[X3TC] Fighter Drones MKII Complex: Worth it?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rwhiteruff
x3tc

[X3TC] Fighter Drones MKII Complex: Worth it?

Post by rwhiteruff » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 08:53

There are no more advanced drone facilities in my universe. I haven't used the buggers, but I was thinking of using them for shield suppression or point defense distraction during boarding. So I drew up plans for a self-sufficient complex in Rhy's Desire here: http://tinyurl.com/3k82cgo

Opinions?

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 09:28

For In-Sector use I don't rate the MK2 Drone. It is too slow and easy for
the AI to hit. I much prefer the faster MK1.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 09:46

Never used them too but people say they are very effective in combat. Not that are necessary for shield suppression, but I guess they can be used if you like. Other problem with them would be micromanaging in issuing attack /hold commands, and need to be in a ship with free docking bay to collect them later.

Anyway complex is too big I believe. if you having way selling/dispatching them successfully, it's OK for money making. For combat operations 2 factories would probably be more then enough.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 09:56

75-150 Mk2 drones in a M2's hold does make for a nice surprise. It's standard gear for the slower M2s I use like Titans and Rays. A blob of those are enough punch to quickly drop a M7 and can work over, or even destroy, another M1/M2.

Then there is a TL with a cargo hold full of the little buggers if you want to take things to the extreme. Used OOS they can all launch, wipe out a station or two, and return home quickly.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 10:28

You can launch a whole bunch of them out of a ship with hangar bay to use as pseudo fighters. If you mass produce your own, you probably won't care as much if they get lost and they're a lot cheaper then fighters. 50 PACs do pack quite a punch....
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 10:28

Capping with drones is only for TP based ops. They cannot be commanded to shield attack en masse: you have to issue the command one by one.

But for this purpose a dozen drone will do, you don't need more.

Build that factory only if you want to use them as fighter support for destruction. If you just want to try the capping business then buy a bunch of M5 fighters.

rwhiteruff
x3tc

Post by rwhiteruff » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 11:02

Thanks for the advice. I'll drop my plans. I like to conserve nice juicy 'roids for good plexes. Every sector I put one in completely kills my game's framerate. :p

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 13:40

Fighter drones in general are essential for cpaital ship combats. If you learn the way how to use fighter drones then you will be master to plan the outcome of any situation.
In Xenon sectors you may end up in a situation where many Xenon Ns will circling around you. You can not outmaneuver them.
A simple method to attack the enemy with drones then give them the order to defend your ship. It will work as enemy magnet :D

So the real question is do you wanna buy fighter drones or wanna supply yourself? ;p
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Gswine
x3ap

Post by Gswine » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 15:58

Set up some mk1 and 2 drone fabs and then add a couple of adv sat fabs to it. You get a supply of drones and the NPC's will come to your station and buy the sats at well over the average price.

You should find the thing becomes profitable enough to warrent setting it up. You don't really need a large number of astoroids or to use valuable high yeild ones and depending on what kind of loop you build, little need for attached TS's, whether CAG, CLS or sell/buy commanded.

This kind of plex can be very useful for establishing yourself in early game.
She was right. Selection B4, His most recent hit, 'Nowhere Nuthin' ****-up,' a sentimental number.

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 17:18

as Gswine suggested i wouldn't build a complex just for building these, or laser towers, i just dont think they are worth it, but what i have done is build them into an exisiting weapons complex, i used US 20,5 to make a capital ship equipment complex for my own use. that way after buying a ship i have a single stop and i can fit out my cap ship with weapons, missiles and sheilds.

i use MkII's for OOS freighter defence, shuve 10 of these in the hold and your capible of at least holding off attackers long enough to jump your ship with its more valuable cargo out. and because i can produce them as an extra they dont cost me anything.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”