Dealing with Random Red Lasertowers

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shadowman2k5
x3tc

Dealing with Random Red Lasertowers

Post by Shadowman2k5 » Sat, 23. Jul 11, 05:36

So I am playing a vanilla Poisoned Paranid start. I have completed the mini plot and got my Hyp but I have random red lasertowers scattered throughout the universe. What is the best way to deal with these? I have destroyed a couple but that causes the owning station to turn red. The one that is messing with me the most is one in Legend's Home near the Argon Trading Station. I need this station to upgrade the ships I buy from OTAS.

PLX

Post by PLX » Sat, 23. Jul 11, 05:46

Have you tried wiping that LT out by missile barrage when out of sector? Or maybe you will be lucky enough to get a defense mission on that station sometime, so "good people" will come and do the job.
As for me, I was liberally shooting photon cannons in many areas. And liberally spamming Flails and Hammers too before getting my Hyperion. When I've got it, my Paranid rep restored, but I ended up with rather many red station. So I used my Hub with 2 gates working to "put" sector with red station near to some pirate sectors an then used kind pirates help to hack red station.

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Sat, 23. Jul 11, 05:53

I've used a missile method.

1. Hop in a ship and get the tower to face the opposite direction you want to attack it from. Or just be in a ship and maneuver yourself to be behind where the tower is pointing.
2. Launch a big missile at the tower.
Hammers, toms, hammerhead/firestorm if there's a cluster, others should work too as long as they hit the tower before it can rotate in time.

Another method is a flail barrage or two, not cheap. Being out of sector should still get rep loss, sending a ship in to attack it may cause the owner station to turn hostile.

A way to get them neutral should exist so the loss of credits for the missile could be used as an argument to use the no rep loss trick.

Ebonyfly
x3tc

Post by Ebonyfly » Sat, 23. Jul 11, 05:55

The method I use is to drop 4 or 5 SQUASH mines next to the lasertower and detonate them as soon as I am out of their blast range. Local police sometimes get upset by such flagrant use of mines but they usually accept an apology. Strongly recommend saving beforehand though in case it goes wrong.

I believe you can also safely destroy them with missiles as long as you transport to another ship before the missiles hit. Never tried that method personally though.

PLX

Post by PLX » Sat, 23. Jul 11, 06:08

Oh, yes, regarding missile trick Aro and Ebonyfly mentioned — if you launch missiles, then jump to other ship an then tell missile-launching ship to jump out of sector and it does jump out before missile impact, then you are not responsible for damage/destruction those missiles do!

Shadowman2k5
x3tc

Post by Shadowman2k5 » Sat, 23. Jul 11, 06:29

Great thanks I will give these a try and report back.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 23. Jul 11, 08:19

Ramming them in a springblossom one by one also works.

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Sat, 23. Jul 11, 08:43

I launch a bunch of big missiles at it from a distance, then use turbo to eject myself on opposite side of lasertower. Command ship to jump to other sector, then tease the lasertower into aiming at me instead of the oncoming missiles. Just don't be right next to the LT when the toms explode :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”