System Override Software?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Oldman
x3tc

System Override Software?

Post by Oldman » Mon, 29. Aug 11, 14:29

Yo! :)

How does the system override software work in X3TC?
Could anybody explain, or post up a link that would point me in the right direction please.
I've got it installed in one of my ships, but I can't seem to fathom out how you actuate/use it. :(

Oldman :)

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Mon, 29. Aug 11, 14:45

It just makes it easier to claim abandoned and bailed ships. Instead of flying out in your space suit, you should have an option (on the target menu) to claim an empty ship from the comfort of your pilot seat. For some reason this is highly illegal... :?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 29. Aug 11, 14:48

There are two systems that work well together,but I get confused as to which is which.

If this is the one you to allow you to claim ships then...

When a ship is pilotless , you can just nose in close to the target and claim the ship without leaving the ship your are in.

It is illegal to use this software , so the Duke has the other software which hides it.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 29. Aug 11, 14:57

TTD wrote:It is illegal to use this software , so the Duke has the other software which hides it.
That would be the scrambler device iirc. But having a ship docked with the device should be ok as police generally scan player ship, not dock ones.

rwhiteruff
x3tc

Post by rwhiteruff » Mon, 29. Aug 11, 15:50

I have to wonder why this upgrade is so zomg illegal that it is the only illegal option that necessitates its own prima dona detection scrambling upgrade that you can only get from one place in the universe ever.

It's... barely even a convenience, really. It saves you a single eva operation, that's it. Seriously, wtf? :P

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 29. Aug 11, 21:54

That same question was asked over and over again when the S.O.S. first made its appearance in Reunion. Never heard a good reason. Don't think we'll ever get one. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

DreadedEvil
x4

Post by DreadedEvil » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 06:36

Maybe it is illegal for reasons we aren't able to use it? Maybe it is illegal because hackers were stealing docked ships while the pilots were walking around the station.

webba84
x3ap

Post by webba84 » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 07:14

Maybe it's illegal because someone made a rushed, arbitrary design decision and it's too small an issue to change it, even if anyone noticed or cared :P

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 09:38

webba84 wrote:Maybe it's illegal because someone made a rushed, arbitrary design decision and it's too small an issue to change it, even if anyone noticed or cared :P
I dont think that is the case. What else purpose have for the software signature scrambler? (ohh well just find one... to hide internal security lasers :D)
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 10:42

My theory is that it's illegal because it was intended for capturing ships rather than just claiming them. So for instance if you could get the shields down and stay close to your target, you could use the SOS to hack their ship and turn it over to you. Then someone rightly decided that was waaay too powerful and disabled it. That would explain the ridiculous price and legal status at least.

Urineartist
x3tc

Post by Urineartist » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 21:36

It doesnt seem worth the money to me, I never buy it, nothing wrong with a wee space walk now and again to feel the spaceflies in your hair...

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 21:55

I find it very useful in some games. Getting caught outside in your suit is instant death if you're raiding/missioning in hostile sectors.

It may not seem like it saves "that much time" compared to EVA, but if you're playing hostile to Argon so you have no transporter devices to get you back to your ship quickly? A fast police M5 with IRE's suddenly becomes a very real threat.

Being able to claim ships on full-speed flyby and stay on guard vs local police or other hostiles while getting your "new" ships out of the area is huge.

But playing more of an econ-based or otherwise race-friendly game it's not particularly useful, that's true.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 22:13

Try hopping out of your massive destroyer to claim a small ship (assuming you want to). Chances are, you'll end up several km from the intended target. I always carry SOS on my big ships for claiming prizes, and even on my small ones once I have enough credits that the cost becomes irrelevant. I'll even get the SSS if I'm on good enough terms with the Duke.

And yes, I do like to claim all those little ships, even when I don't really need them, or the cash. :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 22:28

There used to be a great use for sos in early vanilla TC patch versions when used in combination with carrier command software. Back then in certain assassination-type missions you could capture carriers that had many docked neutral fighters crewed by 'No Pilot'. You used the carrier command software to get the fighters to launch and the sos to claim them for yourself as they undocked or redocked. You could pick up some fairly rare fighters that way too. The exploit was later fixed of course.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 22:35

Is the scrambler device available from anyone but the Duke? I think I remember reading somewhere it was available from some pirate bases. :gruebel:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 22:39

Only the Duke. In vanilla.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 31. Aug 11, 22:55

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:Is the scrambler device available from anyone but the Duke? I think I remember reading somewhere it was available from some pirate bases. :gruebel:
Not as far as I know. You might be thinking of X3R (where it showed up rarely as a BBS offer or mission reward).

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 1. Sep 11, 00:15

Only thing is, to claim ships you still need to be just as close to the target as if you were going EVA, the only difference is that you don't need to eject from your ship- pretty useful if you find having to eject all the time tedious :D

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 1. Sep 11, 01:47

Sovereign01 wrote:Only thing is, to claim ships you still need to be just as close to the target as if you were going EVA, the only difference is that you don't need to eject from your ship- pretty useful if you find having to eject all the time tedious :D
It depends on the size of your ship - in an M2 you can claim fighters from 1km or so.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 1. Sep 11, 03:11

A very good reason to go modded.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”