X3TC Starting a Mobile Mining Operation (Advice Pls)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Black0_0Fire

X3TC Starting a Mobile Mining Operation (Advice Pls)

Post by Black0_0Fire » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 07:27

Sorry in advance for the wall of text that follows. :oops:

Ive been scanning XU for the last few days reading everything I could find on setting up mobile mining operations. (Never did this much studying to pass a single course in 4 years of college.. including economics) I get the impression Im spending more time reading than playing. And while I think thats actually pretty cool, it hasnt answered my question.

I started as Humble Merchant and Iv managed to stay Harmless rank for quite some time with the hopes of minimizing hostile presence until I can get my industrial base up and running.
I think I have a solid (but small) economic base already set up.
A few lvl 1+2 food production facilities in core sectors.
A rimes fac + wheatfarm (though it seems a little dysfunctional, because i always seem to need to SEND it money...)
Separate wheatfarms and teladianium foundries to fulfill some local sector desires.
And now in Argon Prime iv got a nice complex with lvl1+2 food with 2 1MJ shield, 2 IRE forges, and a PAC forge. All just for making money.
I tried setting up a small scale closed-loop in Antigone M because I saw the big numbers on my asteroid scans, but using the complex calculator it seems like Id have to go a lot bigger to make it work. An M spp just doesnt seem to be worth it at this point as it can hardly support a single L mine with food and 2 crystal M fabs.

What I have learned from this and from a lot of reading, is that perhaps mobile mining might be a far more efficient solution.

My goal in this thread is this: I would like to know how to set up a small scale silicon/ore mobile mining operation, with the intention of expansion later so that I might handle the seemingly monumental task of the HUB/PHQ later.

First i need to state a few assumptions that I am now working with (Please do correct me if Im mistaken):

1) Im not particularly interested in mining nividium. Yes, I know you can make incredible amounts of money with it very quickly but that is not my primary goal at the moment.

2) Automation is good. Im willing to step in from time to time to handle problems or drop off a TL load to a particular location like the HUB. But I would really like to see this operation run fairly smoothly without much intervention. Im fairly comfortable with CLS1&2 and I think I can use those to good effect.

3) From what ive been reading it seems that mobile mining is a better solution than setting up L mines all over the place. I saw a few ideas that sounded cool about setting up a mine on the wrong kind of asteroid and using that as a drop-off point for miners across a zone and then using CAG/CLS to distribute the minerals. Or using a TL for essentially the same purpose.

4) I like the idea of keeping the npc factories stocked with resources so that they produce constantly, but are a few (4-5) TSs running "mine and trade" command in a sector like Ore Belt or Herons going to be enough?

5) I like the idea of crystal farms, large complexes whose specific goal is to mass produce crystals, which I imagine is far more efficient to transport around the galaxy than energy cells. (would really like an example of one of these set up)

6) Id like to stay in core sectors for as long as possible for security reasons, even if they are imperfect.

7) Ive read that rocks and asteroids re-spawn? Does this mean I can set up in a sector and not be concerned about the resources drying up?

Ive seen 50+ miners and solid-state transportation threads, which look really awesome. Ive also tried the manual controlled starting version of mobile mining, which is pretty boring. What Id like to see are the steps in between. Preferably some step by step guides, or even good advice

Please feel free to direct me to other threads (Ive made a lot of bookmarks over the last week or two :P ). Im sure that Im not the first person to bring up this issue.

Black0_0Fire

Of course, immediately after i hit submit....

Post by Black0_0Fire » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 07:46

Right after I posted this question I started reading deca.death's TMI thread, and wow those are some really good suggestions. :lol:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=301999

However I am still curious to see some mobile mining set-ups/hints and tips. :D

cattafett
x3tc

Post by cattafett » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 08:24

my mobile mining gos like this
1 TL (Norm Argon) and 10 TSs {1} (norm Split miner) set to collect rocks
1 TS (norm Otas Super frieghter) with CLSmk2 set to Load from two TSs then unload to TL repeat till all TSs have been seen to
the reason i use the Split miner and the Otas Super frieghter is you set the CLSmk2 to load full cargo bay (the super frieghters not the miners) with the surply at 40% that way the CLS will only collect when the miner is near full
1 TL (Norm Split for speed) with CLSmk2 set to collect from rock collecting TL and to take where needed {2}
set the Split TLs surply at 90% that way it leaves to load up when it can get a full load and the store/collect TL won't be full and can work to collecting the next load

small rock respawn all the time when OSS not sure about IS
if you blow up a big rock (one you could lay a mine on) after some time it will respawn but not if you place a mine on it

1 for one Crystal fab complex i've got 100 TS collecting the CLSmk2 was a bitch to set up and i've still not renamed them all
2 i use Advanced Complex-Hub makes life so much simpler
those UFOs you hear about are just what you tried to explaine to me going over my head
Advanced Complex-Hub you know you need it Catta Fett's D.O.G.S Vanilla safe mod collectionyou don't need them but you want them
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

deca.death
x3tc

Re: X3TC Starting a Mobile Mining Operation (Advice Pls)

Post by deca.death » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 09:16

Black0_0Fire wrote: Please feel free to direct me to other threads (Ive made a lot of bookmarks over the last week or two :P ). Im sure that Im not the first person to bring up this issue.
First things first:
Mobile Mining quick setup

There are useful stuff in deeper in the thread so din't give up reading too easily : ) (I should edit that one too, I know...) This setup (20 fully automated miners) nets me enough silicone for two huge energy plexes in Akeela's and one 50 fab chipplex. Nuff said.

And, since you've mentioned it, transporting energy is possible but crystals would be much handier. I choose Akeela's for energyplexes because of high sun there and much faster energy production. Mentioned 50 fab chipplex +support food industry requires 5 mistral SFs in constant transport loop and both fabs are quite close to gates. That says all really ; )

For aspiring young industrialist in rising best advise I could give is to use bonus pack extensively, CAG to each factory keeps headache away. If you need to combine plexes, pour excess from one to other CLS1 is your friend. For automatic resupply and storage use CLS2. You will need trained pilots for that. Here, read:

Kor'ah CAG/CLS pilots training guide

CLS/TL resupply guide

Black0_0Fire

Thanks

Post by Black0_0Fire » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 20:04

Thanks for the responses. Looks like Ive got more reading to do. :P

cattafett I like your idea and the adv hub looks sweet but Im trying to keep my game as vanilla as possible for the time being before I start playing with scripts.

deca.death I have been using Kor'ah's guide successfully for a while now and Ive already got several Logisticians. Now I think Ill finally have a good use for them. :P The CLS/TL resupply was new and I think I had started on the mobile mining quick setup but it looks like I should prolly keep at it till the end.
Thanks again.

cattafett
x3tc

Post by cattafett » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 22:19

the adv hub won't stop change your game from vanilla as it only changes the model
those UFOs you hear about are just what you tried to explaine to me going over my head
Advanced Complex-Hub you know you need it Catta Fett's D.O.G.S Vanilla safe mod collectionyou don't need them but you want them
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

deca.death
x3tc

Re: Thanks

Post by deca.death » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 23:43

Black0_0Fire wrote: deca.death I have been using Kor'ah's guide successfully for a while now and Ive already got several Logisticians.
I used 5 M5s at the time for pilot training purposes, now I use 7, but 10 wouldn't be too much really. Make a habit of having 5-10 TS ships (I usually use Mistrals or Caiman haulers or Mistral SFs if I need plenty of room) fully upgraded. All software on, trained pilots - to jump in when and where needed. It will make your life much easier. I use Aran for storing ready-to-use TS ships.

Black0_0Fire wrote: Now I think Ill finally have a good use for them. :P The CLS/TL resupply was new...
It's incredible system that will keep all of your big ships full of ecells, "tanks" at important stations like terracorp or OTAS hq (basically TSes filled with e-cells) and missile ships fully supplied at any time, fully automatic. Saves plenty of time and brain cells, really.

Black0_0Fire

Thanks again

Post by Black0_0Fire » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 21:19

Thanks again for the responses guys. catta I took your advice and installed that adv hub, and you were right works like a treat. :D And deca.death iv now got a couple of your TMI missle retailer plexes up and running so an even healthier cash inflow to work with.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”