Will Rebirth be smaller?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Slashman
x4

Will Rebirth be smaller?

Post by Slashman » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 16:02

I'm not sure what info has been released about Rebirth and its relative size, but I wonder.

With the focus seeming to fall on larger, multi-purpose stations, does it mean that there will be less sectors and less smaller stations doing single functions?

I'm curious as to how it will work...
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 16:13

Unknown. I'm wondering if it might be modular, what with mention of shut off gates to some parts of the universe. Perhaps later parts become 'unlocked'?

A smaller universe would be nicer for my laptop to run however!

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 16:18

well as for the size of the galaxy, id imagine it will be slightly smaller, perhaps larger sector sizes tough. but there hasn't been anything i have read officially stating that fact.

i personally think te whole point in the station (or at least the way im taking it) is rather than building multiple stations and linking them together via a complex kit, what you will do it build a single station and in a way upgrade it with additional attachments. i would think you will have single stand-a-lone stations just he method in which you build complexs are different.

but again this is just what i took from what ive read and saw

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 16:23

Building large complexes in X3 is, frankly, a mess. It takes half a dozen modules before a complex gets interesting. At that point it's already a twisted maze of tubes and docking hazards. Making a powerful complex without mods is a nightmare on both the player and CPU.

I think Egosoft is going in the right direction by making complexes into smaller and more complete packages. It also allows factions to adopt different philosophies for complex design. Maybe Split complexes are really military outposts that use slave labor as part of training. Maybe Boron factories are highly efficient and independent, but woefully expensive. Maybe Teladi factories are sprawling masses that favor asteroid bases. Maybe Argon bases are highly modular and flexible. There's plenty of options to explore.

Oh, I almost forgot. Please, please put GUNS on complexes! They are in dire need of self defense, especially in the more wild sectors.
Last edited by Bobucles on Tue, 2. Aug 11, 16:27, edited 2 times in total.

EarlHarewood
x3tc

Post by EarlHarewood » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 16:24

I concur with that one, I think they are going for hte modular complex setup rather than the whole tubing/laAAAaagggggG approach. Would make perfect sense.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 17:17

I don't have a problem with them making complexes less convoluted and messy.

I also don't want to have each sector dominated by a single all-purpose station with no point in exploring.

If they are saying trading will be different and that you will be picking up goods from one station module and simply dropping them off at another...I dunno. It almost feels like you won't have to leave a sector.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 18:01

Bobucles wrote: Oh, I almost forgot. Please, please put GUNS on complexes! They are in dire need of self defense, especially in the more wild sectors.

If I actually saw what I thought I see in the teaser trailer than I think your wish is already granted. :wink:

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 18:08

I also don't want to have each sector dominated by a single all-purpose station with no point in exploring.
my impression is that sectors will be much larger locations, with (possibly) several large stations seperated by long distances yet connected by trade lanes. (Or not, in the case of pirate bases or other special locations.)

There might be clusters of stations too.

My current thinking is that there will be modular stations for the most part and a handful of specialized unique stations like SPPs, Spacedock, Pirate, and Mine.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 18:58

There are a couple of quotes suggesting that the new universe is infinite in size. And there is no random generation of sectors/maps/whatever they are.

What we don't know is whether there'll be anything worth finding/building out there. It may be designed so most of the activity (including player) happens in smaller areas.

But, we'll have to wait and see!

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 19:03

Yes, what with these new modules please allow some sort of point defence... thing. Maybe between modules you can put a thin module which is basically a flak ring and shield generator and docking bay or something?

Oh god I can't wait to get modding this... :roll:
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 19:24

weapons would be nice, even if the bulk of stations are only max upto anti corvette but have large weapons for anti cap ship (bigger and more powerful than even the M2 heavy weapons) on more military style stations such as outposts/HQ stations and so on so that it takes like a minimum of something to the effect of 2 M2's 1 M1 2M7's and that kind o thing just to make a successful attack.

although the one thing i would really love to see is something to the effect of interceptors weapons like you get on EA ships and ststions from Bab5, i think that is a bit much to ask though.

also i dont know how they could make an 'infinate' galaxy without there being some sort of random sector generation. but i would like to start being able to jump into a more specific area of the sector, even if you need to have an advanced scout in the sector to scan the area to ensure its clear before you can do it. be good for defence, a freighter comes under attack by a pirate m7 and you can jump your M7 in right on top of them!!!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 21:47

Please keep Rebirth discussions to the existing threads. Thank you.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”