player bound to a single ship

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bill2505

player bound to a single ship

Post by bill2505 » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 02:38

what this mean that you will not be able to change ship.
am i the only one that worries about this
also is there going to be a seamless planetary travel

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 02:46

The info we have up to now states that we will be on board a large, modular and customizable ship. However, we will be able to control a variety of drones remotely for some dog-fighting action.

I'm not sure on the 2nd question. You mean travel from one planet to another? Or atmospheric flight? For interplanetary travel, we will have "highways" what accelerate our ship to high speeds. Atmospheric flight, I have no idea on that one.

bill2505

Post by bill2505 » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 03:00

caleb wrote:The info we have up to now states that we will be on board a large, modular and customizable ship. However, we will be able to control a variety of drones remotely for some dog-fighting action.

I'm not sure on the 2nd question. You mean travel from one planet to another? Or atmospheric flight? For interplanetary travel, we will have "highways" what accelerate our ship to high speeds. Atmospheric flight, I have no idea on that one.
so we will not be able to change ships .this is one of the worst features i have ever heart .i am afraid rebirth made a turn towards casual category .at least can this be changed throught modding.
about planet i mean will you be able to visit planets like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spVypYk4 ... re=related

(to be clear i am not try to troll or something)

Seon
x4

Post by Seon » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 03:25

They might be going the path of Darkstar One on the player ship. Only get one ship, but you can upgrade it into something even more powerful.

bill2505

Post by bill2505 » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 03:32

Seon wrote:They might be going the path of Darkstar One on the player ship. Only get one ship, but you can upgrade it into something even more powerful.
who :evil: :evil: in egosoft thought crap like this
i dont care how powerfull is going to be. it is like saying that in a race game you cant change car only upgrading it whats the point of a sandbox the game .if i wanted something like that i would play game like this http://flashgamesdownloadswf.com/wp-con ... s_img1.png not a modern sand box game.what if i dont like the crapy ship egosoft is going to give to the player

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 04:17

We have to wait for more info on what we can control or not. We CAN fly other ships, you just control them remotely (combat drones). We do not know yet if we will be able to control larger ships (corvette class for example).

This has some advantages. We can fly small M4/M5 class ships, and we will not automatically lose the game if they go *splat* in some M2 windshield. It makes more sense that the player sits in the position of a commander, and not a grunt pilot.

I do understand the sandbox aspect of the game as well, but there have to be certain limitations in place to guide the player in the direction Egosoft wants us to go. It seems they want us to move to the role of commander, and make the game more tactical/strategic (ordering ships to disable turrets/shields/engines), while still retaining the ability to manually fly some ships (VR controls). Personally, I like the direction, and sincerely, after 3 full games plus countless mods, we kind of need something new...

Seon
x4

Post by Seon » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 04:21

XBTF had only one ship you could pilot. And it is loved by many here. This seems like an improvement on that imo. They are using part of a concept that has worked for them in the past, and improving on it. I was a little shaken by this 1-ship deal, but so far that's being swept under the carpet.

Musicker
x3tc

Post by Musicker » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 07:38

People need to relax and check it out before making judgements on whether they will or will not buy it.
I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to get input from those of us who are absolutely, without a doubt going to buy it and try it when it's finally released.

Sure, they're limiting us to a single player ship, but they're expanding other aspects. You couldn't walk around the ship you were flying in previous games.. that alone sounds like a super cool feature to me.
i9-12900K 8P/16 + 8E 3.20GHz
2TB Seagate® FireCuda® 530 Heatsink (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6900 MB/s
64GB (32GBx2) DDR5/5600MHz Dual Channel Memory
GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 08:35

Musicker wrote:Sure, they're limiting us to a single player ship, but they're expanding other aspects. You couldn't walk around the ship you were flying in previous games.. that alone sounds like a super cool feature to me.
Sounds like a super useless feature to me. Honestly...
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DJ0JJ
x4

Post by DJ0JJ » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 09:06

Gazz wrote:
Musicker wrote:Sure, they're limiting us to a single player ship, but they're expanding other aspects. You couldn't walk around the ship you were flying in previous games.. that alone sounds like a super cool feature to me.
Hey, don't get mad at something you haven't seen yourself. Its not X4 or any traditional X game and we got to deal with that, so until we don't try the game, get easy, be happy that something its coming soon.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 10:22

Gazz wrote:
Depend, if it has an interface and fully moddable, we can add a lounge, a strip bar, some arcades, double beds ...etc... it "could" be fun.

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 10:46

i reserve the right to reserve judgment on how awsome/lack of awsome this feature is untill the game is out
Jovianmoon wrote:
apricotslice wrote:...auto-pillok...
Are we ready to collide with that asteroid?
Yes sir! Engaging auto-pillock!

Ludicer
x3ap

Post by Ludicer » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 11:00

also being discussed here : http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=307828

Just wanted to mention for those who missed the topic, and post the thread's link instead of making several quotes from there :)

Playbahnosh
x4

Post by Playbahnosh » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 12:43

Chillax people! Don't be hasty in drawing conclusions from a few snippets of information. Go read the sticky where they explain the new playership/drone concept.

As I see it, nothing will be taken away from the look&feel of the old control scheme. In vanilla X3 and TC there were no cockpits or bridges, only a HUD, and it was the same for all ships from tiny scouts to capital ships. Just like if you had been controlling them from the same VR system all along. At least I always roleplayed it that way (when I got access to bigger ships in my games, I always named one of them my "flagship" and roleplayed that when I switch ships I only VR control those other ships while staying safe and sound aboard my flagship.)

It looks like the Egosoft guys read my mind :)

Aside from having a canon explanation why there are no cockpits for all the hundreds of types of ships, this brings many improvements. For one thing, you won't "die" when your drone explodes. If you have the cash, you can now go on literal suicide runs with your drones. :)

Second, this removes the size and design restrictions from all ships (drones). I believe we'll still get a huge and diverse selection of ships including most of the ship classes we had before, and then some. But now, that a cockpit/life-support/etc is no longer necessary, ships can be as small or as elaborate in design as we want. Imagine controlling a tiny spy drone and flying inside a capital ship or station, or tailing somebody without them noticing, being camouflaged as an asteroid or a storage crate or whatever. Also, this can give birth to VR controlled missiles, spy modules, boarding pods, etc, the possibilities are endless. :)

Also, we'll get a fully modeled and animated flagship, which you can actually walk around in, use the many rooms and facilities it has, talk to all the NPCs, maybe customize it a little (kinda like the Normandy in Mass Effect). Plus, you'll get to upgrade your flagship with better engines, shields, weapons, gear and maybe specialize it to your own liking (like Darkstar One). If that isn't totally awesome, I don't know what is.

And you can still remote control and give detailed orders to all your drones via the AI menu and all your other NPC-controlled ships via the "going there are telling them to their face" method. :)

Also, EVA suits are overrated. Most people only used the EVA because of the repair laser. I bet if that wasn't the only way to repair ships for free, most player would've never even noticed that feature :D

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 12:52

The you cant switch ships is a role thing I think, as mentioned by Bernd controlling drones will be as if controlling other ships, just that you return to the main ship when finished or command them remotely, just as when you piloted your favourite M2 and used transporter device back and forth.

So I don't think we will miss the miriad of ships we found in previous games, this time there will be drones.

I really believe this will make the game for focused on specialized ships/drones instead of a miriad of ships that are all too similar.

Just my opinion/speculation, anxious to get the new game on my hands (or steam)

Bill Bones
x3

Post by Bill Bones » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 14:12

Maybe I am not getting it straight, but what I get is this:

- no abbility to fly whatever ships you buy/capture 'cause you're only gonna own one ship
- no abbility to manually fly w/joystick or vector thrusters
- fly via mouse inputs and let the NPCs do everything else
- fly only one ship which you can customize to be outrageously overpowered, yadda yadda
- fly drones, which are not ships, for some special tasks
- be aboard Capitals as NPCs fly them (seriously?)

Which sounds like: fly like EVE Online, but with only ONE bloody ship and some NPC shiny.

I liked X3 because of the abbility to fly whatever ships I got. I could get into a Xenon fighter (K class?) and dogfight like hell hunting Xenons in their sectors. I could get that Split Battleship, whatever its name, and dock it manually. I could take a carrier and align it with a gate and jump perfeclty straight in the middle with careful thruster and joystick. I almost filled a station with my owned ships. And I have been missing that a lot since I've been hooked to EVE Online for the last three years.

Now it turns that X-Rebirth ship control it's going to be the same as EVE Online, just with some NPC shiny and only one ship, which is exactly why I never gave a damn of the first X game, for a start.

So sad they chose that path, and I hope most players will be unlike me and will stick with Egosoft despite such blunder. As far as I go, this silly thing with ships has almost killed my interest in X-Rebirth. :(

We'll meet in New Eden if you ever grow tired of flying the same old piece of junk over and over around the X universe...

[ external image ]

(That's me in a station with the latest adittion to my fleet, a ship worth the same as five months of subscription and twice what X3 costed me...)
Last edited by Bill Bones on Sun, 2. Oct 11, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 14:16

If egosoft misses the chance to create:

Link Probe

That allows you to attach to the exterior of a ship to manually control it...

...It will be a great loss for this game.

It will keep the paradigm they want, and at the same time it will give players the chance of "sitting" on anything they can attach the probe to. It will also remove the needs of having to create detailed interiors for each ship and truly 3D cockpits for the miriad of ships around (assuming things here on ship variety)...

...That way every1 wins.

You can also expand your ship upgrade inventory with things as:

- Link Probe Dock (Allowing to create Permanent Links the player can access to)
- Link Jammers (to prevent hostile probes to establish the control link)
- Grade Probes with different type of ship control capabilities.
- Pirate Probes that can temporarily give control of hostile ships WITHOUT a permanent Dock.
- Anti Probe Defense System. An option for Turrets to give target prio to incoming Probes.

I see the needs of restricting the player ship (Basically the link between AI orders and the "room" were the different NPCs are) but I also see the tremendous waste of not extending the drone control functionality to allow players to pilot "remotely" other ships.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 14:34

That could get quite annoying when pirates "temporarilily" take control of your ship and ram it into the nearest station.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Bill Bones
x3

Post by Bill Bones » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 14:41

Gazz wrote:That could get quite annoying when pirates "temporarilily" take control of your ship and ram it into the nearest station.
I had a flashback of BC 3000 and those pesky marines teleporting into your ship to steal a shuttle... :twisted:

bill2505

Post by bill2505 » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 14:51

Playbahnosh wrote:Chillax people! Don't be hasty in drawing conclusions from a few snippets of information. Go read the sticky where they explain the new playership/drone concept.

As I see it, nothing will be taken away from the look&feel of the old control scheme. In vanilla X3 and TC there were no cockpits or bridges, only a HUD, and it was the same for all ships from tiny scouts to capital ships. Just like if you had been controlling them from the same VR system all along. At least I always roleplayed it that way (when I got access to bigger ships in my games, I always named one of them my "flagship" and roleplayed that when I switch ships I only VR control those other ships while staying safe and sound aboard my flagship.)

It looks like the Egosoft guys read my mind :)

Aside from having a canon explanation why there are no cockpits for all the hundreds of types of ships, this brings many improvements. For one thing, you won't "die" when your drone explodes. If you have the cash, you can now go on literal suicide runs with your drones. :)

Second, this removes the size and design restrictions from all ships (drones). I believe we'll still get a huge and diverse selection of ships including most of the ship classes we had before, and then some. But now, that a cockpit/life-support/etc is no longer necessary, ships can be as small or as elaborate in design as we want. Imagine controlling a tiny spy drone and flying inside a capital ship or station, or tailing somebody without them noticing, being camouflaged as an asteroid or a storage crate or whatever. Also, this can give birth to VR controlled missiles, spy modules, boarding pods, etc, the possibilities are endless. :)

Also, we'll get a fully modeled and animated flagship, which you can actually walk around in, use the many rooms and facilities it has, talk to all the NPCs, maybe customize it a little (kinda like the Normandy in Mass Effect). Plus, you'll get to upgrade your flagship with better engines, shields, weapons, gear and maybe specialize it to your own liking (like Darkstar One). If that isn't totally awesome, I don't know what is.

And you can still remote control and give detailed orders to all your drones via the AI menu and all your other NPC-controlled ships via the "going there are telling them to their face" method. :)

Also, EVA suits are overrated. Most people only used the EVA because of the repair laser. I bet if that wasn't the only way to repair ships for free, most player would've never even noticed that feature :D
sorry for not saring your enthusiasm but for me its not the same.its a pity that es chose to destroy the series with a retardet feature as this

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”