Wings movment speed control?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Balrog1978

Wings movment speed control?

Post by Balrog1978 » Sun, 21. Aug 11, 01:22

I have a mix of Shrikes/Boreases/Heavy destroyers in my fleet - when I command the Wing to attack - for instance - naturally - the smaller Shrikes tend to move ahead of the fleet - this is bothersome especially when facing pirate/xenon/khaak destroyers - which makes mincemeat of the shrike !!!

Is there any way to keep the Wing to move at the same speed and within the fleet order the Shrike to stay at the back perhaps?

My formation is XDelta or delta FYI..

Shootist
x4

Re: Wings movment speed control?

Post by Shootist » Sun, 21. Aug 11, 01:44

Balrog1978 wrote:I have a mix of Shrikes/Boreases/Heavy destroyers in my fleet - when I command the Wing to attack - for instance - naturally - the smaller Shrikes tend to move ahead of the fleet - this is bothersome especially when facing pirate/xenon/khaak destroyers - which makes mincemeat of the shrike !!!

Is there any way to keep the Wing to move at the same speed and within the fleet order the Shrike to stay at the back perhaps?

My formation is XDelta or delta FYI..
Have everyone follow, or protect, the slowest ship(s).

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 21. Aug 11, 02:32

My only question is why would you have a wing of big ships? If you do in fact have them follow/protect the lead ship, you end up with your ships dodging each other more than getting in position to fire their guns.

If you feel you must have wings, build the wings based on the speeds of the ships. Fast ships, all around the same speed, in this wing. Slow ships, in that wing. You then have control of when the faster, lighter armored ships make contact.

AzaIndustries
x3tc

Post by AzaIndustries » Sun, 21. Aug 11, 15:27

Does telling fighters to protect a ship only make them enter combat if that ship takes a bullet?

I'm having a hard time controlling all my ships when I need to. When I want them in battle they lag behind when I wan them to retreat they don't listen..
My only question is why would you have a wing of big ships?
How do you control a fleet of big ships? I'm having trouble just controlling my small army of fighters.

Balrog1978

Post by Balrog1978 » Sun, 21. Aug 11, 22:33

ancienthighway wrote:My only question is why would you have a wing of big ships? If you do in fact have them follow/protect the lead ship, you end up with your ships dodging each other more than getting in position to fire their guns.

If you feel you must have wings, build the wings based on the speeds of the ships. Fast ships, all around the same speed, in this wing. Slow ships, in that wing. You then have control of when the faster, lighter armored ships make contact.
well - im pretty much doing ratting missions - combat!! Once these big guns enter the fray - the battle is over in minutes - I use my VIDAR for limited dog fighting !!!
The NIGHTMARE starts when you tell the Capital Fleet to "Attack all" - when confronted with an opposing Xenon Qs - my shrike gets pwned because it races ahead!!

I did try to indivudually set the Shrike to Protect my slowest but most powerful capital - but that temporarilly removes it from the Wing!!! Doesn't respond to Fleet Wing orders!!!

The constant back and forth to the Ships menu using 'R' and selecting makes life miserable!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”