X2: Boron Ray, best weapon combo!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Yapa
x2

X2: Boron Ray, best weapon combo!

Post by Yapa » Mon, 12. Sep 11, 16:28

Hi,

Started playing X2 again, going through the story as I never did it (always play sandbox).

I have the Ray but not sure which weapon combo is best for this beast?

Any tips are welcome :)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 11:11

There may be some old posts on this subject ,if you use http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search ... gosoft.com.

This search checks all available posts,not just the most popular or recent ones.

But which armory to put where is really a subjective topic ,as it all depends on what you are going to do with it.

In my current game (TC) I have many ships without any at all,even ones I fly personally.

Of course it's no good going to a full battle with just a handful of Alpha IREs when playing X2 .

Yapa
x2

Post by Yapa » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 11:58

Thanks for the reply.

I'm doing story and it will be my primary ship apart from the Hydra.

So I guess I wanted something that will keep me safe in the story missions so I can get thru it and start story in X3:R :)

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 13:20

There is not much choice for weapons in X2.
Just put the largest PPC allowed in each slot.

The storyline can be done with a good M3, though.
Right on commander !

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 21:33

Geek wrote:There is not much choice for weapons in X2.
Just put the largest PPC allowed in each slot.

The storyline can be done with a good M3, though.
The latter is very true.

As for weapons, start by collecting Gunnery Crews. Then add a selection of weapons. Crews on "Action Stations" do choose quite wisely. PPC is good, but gHEPT is actually stronger against hull. Against missiles or fast targets something lighter is better.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 23:48

I've always liked a 2xPPC + 1xID for Ray turret setup in X2. The IDs provide constant missile screens while the PPCs are firing, and destroy the shields and equipment of anything stupid enough to get close - good for invading Xenon sectors where you get loads of Silkworm-spamming Ms slipping through your PPC screen and Ks zipping around at uncomfortably high speeds at close ranges.

jlehtone wrote:PPC is good, but gHEPT is actually stronger against hull. Against missiles or fast targets something lighter is better.
I thought GHEPT was just generally more powerful than the GPPC, with the tradeoff being range?
But either way, if you can get gunnery crews definitely carry both. Depending on your fighting style you could choose either HEPT or PPC as your main weapon, but I'd say prefer PPC so you don't *always* have to move in to <2km. At least, assuming I'm right. If not, sorry for the misleading info.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Nightwatch
x3tc

Post by Nightwatch » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 23:52

I always thought the Xenon K being a high speed brick was one of the coolest things about the early X games. I was sad then they nixed that in X3 :(

I might load X2 onto my laptop for trips, actually. It cant handle X3, but X2 would be no big deal and there were things about X2 I liked.
<--- Stings like a butterfly. Flies like a brick.

See My X videos here http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=24E544BDA13A0125

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”