Nothing compares to X2 M2 class ships in R or TC :(

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Yapa
x2

Nothing compares to X2 M2 class ships in R or TC :(

Post by Yapa » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 13:16

Hi,

Just finished the plot in XT-The Threat and my ship build was as follows (to do plot/story only)

1x Ray (personal ship) - fully equipped
1x Octopus (shuttle ship in sector for docking)
2x M3 ships for support/quest areas requiring M3 and for dog fighting
1x Hydra for support for Ray (supply missles etc)
1x Dolphin for supplies of ecells etc

Now I'm starting X3R plot and noticed no M2/M6 can carry any ships.... so I cant really have a shuttle ship like I did.

The only option would be the Hyperion M7 but thats a special ship, my only option is TL which is useless for fighting or M1 which is just too big and slow...

Any suggestions on a similar build to my X2 above in Reunion?

Thanks,
Yapa

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 18:08

You mentioned R or "TC", the M7 is not a special ship in TC and are readily available in all shipyards with one ship each race (two for the split).

For your purpose i think a Cebereus would do well enough (the argon M7).

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 19:50

@Mightysword: He just finished X2, and is now playing Reunion. I think he mentioned TC for reference.

@Yapa: In answer to your question, there's no 'build' in vanilla Reunion that will do what you want. It was one of the major complaints and the subject of many threads when Reunion came out. A lot of players chose the Split Elephant to fulfill that role early in the game because it could mount some PPC's and was fast. Many also tried to burn through the Bala Gi plot sequence to get the Hyperion as soon as possible.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 20:38

First, an interesting fleet for X2. 8)

Second, no comments about X3TC.

Third. the main "story" of X3R predominantly puts you into some ship of not your own, so it matters less what you do have in your fleet. The Bala Gi quest lets you choose your own vessels, but in truth it is a bit boring with a serious fleet at your command.

As for X2/X3R differences, Nanook did sum up the main points. M6 and M7 can dock at all stations, so the shuttle is less obligatory. But bricks don't really count, do they?

M2 is indeed isolated behemoth, unless one has Goner Transporter Devices all over. Those, and Docking Computer and Jumpdrive pretty much remove the need to travel vast spaces. Sure, it is annoying micro-management to enter a sector with M5, transport to M2, commence battle from point blank range, and still remember to tell the M5 to move out of harms way. :shock:

On the other hand some M5 can use Jumpdrive. Both faster than enemies and blinking around too. That leaves even the X2 Pegasus to dust.

My choice for moving base has been a Split M1 Raptor. It is fast. It has teeth. It can carry personal fighters and then some. Furthermore, I had a Raptor before entering Farnham's Legend for the story errand. That was a long time ago. :goner:

To complete the listing of a Task Force:
* M2 Python, when the Raptor has to rest
* M3+ Chimera, for M3 tasks
* M4 Mako, for M4 tasks
* M5 Raijin, for M5 tasks
* TS Caiman Hauler, loot collector and refuel
* TP Toucan Hauler, a Tour Bus
* M6 Dragon, purely for sentimental reasons

Expensive, but that lot has created literally billions of credits.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 20:55

jlehtone wrote: * M3+ Chimera, for M3 tasks
* M4 Mako, for M4 tasks
wait ... I thought those kind of missions are gone from X3. Those "you need an M3/M4/M5" mission is probably one of the most annoying thing for me in X2 and I was glad they're gone from X3 (at least I don't remember ever seeing them). I'm not talking about those that make sense like the race missions need M5 or tour missions needing a TP. But those "New chip release M5 required" or "Party whisky delivery for M4" are gone.

Unless by tasks you just mean general task.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 19. Sep 11, 21:02

X3R has almost the same BBS as X2 (but less frequent missions). :(

X3TC does not have BBS and missions have been reimplemented.

Yapa
x2

Post by Yapa » Tue, 20. Sep 11, 07:32

Mightysword wrote: For your purpose i think a Cebereus would do well enough (the argon M7).
Thanks for the suggestion, when I get to TC I will definitely look into this beast, holds quite a few ships. For now I'm playing R :)

And yes sorry for the confusion, I put both in there but really wanted to know about R as some M7 do hold ships.

Its disappointing that the Boron M7 does not, as I'm a Boron ;)
Nanook wrote: @Yapa: In answer to your question, there's no 'build' in vanilla Reunion that will do what you want. It was one of the major complaints and the subject of many threads when Reunion came out. A lot of players chose the Split Elephant to fulfill that role early in the game because it could mount some PPC's and was fast. Many also tried to burn through the Bala Gi plot sequence to get the Hyperion as soon as possible.
I can see why people were upset, thats how I felt when I checked the X3R database... well I actually played over 100 hours in custom X3R game when it came out but never got past M3 really :)

I thought about the Hyperion too but I'd like something I can get earlier on, might look into the Elephant or even Orca as its slightly slower but has heaps more capacity for supplies.
jlehtone wrote:First, an interesting fleet for X2. 8)
Thanks, must have noticed the Boron influence!
jlehtone wrote: Third. the main "story" of X3R predominantly puts you into some ship of not your own, so it matters less what you do have in your fleet. The Bala Gi quest lets you choose your own vessels, but in truth it is a bit boring with a serious fleet at your command.
Ohhh so it forces the player to use one of the plot desired missions? Hmm that doesnt sound fun because there are so many ships you could use.
jlehtone wrote: M2 is indeed isolated behemoth, unless one has Goner Transporter Devices all over. Those, and Docking Computer and Jumpdrive pretty much remove the need to travel vast spaces. Sure, it is annoying micro-management to enter a sector with M5, transport to M2, commence battle from point blank range, and still remember to tell the M5 to move out of harms way. :shock:
Indeed, my setup in X2 was great.. if I needed to dock at a station for the story or any other purpose I would swap from my M2 into my docked M5 and fly there. When returning I would fly up to the M2 and then issue the M5 an order to dock with the M2, straight away I would be placed in the M2 and back in the captains chair :)

jlehtone wrote: On the other hand some M5 can use Jumpdrive. Both faster than enemies and blinking around too. That leaves even the X2 Pegasus to dust.
Really in X3+ the M5's can be equipped with Jump drive? Seems a bit unbalanced, should only be allowed in large ships like in X2 :(
jlehtone wrote: My choice for moving base has been a Split M1 Raptor. It is fast. It has teeth. It can carry personal fighters and then some. Furthermore, I had a Raptor before entering Farnham's Legend for the story errand. That was a long time ago. :goner:
Will look into this, but didnt want to go all out with an M1, but might just have to save up and do that.
jlehtone wrote: To complete the listing of a Task Force:
* M2 Python, when the Raptor has to rest
* M3+ Chimera, for M3 tasks
* M4 Mako, for M4 tasks
* TS Caiman Hauler, loot collector and refuel
* TP Toucan Hauler, a Tour Bus
* M6 Dragon, purely for sentimental reasons

Expensive, but that lot has created literally billions of credits.
Ahh I see, so the story requires you to use various ships, such as M5, M4 etc etc... that is why you have a ship for each task? But it doesnt always force you to use a specific ship, just a specific class?

Thanks for the info to all, very helpful! See you in orbit :)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 20. Sep 11, 08:45

Ahh I see, so the story requires you to use various ships, such as M5, M4 etc etc... that is why you have a ship for each task? But it doesnt always force you to use a specific ship, just a specific class?
Nope, it put you on a specific ship (usually under-equipped and under-tuned). Half of them mission does not even count on you to do anything, rather just try to stay alive and move around to trigger/wait for the next event script. Really disappointed really.

They also lock out all your other assets during mission, so you can not use your own ships to help even remotely :shock:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 20. Sep 11, 10:36

Yapa wrote:Ahh I see, so the story requires you to use various ships, such as M5, M4 etc etc... that is why you have a ship for each task?
Sorry no. That is for BBS missions. Nothing to do with the plot.

IIRC, the starting Buster should be sufficient for the plot.

Yapa
x2

Post by Yapa » Tue, 20. Sep 11, 11:37

Ohhhhh that is very very disappointing :(

Why would they do that when you work so hard to build you fleet, you should be rewarded for the hard work and be able to use your assets in the plot, or at last in 80% of it.....

Thats how X2 story was, I used my ships from start to finish.

Please tell me TC is different? :cry:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 20. Sep 11, 23:23

Why would one "work hard to build a fleet", if one could "finish the plot" with the Buster?

For many, the "real game" does in include plot, just a sandbox. Of the over 70 ingame days of X3R in my game less than one was spent on the plot.

You are right; there is no compelling reason to do anything in the sandbox. However, it is still a sandbox of sorts.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”