player bound to a single ship

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 12:09

But this game isn't part of the X series. It only just shares the X lore. Other than that spaceships and space stations seem to be the only other things this game will have in common with the originals. Hell, even the old Mx ship designation system is gone if my translation from the German forum is correct.

ES have been warning for months now not to consider the game X4, but something so entirely different none of our precious X experiences applies. It has also been made crystal clear that we will be able to own any amount of ships/stations we desire. We'll just be controlling them in a vastly different manner. Hopefully with far less menu diving and keyboard acrobatics.

It may be wise to treat it as it's own thing and not try to force it into being X4. Because it's not X4.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 13:00

Kor'ah wrote:But this game isn't part of the X series. It only just shares the X lore. Other than that spaceships and space stations seem to be the only other things this game will have in common with the originals. Hell, even the old Mx ship designation system is gone if my translation from the German forum is correct.

ES have been warning for months now not to consider the game X4, but something so entirely different none of our precious X experiences applies. It has also been made crystal clear that we will be able to own any amount of ships/stations we desire. We'll just be controlling them in a vastly different manner. Hopefully with far less menu diving and keyboard acrobatics.

It may be wise to treat it as it's own thing and not try to force it into being X4. Because it's not X4.
Hmm, where I heard that. Oh, wait, get it. Dragon Age 2 was not a continuation of Origins, it just used the same lore. And we all know where it lead...

As for the one ship, it is the most unfortunate idea anyone could have. And to contol ships remotely? Where is the fun in that? Where is the excitement? Where is the fear when your shields go down? It is gone. The drone just goes booom and nothing else happens. It takes away one of the most important things every space sim has.

And the most important thing is what are we supposed to do after we finish the plot? Shut the game off and uninstall? What will be the reason to play, when you still have only one ship???
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Xydonus
x3ap

Post by Xydonus » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 14:26

plynak wrote: As for the one ship, it is the most unfortunate idea anyone could have. And to contol ships remotely? Where is the fun in that? Where is the excitement? Where is the fear when your shields go down? It is gone. The drone just goes booom and nothing else happens. It takes away one of the most important things every space sim has.

And the most important thing is what are we supposed to do after we finish the plot? Shut the game off and uninstall? What will be the reason to play, when you still have only one ship???
So many different interpretations.

From what I understand, and going from this quote, 'One of the big changes in X Rebirth when compared to the old X games is that you as a player will only be flying a single ship. But before you get upset and complain about the lack of freedom to steer other ships, WAIT... that's still possible. It's just packaged in a different way.'

Judging by that, flying other ships is still possible, but you will be doing it from your so-called command ship.

And what Plynak says is very true. There is no fear, no fear of death or no fear of real loss while you remote control a ship. There is nothing wrong with that ability, but to force the player to be bound to this one ship seems rather risky to perform for a developer who wants to make a true and true space sim.

Course, the tedious loading and death screens will be gone. I can understand where Egosoft is coming from though, and personally I don't mind so much.

Considering the amount of effort going into the player ship, to be able to hop from one ship into another will degrade the experience you get from being on your own ship and moving about.

The way I see it, Egosoft has implemented a method for upgrading your own personal ship. This ship is yours, and its suppose to feel special, unique and highly moddable. So if Egosoft implemented the ability to hop about on another ship in physical form, that special system they put in would go to waste. Some players might even consider selling it! So here's this special ship, with all the internal mechanics to go with it, all the hard work done on it, ending up in the shipyard for sale... Or destroyed even.

At least thats why I think Egosoft have taken the remote-controlled approach. It's risky and it certainly lets one side down, but if its done well and implemented, and the ship can be upgraded outside the 'plot', then I'll be happy...

And I wouldn't worry so much considering that in due time after release, and the modding becomes available, there is bound to be a mod that will give you the ability to jump from one ship to another in physical form.

Bill Bones
x3

Post by Bill Bones » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:11

Funjifore wrote:
ZX9000 wrote:
Bill Bones wrote: Well, let's say that all you got is a cruiser class ship and the finals boss is a Battleship class. In EVE, you are dead meat in a matter of seconds, but here you are the Hero so your ship must be able to take on that enemy.
Really? A cruiser can't beat a battleship boss? (and not only a cruiser, but a modular cruiser, which sounds like a strategic cruiser to me).

I'd be careful about accepting EVE-references from Bill Bones, folks :P

On topic: what with drones to get your dogfight jollies, I don't think it's a crisis not being able to manually steer capital ships. Physics realism aside (because I'm not qualified), capital ships have crews doing all the stuff that needs doing. The captain sits in his chair saying "engage". Might as well say it in the chair of his comfy flagship.
I can verify that what Bill Bones said is NOT true. I've played Eve since 03. It's actually possible to kill battleships with t2 frigates :wink:
Preaching to the choir? I *too* have killed NPC BS with a T2 frigate. And go figure what I've done to lowsec rats with a Stealth Bomber. This doesn't means thay those ships aren't overpowered, or the NPCs are undertanked, or both things.

The point stands, eiher the Albion will never face capital ships, or will be ludicrously overpowered by being able to take on them.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:25

Assuming a modicum of success Rebirth heralds in another decade of glorious adventure. Maybe the Enterprise will eventually grow a joystick out of the deck, but until then:

[ external image ]

:lol:

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:45

Bill Bones wrote:The point stands, eiher the Albion will never face capital ships, or will be ludicrously overpowered by being able to take on them.
There is a third option - Albion is able to take them on but only after a series of stealthy drone attacks to sabotage engines, shields, weapons, etc.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:47

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Bill Bones wrote:The point stands, eiher the Albion will never face capital ships, or will be ludicrously overpowered by being able to take on them.
There is a third option - Albion is able to take them on but only after a series of stealthy drone attacks to sabotage engines, shields, weapons, etc.
Which brings question, why would someone build such a vulnerable capital ship instead of tons of stealth drones.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:50

Obviously because the stealth drone (or a sufficient quantity of them) cost more than a capital ship.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:54

Gazz wrote:Obviously because the stealth drone (or a sufficient quantity of them) cost more than a capital ship.
Hmm, that must be some new economy then :gruebel:

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:55

plynak wrote:
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Which brings question, why would someone build such a vulnerable capital ship instead of tons of stealth drones.
Perhaps because drones won't be able to carry the sort of heavy weapons required to demolish space stations or possibly for orbital bombardment of planetary surfaces. Seems likely to me that such weapons would be big & require a significant power source, hence need to be mounted on a big ship.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:59

GCU Grey Area wrote:
plynak wrote:
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Perhaps because drones won't be able to carry the sort of heavy weapons required to demolish space stations or possibly for orbital bombardment of planetary surfaces. Seems likely to me that such weapons would be big & require a significant power source, hence need to be mounted on a big ship.
No? If those drones would disable a capital ship, what would stop them to disable a station? And why would drones be unable to bombard a planet? A nuclear bomb is relatively small you know?

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:01

plynak wrote: And the most important thing is what are we supposed to do after we finish the plot? Shut the game off and uninstall? What will be the reason to play, when you still have only one ship???
Very interesting point indeed! Also, if you decide to "go pirate" after the plot (or before) what if you crew don't agree with you? Wonder how much influence they really have or if they just do their assigned tasks, i.e. not independant thought other than that...

Egosoft: Need. More. Information. Please :)

Scoob.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:04

In TC you could board a Paranid military ship using Paranid marines bought and trained at a Paranid military base and your forces would go about it without any objections.

That said, I am more interested to see how the reputation system will work in Rebirth (if it has a reputation system, that is), and exactly how involved the player will be with his ship's crew.
Last edited by A5PECT on Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:08

plynak wrote: And why would drones be unable to bombard a planet? A nuclear bomb is relatively small you know?
Nuclear bomb? Why when a piece of rock at 0.1 c will do just fine.
It's not like a city on a planet is an unpredictable target...
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:19

Gazz wrote:
plynak wrote: And why would drones be unable to bombard a planet? A nuclear bomb is relatively small you know?
Nuclear bomb? Why when a piece of rock at 0.1 c will do just fine.
It's not like a city on a planet is an unpredictable target...
Does however help if you have some sort of giant rail gun to accelerate the rock (and a sufficiently big ship to mount it on), rather than simply waiting for a fast moving rock to turn up. Anyway this is science fiction. Where would it be without gigantic planet killing laser death rays? (complete, of course, with the obligatory tiny thermal exhaust port).

Ulfarus
x2

Post by Ulfarus » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:47

I have just re-read the sticky to see if we are all panicking over nothing.

Sorry to say we aren't. Caption Ulfar will not be seen dead in the Pride of Albion or whatever you want to call it. I am assuming it is the ship which is in the demo and it looks rubbish.

Drones you can keep them sorry, I want to know that if my ship blows up it is game over.

Terran conflict is it for me, I am currently downloading every mod I can get my hands on.

Once I tire of those I hope we will have some other alternative or a MOD that will make this game a worthwhile purchase.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:57

plynak wrote: And the most important thing is what are we supposed to do after we finish the plot? Shut the game off and uninstall? What will be the reason to play, when you still have only one ship???
I thought there is to be few (if any at all) restrictions on ship ownership. It's just how the player will interact with those other ships that will be different. Gone is WASDing your way to victory, in is giving orders crew on the command deck. While landed on these ships, and personally commanding them, I'm sure there will be so much to do during a battle you won't miss being at the helm.

Going by the stickies we'll be able to design and build our own highly customized ships at shipyards we can build. Hopefully the customization part will be more sophisticated then it was in the prior games.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

IronDuke
x3tc

Post by IronDuke » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 17:08

Hi all,

Ok to be honest I've not posted on this forums or even read it for nearly over a year now and that includes playing the game.

But correct me if im wrong the reason i played x3, x3tc and the previous game was for one thing and a few other things but never for the dog fighting part of the game. To me the game was a space simulator that had story, a dynamic (im using the term loosely here since for the last two games i seemed like the pc had to mod and/or build the economy just to get it moving) and most of all freedom to do what the hell i wanted.

To me combat at all levels felt the same, yes some of the ships were faster some bigger and mostly boiled down to who had the bigger gun and shield strength. At least to me :-P

While i'd admit that most people played this game for just exactly that. how did you feel when you made your first million from your first ore mine or wheat farm and used that to build your business empire? Im not saying that the one ship bound is totally good and all that but even when you had a 120 ship squadron didn't it feel lonely? I would like to think that every ship had a pilot that mattered not someone that i would shove a side if i wanted to pilot the dang thing.

I know that change sometimes is bad but in the spirit of what the x series is all about explore the game and learn something new.

Im most likely going to be flamed for the dog fighting thing so im gonna run now ;-)

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 17:10

plynak wrote:
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Presumably the same reason the various races don't just build a giant missile complex in less than a week and then use a single M7M to fill entire sectors with enough ordnance to sterilise a planet. You know, like the player character does.

Because plot.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 17:14

IronDuke wrote:While i'd admit that most people played this game for just exactly that. how did you feel when you made your first million from your first ore mine or wheat farm and used that to build your business empire? Im not saying that the one ship bound is totally good and all that but even when you had a 120 ship squadron didn't it feel lonely? I would like to think that every ship had a pilot that mattered not someone that i would shove a side if i wanted to pilot the dang thing.
To be honest I never cared at all for factories or any of that building and trading. If I needed resources for anything I scanned down TS's and took their cargo. For me this game was pure combat and piracy, with a touch of trading if absolutely necessary.

I never used ships that I had put pilots in for the same reason you stated. If the ship had a pilot I either transferred him to a different ship if I needed it, or I flew another ship. ;)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”