri, 15. Jul 11, 11:50

incarn wrote:Unfortunately I have asked just for the locations of those changes in the obj file without the additional features of the mod and have been refused the information.
seriously, that behaviour of the authors puts me off

they are so eager to get attention and blaze of glory that it gets funny. Someone really lost connection with reality - this is pretty niche game, and the mod is even niche within niche. I have read their forum in russian (altrough my russian is bit rusty) and it really looks they did it to impress Egosoft, and probably get jobs as XTD guys did. I cannot see any other explanation.
Instead of contributig as much as possible to community they behave like spoiled kids. This is so laughable :D

incarn

Post by incarn » Fri, 15. Jul 11, 12:09

The obj they modified is the x3story.obj.

I just downloaded their mod and used the X3 editor to extract the files.
If you just drop the x2story.obj into your L subfolder the seta changes are obvious if you start a new game.

Unfortunately I cannot use it in a current game (gives a corrupted save file error and crashes on load) and have no idea what else has been changed anyway.

Their x3story.obj is actually larger by 11KB than the cat13 x3story.obj which is the largest of them all in vanilla X3.

I tried using hex workshop's binary compare but the differences were huge. Along with the size difference it suggests they actually managed to decompile, change and recompile it. I know there was some work done towards that on the xentax forums.

It is a bit frustrating on a modding board to hit that sort of dead end. :(

djrygar
x3ap

Post by djrygar » Fri, 15. Jul 11, 12:18

you need both obj files and you must start new game to make it work

on their forum they released decompiler/compiler for KC
But JAck08 tried it and while you get internal function names, it is really hard to make up what variables are responsible for what. Either they get some help from ES or just spent a lot of time figuring it out. Kudos for that of course, but the same can be told about many scripters and modders here (including me)

fortunately, there are other means of overcoming X3 limits without ripping obj files apart and even with better results.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”