OOS Weaponry for a Shrike

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StarSword
x3tc

OOS Weaponry for a Shrike

Post by StarSword » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 08:34

This evening I, um, "salvaged" an M7 Shrike. I outwitted the police by docking the Shrike at the Yaki shipyard in Senator's Badlands, then sat back with a bowl of popcorn as this little fight opened up. The fighters got barbecued, then this happened.
[ external image ]

Yeah, that's M2 Akuma versus M7 Cerberus, head-on. Not pretty.

Anyway, after patching up the Shrike at the shipyard, I started fitting it with shields, fighters (my new favorite: Tenjin, 9xHEPT, 2xPAC), and software. But I'm not sure what to arm it with. I'm not going to be using it personally, so it will mostly fight OOS, and unless they fixed it at the 3.1 patch, Gauss cannons, like other ammo-using weapons, are buggy OOS.

So, here's what I planned:
  • Fixed-axis: 8xIBL
  • Stern: 2xCIG
  • Port/Starboard: 2xIBL
  • Dorsal/Ventral: 2xFAA
Does this look good?
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

deca.death
x3tc

Re: OOS Weaponry for a Shrike

Post by deca.death » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 09:17

StarSword wrote: Does this look good?
It does, but your plan of using it OOS doesn't : )
Fly it yourself, you've been flying same old ship too long. You are gonna spoil yourself with that insultingly overpowered thing (lately I fly Panther very often ; ) Shrike is a real man's ship, slow, ugly and turns as pregnant cow. I like it. It is most devastating anti capital M7 platform in game. And it carries pinch of fighters, just to spice up things. Try it out, at least for a while.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 11:14

That is a good OOS setup, although FAA on the sides is a bit better than IBL.
Right on commander !

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 12:17

The only bug with ammo-based weapons OOS (AFAIK) is that, if they run out of ammo, NONE of the guns on the ship will fire anymore. Simplest solution there is to not let them run out of ammo! :wink:

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 13:26

pjknibbs wrote:Simplest solution there is to not let them run out of ammo! :wink:
No that would be not using ammo based weapons at all ; ) Crucial advantage of those weapons OOS is lost anyway, and all bad sides remain and are increased (with energy wepons is other way around). Best to avoid them completely OOS.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 13:58

It is worse than this - if you use ammo based weapons OOS, no other weapon ever fires, even if there is plenty of ammo left.
Right on commander !

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 17:02

That's not true. I've put a couple of Guass on enough M2s and they pop things just fine OOS.

Why is FAA on the sides better? IBL does more damage, so is better for OOS.

And keeping ships with a decent cargo capacity supplied with ammo is no great problem. OOS consumption isn't all that fast, ok faster than IS but nothing extreme.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 17:32

Sorry, but this has been fully tested ; OOS and IS combat are not the same.

IBL does less damage (on average) than FAA OOS. This is part of the bias towards low firing rate weapons.

Mixing ammo and non ammo weapons do not work OOS.
Try this : buy a Skiron, max shields ans speed, install as may energy weapons as you wish and some MD (with ammo). Send the ship to battle : you will see opponents hull slowly decreasing, but their shields will never go down.
You can test this further by uninstalling the MD. Watch the result as energy weapons come back online.
AFAIK this is the same for all ammo based guns. Of course, GC deal quite a bit of damage on its own, so you may miss the effect.
Right on commander !

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 19:24

Well that's a load of smeg if you'd excuse me. Not annnoyed at you, but the fact that if you search "OOS" be that weapons or ships, almost without exception the advice is:
Put the biggest weapons you can in each slot.
Hence Boreas with 32 PPC and 8 IBL. The prevailing advice also says that PSPs are only worth it if you can charge them.

Now after your comments I find this buried in the depths of the german forum...:
Point_Singularity_Projector: 312571
Starburst_Shockwave_Cannon: 134004
Photon_Pulse_Cannon: 81236.3
Ion_Cannon: 152653
Flak_Artillery_Array: 87299.1
Incendiary_Bomb_Launcher: 63582.6

Where the numbers are average damage whilst OOS. Do those look right to you? PSP being almost 4 times better than PPC? This is irritating to say the least.

And yes, I just tried out the ammo thing. Put one Guass on a boreas and ordered it to attack a station. It was doing about 2GJ shield damage per round, and then when I swapped it back out it one shotted the station with over 50% shields left. I really thought they'd fixed that ages ago.

All I have to say is Gahhh! :evil:

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 19:59

Infekted wrote:Where the numbers are average damage whilst OOS. Do those look right to you? PSP being almost 4 times better than PPC?
Indeed. As I said, do not assume IS and OOS weapons strength to be similar.
Right on commander !

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 20:10

Infekted wrote: Now after your comments I find this buried in the depths of the german forum...:
Point_Singularity_Projector: 312571
Starburst_Shockwave_Cannon: 134004
Photon_Pulse_Cannon: 81236.3
Ion_Cannon: 152653
Flak_Artillery_Array: 87299.1
Incendiary_Bomb_Launcher: 63582.6

Where the numbers are average damage whilst OOS. Do those look right to you? PSP being almost 4 times better than PPC? This is irritating to say the least.
This doesn't look right. OOS value of damage should on all indications be DPS value of weapon, which is only logical way. This simply makes no sense.

Anyone...?

And yes, I just tried out the ammo thing. Put one Guass on a boreas and ordered it to attack a station. It was doing about 2GJ shield damage per round, and then when I swapped it back out it one shotted the station with over 50% shields left. I really thought they'd fixed that ages ago.
So you say it's true? Ammo based weapon are only one that do damage? Man this is bullsh*t. I never use them OOS anyway but I occasionally sent in my flagship boreas to assist gatekeepers on xenon push-throughs. OMG I have MAML filled Aegir guarding one of the stations - gotta correct this right away ...

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 20:27

Geek wrote:
Infekted wrote:Where the numbers are average damage whilst OOS. Do those look right to you? PSP being almost 4 times better than PPC?
Indeed. As I said, do not assume IS and OOS weapons strength to be similar.
I knew that of course. But assumed due to the majority of the advice on these forums that PPC/IBL etc were better than flaks.
The PSP thing is extreme! I planned to go to war with the terrans and try and hold their sectors with OOS defense fleets. The relative strength of the PSP/SBSC makes it a little more daunting than it already was...

Deca -
I got the figures from here:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 63#2771763
Maybe your german is better than mine. OOS is very complex, its not based off raw DPS. From what I can gather some sort of hidden "laser strength" value, although I could be way off the mark.
This thread has a lot of info on it, if you can make it thru the techy stuff:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=249331

Yeah the ammo thing is true. Fitting one Guass gimped my Boreas by an extreme amount.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 20:54

Logical or not, it works that way.
And yes, PSP are totally overpowered OOS. An Osaka with a single bank of PSP (nothing else) can one shot any ship in the game.
Right on commander !

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 21:04

Geek wrote:Logical or not, it works that way.
And yes, PSP are totally overpowered OOS. An Osaka with a single bank of PSP (nothing else) can one shot any ship in the game.
So... basically you are saying that I bought .... how much let me see ... 24-8=16 x 30 = 480 PSPs and 720 SSCa in vain...? Oh swell, 1 billion credits ... right down to the drain ...

I must test this ... off to attack TUS3 osaka OOS...

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 21:48

That is not exactly in vain.
OOS combat is turn based, in each turn the attacker can do between 0 and a multiple of the average damage of all its guns. So the higher that total, the higher the chance you will kill the target.
Right on commander !

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”