I will pre order Rebirth.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

frankzappa

I will pre order Rebirth.

Post by frankzappa » Mon, 12. Sep 11, 22:48

I just wanted to tell you that I really support you Egosoft.

I hate modern gaming in general. I have played games for nearly 30 years, and I have seen them peak, but then get worse and worse and worse. In the good old days, I used to have games like Elite, and the early Rainbow 6 that was super challenging, Syndicate, System Shock, Gunship 2000, Ultima Underworld, Hidden & Dangerous, etc...

Nowdays gaming sucks. EA bought all the best companies and killed them. Games are all dumb, blood boobz explosions for dumb kids who don't know any better. So amongst all the big mainstream crap, I am thankful that there are at least a few really good games. I am very excited about Arma 3, and King Arthur 2, and X: Rebirth. If it wasn't for games like this, I would have quit gaming completely.
Last edited by frankzappa on Tue, 13. Sep 11, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

Dank7430
x3ap

Post by Dank7430 » Mon, 12. Sep 11, 22:58

:D :D :D :lol:

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 12. Sep 11, 23:09

I sort of agree about the way games have gone down hill , even in the past 20 years.

Annals of Rome,anybody ?
Who got past 70AD in that game?
I only got that far before all my citizens deserted :evil:

Yep, I love strategic games or management games that make you think.

Arkanoid or Space Invaders were ok for light entertainment.But how many of us still play those today?

I can't think of any other series of games that I have spent so many hours playing,as I have with the X series.

Still not sure about Rebirth though.
I will buy it,as it is based in the X-space continuum, but will it keep me playing beyond the 20 hours of the story line? I hope so.

blackfire83
x4

Post by blackfire83 » Mon, 12. Sep 11, 23:16

I think I'm with TTD on this one. I think I'll buy Rebirth (both because I wanna see what they're gonna do, and because I really feel the need to support the last company really dedicated to space sims), but I'm a bit uneasy about the direction it appears to be taking. Here's to hoping that it's better than I'm anticipating. Or that, at the very least, it's a solid foundation for modders to build from. :)
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums...

X3:TC - Battlemaster, Master Industrialist

Dank7430
x3ap

Post by Dank7430 » Mon, 12. Sep 11, 23:53

Speaking of classic games I recently found my old snes and a copy of starfox brung back so many memories. I realy hate games nowadays, speaking of which I was a big square soft fan then when they became square enix I was ok but they started going down hill and when they finally made FFXI and FFXIV I just gave up on them completley. So yeah EGOSOFT till I die haha.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 00:04

I'm definitely preordering, but only if there's a DVD release. (F***ing HughesNet won't let me use Steam.)

EDIT: Okay, based on the other threads, looks like there will be a DVD release.

Yay...
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

intolerantbass

Post by intolerantbass » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 00:55

Having a game totally kick your ass due to the amount of variables and the difficulty does not happen very often anymore .

I agree with previous posts here that the golden age of pc gaming is long gone and I feel we have almost been forced to virtually rely on console ported dribble to entertain ourselves on our computers .

I am a new X player ...only a couple weeks now but I have alot of respect for any software company that still has some focus on developing a game that has some vision and difficulty to it .

I will be buying Rebirth . I'm going to buy TC as well even though Ive only scratched the surface of X3R .

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 01:18

I'm still waiting on some real details about the game before deciding on if I will pre-order. Egosoft has managed to say allot, and nothing, at the same time about their new game.

Some gameplay videos, outlines of some of the rule sets (tradeing, combat, building, movement) and some useful information on the interface. Yeah, it might lead to some hyperventilating here, but the mods look bored anyway. The point is we need real information that we can base a purchase decision on.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

frankzappa

Post by frankzappa » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 02:23

Yeah I am hoping for a lot more info too.

But like "intolerantbass" said above, I have a lot of respect for a company like this. I sometimes wondered if good gaming and perhaps PC gaming would die. But when I look at games on the horizon like Arma 3, (and Rebirth), it just shows that the PC is still healthy. Arma 2 was only available on PC, so obviously it must have sold pretty well to warrant such an impressive sequel.

I have thought gaming was in a downward spiral for quite a lot of years now. However people say that gaming is now more profitable than both the movie industry and the music industry put together... So if it is that big, then I always hoped that amongst all the huge budget mainstream Call of Duty type games, the would be room for some more niche games like this. It seems that wish is finally coming true! It would be so nice if the industry has become big enough that games like X, Arma, etc.. can all exist side by side with games like Call of Duty and Mass Effect etc.

But it takes companies like ego to achieve that. I think it's easy to just sell out and start mass producing blood n guts games for the masses, but to find a niche that you are passionate about, and fill that niche with great games... that's really cool and I wanna do all I can to support that.

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 02:53

i will deffinatly preorder if its on steam, i love steam, and 95% of the games i play are on in!

i do worry about over simplification of games, i have seen game after game become more "user friendly" and loose both the core audience, and any new useres.
Jovianmoon wrote:
apricotslice wrote:...auto-pillok...
Are we ready to collide with that asteroid?
Yes sir! Engaging auto-pillock!

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 07:53

i do worry about over simplification of games, i have seen game after game become more "user friendly" and loose both the core audience, and any new users.
This is what worries me too.

If the game is too simplified,I will be one of many who stick to what we have come to know and love.
I will be playing from the start to finish,and playing all the full conversion mods on the way.That should keep me happy well into retirement !

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 08:43

TTD wrote:I sort of agree about the way games have gone down hill , even in the past 20 years.
Gentleman, there are many good games now - maybe more then ever, you are just getting older, that's all ; )

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 11:01

deca.death wrote:
TTD wrote:I sort of agree about the way games have gone down hill , even in the past 20 years.
Gentleman, there are many good games now - maybe more then ever, you are just getting older, that's all ; )
I have to agree with the sentiment. When I was a young'un, you could count the number of game releases per year that weren't laughable tripe on the fingers of one hand. But we played those games for hours and hours because there was literally nothing else. Nowadays there's dozens of options, less time to play them, and standards have risen exponentially. The effect is that your enjoyment is diluted so that no game seems to be as great as the ones you played in your youth.

Everyone who is recalling the past is doing so subjectively, without exception - and it really wasn't better back then!

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 11:35

The effect is that your enjoyment is diluted so that no game seems to be as great as the ones you played in your youth.

Everyone who is recalling the past is doing so subjectively, without exception - and it really wasn't better back then!
Back then programmers made good use of available memory space,because the computers of the day were nowhere near as high spec as today.

Full operating system running a quarter-screen video in black and white within 18 Mebytes of total memory and 1GB Hard-disk, anyone?

So we got a lot of good programming back then,as there was not there space to waste.

What counted back then was playability and addictability.

Today the masses seem to want mega explosions,bright colourful graphics and blood/gore.

Sorry,but these are not what makes a game playable for more than just a few hours.

Why pay up to £45 for a game that is the same as most other games and finished within a week with nothing else to do with it,when you can buy another game for less and still play on for years after the plot/plots have been done?

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 12:02

TTD wrote: Why pay up to £45 for a game that is the same as most other games and finished within a week with nothing else to do with it,when you can buy another game for less and still play on for years after the plot/plots have been done?
Nobody is suggesting you should buy those games. Just that they existed back in the 'golden age' too, only they didn't have shiny graphics or cool explosions either. There were literally 100s of cheap breakout clones, asteroid clones, mario-alikes and other unoriginal, made-for-quick-profit games back then, which us old farts conveniently forget about when remembering how great it was in the old days and how you'd never get a game as difficult as Contra now.

Don't confuse what is popular with what is good. Call of Battlefield Modern Gun Polishing 7 might sell eleventy-million copies on the first weekend but it is not the pinnacle of gaming today. There are plenty of good, engrossing, deep and replayable games being made too.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 12:20

TTD wrote: Today the masses seem to want mega explosions,bright colourful graphics and blood/gore.

Sorry,but these are not what makes a game playable for more than just a few hours.
Well yes those things tend to be more pronounced, yet then need not to inhibit quality of game, if game possesses it already. I can point up dozens of great games I have played over the years, and yes some of them tend to be more simplified or have stunning graphic and explosions and still manage to turn out great.

One of my favorite examples is Mass Effect serial, game that has some issues, manage to appeal to all target population groups, is pretty simplified and yet awesome. Further more we have Witcher serial, then Dragon Age I, then whole Total War serial, amazing and astounding STALKER serial as FPS /RPG hybrid, one of best and definitely most atmospheric games I ever played. Then half life very good shooter, if you want new ideas and creativity try mirrors edge or portal. Both great. Furher more we have TES serial, from older titles to morrowind, oblivion and newest skyrim, gothic serial that had some amazing titles as well... I could go on and on like this you know ; )

D.O.S.
x4

Post by D.O.S. » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 12:49

Lol
I Have seen games get Better & worse over the years Starting with Computers like the Vic20 to the modem day PC I have never been one for consoles (2Basic)

I have owned A copy of every X-Game that has been made & XRebirth will be no different

Most modem games are played for 10hrs or so Then put away never to be played again (Even When Suicidally board LOL)

Not the X-Seires you may do something else for a week or so but you always return to X
OS:MS Windows 10 Pro x64 / Cpu: AMD-FX Piledriver 8350 @4.0Ghz / Mb:GA-990FXA-UD3 / Memory:16Gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical @1866
Gpu:Gigabyte Nvidia 770GTX 4GB GDDR5 / Storage:Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB System, WD Caviar Green 2TB HD Data & Games / Display:24" Asus VG248 1920 x 1080 @144Hz + Nvidia 3D Vision Kit
Input Devices:Razer Deathstalker / Razer Oruoboros / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog / BroadBand:EE 4GEE MobileBroadBand (50Gb PCM)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 13. Sep 11, 13:23

It's lovely to hear it, but please keep discussion of the new game to one of the existing threads. Thank you.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”