Hyperion Weapon Loadout

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

maxolina
x4

Hyperion Weapon Loadout

Post by maxolina » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 03:28

DONT SUGGEST PBGs, SRM MOD REMOVED THEM FROM THE HYPERION!!

Hello bros,

I just managed to finish the Poisoned Paranid start, pretty easy once you get your fight rank up. Just do assassination missions then that give 1mil each.

Now that I've got my Hyperion, I have no idea what weapons to put onto it.

It comes with 8 Ion shard railguns as main guns and the turrets outfitted with Pulsed beam emitters.

The problem is I cant fire for more than a few seconds and then my energy is depleted.

The fact that my turrets shoot at the targets aswell doesent help at all.
Last edited by maxolina on Tue, 19. Jul 11, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
lol

Panzerman
x3tc

Post by Panzerman » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 03:51

My favorite:

Main battery - 4x CIG, 4x EBC
Front Turrets - 4x EBC
Rear Turrets - 6x PAC

The EBC drains almost no energy, which means you can fire 8x EBC and 4x CIG at a target for a LONG time - long enough to kill a Xenon Q in one pass. It also means that the EBCs in your turrets can blaze away constantly witout draining your energy down.

Ammo lasts quite a long time, too. 150 crates is enough to have all 8 EBC going for 10 full minutes - I did the entire OFF campaign without needing a reload.

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 05:35

I like the EBCs also, have not yet tried CIG. My current HV layout is:

Main:
8 x PBG

All turrets:
10 x IRE

Laser power never goes below 99%. The PBGs destroy a Q in around one minute. The biggest problem I find with turrets is that they cause too much friendly fire, particularly when I'm doing a defend station mission. As soon as you put the stations shields below 99%, you get a warning. Then you become enemy. With many weapons this can all happen in the space of a few seconds. IREs are pitifully weak, but they are also very accurate and I can generally keep them firing even when pirate discoverers are precisely between me and a station, as I know that they simply don't miss their target. If it's a choice of turning off the turrets to avoid enemy fire or using IRE to take out a bunch of pesky M5s in around 20 seconds each, it's a no brainer for me. The PBGs are not so selective in azimuth but very restricted in range. So if there's no friendly ships/stations within 2KM, you can go ahead and toast your enemies. When you're up against M7s and above, you will take more enemy fire through being much closer. But the time that you need to be there (before enemy destruction) means your shields will still be able to save you.

PBEs:
I've toyed with these on a HV, but even with max overtune on the rudder, they simply can't hold a steady enough aim on fighters. The Medusa Prototype is very different in this regard, and the PBEs suit it well. It's not just the rudder that allows you to keep target aim, it's the max angle at which your weapon aim can differ from your ships orientation. In the case of the HV, it's quite small and thus weapons that are extremely restritive in terms of how wide their path of destruction is don't fair so well. EBCs are narrow in this regard, while HEPTs are much wider. I think ISRs are wider still (slightly) but now you're talking about seriously slow bullets and thus not as suitable against the fast turning fighters, and extremely bad in terms of causing friendly fire. You will find that IREs in your turrets will at times not fire while enemy are within range, and I'm guessing that it's because of this max targetting angle thing.

Probably the thing that will have the greatest determination of what weapons that suit you, is whether you play agile or agressive in fights. Agressive suits slower, more powerful weapons while agile finds the faster less powerful weapons more suitable.

Yesterday I was really lucky to be in Black Hole Sun at a time that I needed to boost my Argon notoriety quickly, and there was a massive Xenon invasion through the North gate. There were no friendly ships in the area, and so I simply flew in circles, hammering the Xenons with the 8 x PBGs all the while. It was truly incredible, how fast it brought up my notoriety and fighting rank. PBGs can destroy 3 or maybe 4 fighters with one firing. Later I reloaded and tried the same thing again, but this time stopping the HV near to and facing the North gate, and holding down left control and J. This meant I was firing during SETA x 10. As xenon are so dumb and have no idea of defence (only offence), they kept flying into the path of the flames, achieving the same result as above but in a shorter (real) time. This gives you an indication of the width of the PBGs path of destruction (quite wide). If I had more choice for HV turrets, I'd try PBEs.

Panzerman
x3tc

Post by Panzerman » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 06:49

glenmcd wrote:I Probably the thing that will have the greatest determination of what weapons that suit you, is whether you play agile or agressive in fights. Agressive suits slower, more powerful weapons while agile finds the faster less powerful weapons more suitable.
This is an important distinction. My style (and hence my setup) is suited to hammering capitals and other corvettes. I line up for a relatively slow, long run from a direction with weak turret coverate, and come in guns blazing and I'm willing to take a fair amount of return fire doing it.

As far as quick turning fighters and such...20% of the Hype's cargo space is enough to carry sufficient missiles to kill hundreds of fighters. M3's get a Typhoon each, and M4-M5 get an appropriate number of Hurricanes. I'm too lazy to be chasing the fast stuff around when I can just kill it with a missile from 70km.

maxolina
x4

Post by maxolina » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 22:57

I'm using the SRM mod (ship rebalance)

I can't mount PBG's on my hyperion.

I must choose between IRE, PAC, HEPT, CIG, FBL, EBC, PBE, ISR for the main guns, and the turrets can mount the same without the EBC and ISR.

Actually I'm trying to put Energy Bolt Chainguns in the 8 front guns, HEPTs in the front turrets (4 total, 2 per turret), and IRE in the back for missile defence (6 total, 3 per turret).

I dont have any energy problems right now because of the ammo based main guns, but I can't take a Xenon Q by myself without missiles...
lol

Panzerman
x3tc

Post by Panzerman » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 23:13

If you're using a rebalance mod, you should probably be asking this in the mod forum. None of the advice you're getting here will necessarily apply if your ship and others have had stats altered.

maxolina
x4

Post by maxolina » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 23:19

Ships are rebalanced such as speed and shielding.

Weapon stats are not touched.

between the weapons I posted what would be the best config to take out some bigger ships?
lol

Panzerman
x3tc

Post by Panzerman » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 23:23

I have no idea what the bigger ships can withstand with SRM. The loadout I suggested will kill a vanilla Q in one pass. I don't know what to tell you beyond that.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 23:25

Well, to be honest, I just use HEPT (main guns) and PAC (everywhere else). And I am very happy with it - it suits my playing style well and the Hyp can hammer away with them pretty much all day :twisted:

I would suggest you try EBC as well, but I don't use them personally as I don't use ammo based weaponry...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

maxolina
x4

Post by maxolina » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 23:31

I'm trying your loadout, but I have trouble finding CIGs.

Any advice where I could buy some?
lol

maxolina
x4

Where can I buy CIGs (Concussion Impulse Generators)?

Post by maxolina » Wed, 20. Jul 11, 00:10

As of title, I'd like to know where I can buy that weapons.

I need them for my Hyperion.
lol

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Cig

Post by Bill Huntington » Wed, 20. Jul 11, 01:36

maxolina, check your Enclypedia. It will give you a big list. I usually just check the producers, like Medium Weapon and CIG station, but they are sometimes at the others places too.

I find that you need a lot of CIGs through the game, so I set up Rhonkar's Trial for cloning. CIGs is one item that can cloned there. I did 60 CIGs the last time, and used them all to outfit captured and other ships.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 20. Jul 11, 01:38

You should've just added this to the end of your Hyperion thread, since you'd already talked about CIG's there, and there's no need for two threads on essentially the same topic. So I'm merging this one with the main thread.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”