M8 Barrage

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Coupaholic
x3tc

M8 Barrage

Post by Coupaholic » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 10:01

Me again,

It's no doubt a quick question that has already been answered but I can't find it...alas Google has failed me.

So, I'm doing OK in my game - in the last day or so I decided to dabble in complex building, now I have my own eCell loop complex and a mini missile silo to get a head start on wasps, hornets and tomahawks for OFF.

I also purchased a shiny new Hades and decided to take it for a test spin, loaded with 20 freshly made missiles still hot from the oven. On wandering around Grand Exchange I was lucky enough to find myself a lonely Q playing with the shipyard. Well I couldn't let him play all alone now could I?

I fired a single missile....and it got shot down. I fiddled with the command console and found the barrage command. I believe my words were 'stick this up you're tailpipe."

I entered 5 and let rip. I read that it'll only take a few missiles to down a Q but after that assault I didn't destroy the Q, I vaporized it.

So the question is, how many missiles IS in a single M8 barrage? I'm flying a Hades if it matters (all Paranid in this play through) and I get the impression that it would have fired more missiles if I had them.

Oh, sorry for the long winded-ness. But it was my first personal Q kill and I wanted to brag :)

detees

Post by detees » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 10:15

One barrage is 8 missiles. so you should have fired 40 missiles with your 5 barrages. but you should easily see it when you look at your roket counter :)

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 11:26

P.S. Vapourising it with high yield missiles doesn't count as a personal kill. Kill it with guns then come back ;P

Coupaholic
x3tc

Post by Coupaholic » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 11:44

Infekted wrote:P.S. Vapourising it with high yield missiles doesn't count as a personal kill. Kill it with guns then come back ;P
Well be fair, the way the Q get's talked about on here I knew my ass would be handed to me in anything less than a hawk spitting instrument of death. Besides, according to the stats I killed it, and that's good enough for me ;)

Detees, thanks for the heads up.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 11:52

The only reason the Q is so feared as its basically one of the few enemy M7 or greater ships the player comes across.
You can easily kill one in a fighter. Its got massive blindspots. Have a go, you may suprise yourself =}

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 11:59

Infekted wrote:The only reason the Q is so feared as its basically one of the few enemy M7 or greater ships the player comes across.
You can easily kill one in a fighter. Its got massive blindspots. Have a go, you may suprise yourself =}
Also it's capacity to destroy all but the most heavily armed and shielded destroyers in OOS combat make it much talked about.

IS it can be troublesome if you are in anything less than an M7, but not once you work out its weaknesses.

Coffee-Man
x3tc

Post by Coffee-Man » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 12:02

The OOS strength of the Q is shared by many M7s of the races, like the split or boron ones. That's mostly because speed (and I guess rudder too) is a factor in the math behind OOS combat. Uba-Weapons like IBL/PPC * high-speed and rudder = massive amount of destruction.

But Gazz can explain it far better than me...

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 12:10

heratik wrote:
Infekted wrote:The only reason the Q is so feared as its basically one of the few enemy M7 or greater ships the player comes across.
Also it's capacity to destroy all but the most heavily armed and shielded destroyers in OOS combat make it much talked about.

IS it can be troublesome if you are in anything less than an M7, but not once you work out its weaknesses.
As pointed out by coffee dude, thats true of almost any M7 or greater. Speed factors in, so the Tiger and Panther are just as deadly OOS. Especially player ones which are fully upgraded. Unlike "naturally spawning" ones.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 12:17

Infekted wrote:
heratik wrote:

As pointed out by coffee dude, thats true of almost any M7 or greater. Speed factors in, so the Tiger and Panther are just as deadly OOS. Especially player ones which are fully upgraded. Unlike "naturally spawning" ones.
True, but like you said, most people don't come across enemy Tigers and Panthers OOS unless they are playing some RP game where they are unfriendly with CW races.

And although your own fully armed M7s CAN deal with Qs OOS, if they get an unlucky roll of the dice, they can also be taken out by a Q just as easily, a very expensive loss....

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 12:19

Exactly... Hence my comment its one of the few enemy M7s the player will come across. Hence its fearsome reputation. There's nothing that special about it, aside from that fact.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 12:31

Probably when it turns around and blasts you with a full battery of IBL as you approach. ;)

Yeah, a single barrage of Tomahawks does 5GJ of damage. The Q maxes out at 4GJ of shields, so one is technically overkill to destroy it.

The reason they're so dangerous is the way Out of Sector Combat works. Fastest ship goes first, and those rare fully tuned Q's are faster than any other capital class.

Out of Sector works by adding the total damage of all weapons mounted, regardless of position of mounting on the ship. A fully armed Q will do 11GJ of damage in a single 30-second turn.

Which means that only three destroyers have the shielding necessary to survive that initial salvo. Thus it's very, very dangerous when the Player isn't around.

Admittedly it's still pretty dangerous when the player is around, but not as dangerous.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 12:49

Tiger and Panther both also max out at 121m/s. Same as the Q. Same stuff different day. You just don't get Tigers and Panthers regularly pounding on your assets...
Also found out the other day courtesy of Geek. FAA does more damage OOS than IBL or PPC. And the PSP does roughly 4x as much as a PPC in OOS combat... Also the SBSC does considerably more than any Commonwealth weapon in OOS combat.

Coupaholic
x3tc

Post by Coupaholic » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 14:30

Food for thought - I am aware of how OOS works but up to now I never had reason to worry about it. I have settled on the two unknown sectors next to Unholy Descent to build and base myself, and since they are so devoid of life I hope to ignore the OOS thing a little while longer.

I may try to tackle the next Q I come across in my Diemos if I feel brave, since I have banned myself from using PSG it should be a more interesting scrap!

Would that suffice as a 'proper' player kill? ;)

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 14:34

Nice sectors :) Some of the best imo. Tho keep an eye out for pirate bases unless you're on good terms with them.

That would do nicely :) You could probably ram a Q to death in one of those :D

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 20:08

Coupaholic wrote:I may try to tackle the next Q I come across in my Diemos if I feel brave, since I have banned myself from using PSG it should be a more interesting scrap!

Would that suffice as a 'proper' player kill? ;)
As a player who regularly squishes Q after Q after Q in my Hyperion, using an M7 seems a bit like overkill :p

If you really want to challenge yourself, try it in am M3. Spitfyres are probably easiest cos you can turn and high tail away from the Q when things get hairy, but I'm a big big fan of the Yaki Tenjin for all combat duties :D It's possible, just a touch harder :p

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 21:20

Kirlack wrote: As a player who regularly squishes Q after Q after Q in my Hyperion, using an M7 seems a bit like overkill :p
Actually, Q is quite nasty opponent IS, sometimes it's easier to kill with agile smaller ship then with larger one : ) Q's are fast and agile and have devastating forward punch. Sure they can't fire those 8 IBLs and 4 PPCs at you for long but they don't need to. AI is not expected to live too long, only to deal as much damage in short time as possible, Q is perfect for that. 3 of those in group will give hard time even to boreas. If you cant approach from side, there is no way that you will strife whole damage away, tried that in shrike many times. 20-30% of shield will go down. Panther does better ; )

rwhiteruff
x3tc

Post by rwhiteruff » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 21:47

I took out a Q over the weekend in a scimitar, but it wasn't exactly easy. It did make me feel slightly embarrassed over my initial thread on this board a month or two back where I was whinging about Qs in the initial OFF mission. :oops:

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 22:25

rwhiteruff wrote:I took out a Q over the weekend in a scimitar, but it wasn't exactly easy.
It's not suppose to be easy. Q is agile and if you are in fighter then you cannot afford to many mistakes. M6 does it much better, even if he peppers you from any of his turret, it doesn't matter too much (PPCs cannot track you if you do your job right)

Osiris454
x3tc

Post by Osiris454 » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 22:42

With M7M's I kinda wished that the missile amount in 1 barrage was a direct result of how many missile tubes you had. The Minotaur has 12 up top and 8 on each side, so 1 barrage would be 28 missiles. It would make things interesting.

Coupaholic
x3tc

Post by Coupaholic » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 22:49

Osiris454 wrote:With M7M's I kinda wished that the missile amount in 1 barrage was a direct result of how many missile tubes you had. The Minotaur has 12 up top and 8 on each side, so 1 barrage would be 28 missiles. It would make things interesting.
Agreed, that's what threw me. Since it only has 2 missile turrets I assumed each barrage was a pair - and up to 8 in an M7M where there are more tubes to be used and more cargo space to be able to spit out plenty of missiles.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”