An apology

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

strude
x4

An apology

Post by strude » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 01:39

Dear Egosoft

During the speculation era of information, I was quite negative in my view towards Rebirth. The lack of information regarding the way the new game worked caused me great concern that I would not enjoy the style of game X-Rebirth was becoming.

This new information release has changed my mind for the better. While I'm still not 100% sold on some of the changes, and still have some concerns about how certain elements will "play out", I must admit that I have gone from pessimistic to slightly optimistic.

At this point I offer you all an apology for my negativity, as I think many of my initial fears look to be put to rest. As long as the implementation of this vision can be executed as described in the information stickies, then Rebirth should offer a great game play experience.

Strude
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Walkop
xr

Post by Walkop » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 01:52

Very good of you, Strude.

dphantom
x3

Post by dphantom » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 02:56

Very nice apology post. :thumb_up:

I first knew about the X universe in the X2 era, right before X3 came out. I only ever played X3, and have pretty much been absent ever since, skipping on Terran Conflict entirely.
Until recently news about X Rebirth started coming and I have been silently reading the forums again and following all the info closely.

Never actually felt pessimistic about the game, on the contrary, though I remember reading a lot of angry and upset posts around the Rebirth forum. These recent news actually made me very very happy. Lots of info and good news.
There were some things I was concerned about, some were clarified for the better, some not.
I'll probably miss piloting some ships, even the capital ones, and I actually liked the gimmicky menus. Not sure about all that "talk to the NPC" thing (a bit anti-social I know :P ), a bit afraid that "all info at a glance" might be lost.
But hey, those are minor stuff, one rarely finds a "perfect" game, and no game can please everyone 100% . I was very excited about this game and now I am A LOT more, I am sure to buy it right when it comes out!

Congrats Egosoft and never stop making these awesome games. No one else in the world seems to care about this forgotten genre! Keep it up!
Nothing to see here, move along!

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 22:33

I'd just like to chip in a little on this front as well. Over the years i've been fairly critical of many of the aspects of the X-games, and with every iteration they seemed in many ways to be moving further and further away from what i really wanted from a space game. It was always just adding more and more on top of what for me was a very tired and increasingly dull framework
By Terran conflict i had lost most of my interest in the games, and spent the smallest amount of time on TC i have on any of the games. Despite it having the most features of all the x series, so much of it was just repeated from the earlier games that i'd done it all to death already. I did the plots played a bunch of missions and that was it, game over. I've not even bothered with half the patches and the additional content they added

But i still kept an eye on things in case anything interesting came along. Given my Apathy i'm sure you can understand that when 'The next big thing' was finally announced as another x-game i was a) disappointed and b) Completely disinterested. The first few bits of information tha came out did nothing to change that viewpoint, and i was pretty certain i wouldn't be bothering with it.
So by chance last night i popped in to visit and saw there was a new X-universe news. That togther with this threads stickies did something ithought was impossible- It got me excited about the game. So many of the fatures discussed are exactly the kind of things i've wanted to see since XBTF. It sounds So much better then the last few x-games have been and appears to finally be moving in the direction i've wanted- To Feel like i'm the one out flying a spaceship and exploring a living universe, and not like i'm flying MS Excel with some flashy graphics.

So thanks a lot egosoft. Keep up the good work.

PS. Oh and while you're gutting things can you please this time make the economy Feel like a real economy and not just something to explain why every factory is empty all the time? There are supposed to be PEOPLE in the universe, so why is it that the only things that are made, are for use in spaceships? Seriously did NOONE eat anything but meatsteaks? Where did everyones clothing come from? Did noone have tvs, fridges, ovens or their future equivalents? What about Carpets, curtains and the like? People will still want to decorate every now and then. Building materials? Entertainment? Books? etc.

OK rant over :)
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

amtct
x3ap

Re: An apology

Post by amtct » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 22:46

strude wrote:During the speculation era of information, I was quite negative in my view towards Rebirth.
When and where?:lol:

OnlineKenji
x3tc

Post by OnlineKenji » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 23:09

Wouldn't it be funny if the people that were positive and optimistic posted an "I told you so" on this thread?
There are only two things in life that matter, and I have them both. They're not what you might think, and once you learn that you'll be much happier.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 01:06

Lol, I'll be happy to accept I told you so after the release. They still need to implement the features listed in the stickies as described. I can see the concept now, and my opinion of Rebirth is improved, but if the vision isn't implemented properly, there is still a chance my doom and gloom outlook can still come to pass.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

OnlineKenji
x3tc

Post by OnlineKenji » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 03:53

:lol: You're totally right. A good idea isn't much if it isn't implemented well.

However, they've been working for 4 years, so I think they will do great. Plus, they're dedication to improvement will polish any rough spots in time.

The potential with this design is great, and this series' modding community will be able to fill in the blanks as usual :). I know that the modding is yet to be seen, but they've stated that it will have more XML elements, which should make adding things much more modular and manageable - which should increase the available pool of mods tremendously.
There are only two things in life that matter, and I have them both. They're not what you might think, and once you learn that you'll be much happier.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 10:08

There are one or two things that I did not like at the beginning of the minimal press releases and 2nd hand reports.

The more I read and the more video reports I see, the more enthusiastic I feel.

However , approaching this from the aspect of "a new game" , is far easier for me than looking at it from the X "Trilogy" angle.

Many current players and most long term players know the X-Lore.
We understand ,and have read in the X-Encyclopedia , about the destruction of the current Gate system and how societies get alienated once again ,forcing closer cooperation between those that develop means to communicate again.

But XR will be so different from what we are used to that I think we will be divided into yet more "camps".

There are already players that only play one of the X games ...Some only play Reunion while others play X2 or BTF,completely ignoring TC and how it has developed over the last three years.

This is good in some ways ,particularly as there are always players available to help new players to each of the series.

But there is a saying " United we stand...divided we fall."

Many of us will buy Rebirth,simply as it comes from Egosoft , and we want them to succeed and continually support us,while we in turn support them.

I hope there is enough addictiveness to Rebirth to keep me playing it.Else I will fall into the TC players group or even start over from BTF again.

So in summary ... Yes I am still a little negative, and need convincing ,but at the same time I am looking forward to playing the game , just to say I have done the plot line.
After that...who knows :?:

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 09:53

There was a guy somewhere on the forums that was freakishly negative towards X:R, not sure if it was you, but he REALLY needs an I told ya so.

I too had doubts, but after the resent stuff Egosoft posted I don't think I'll play another game, ever.

So in short, Good on ya Strude! This is the first time I've seen anyone on the internet apologize for something!
-passes ya some cider-
[ external image ]

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 20:13

I somehow think that that was Skeeter. Although could be someone else. ;)

The Cuban Nightmare
x3

Post by The Cuban Nightmare » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 21:16

In any event, I am going to say what I said with people waiting for Brink and Skyrim: keep calm, make cognizant suggestions (yes that is a word), and support your opinions in a valid manner. It's easy to complain and hard to fix things.

I find this image quite prudent:
http://unrforliberty.com/wp-content/upl ... ussion.jpg

{Oversize image replaced by link. Please review the forum's image posting rules. - Nanook}
I'm your worst nightmare....

Apocalypse Incorporated; destroying a planet near you!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 23:49

And I would suggest you stop trying to moderate the forum. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 00:46

amtie wrote:I somehow think that that was Skeeter. Although could be someone else. ;)
Someone else as in not Skeeter, or Someone Else as in the forum user with that name? :lol: Though I don't think he's been active for a while. :? Hopefully I'm never classed as "freakishly negative" though. That sounds like a lot of work, and I'm just too lazy for that sort of commitment. :roll:

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 20:18

No, someone else as in another person. :D

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”