player bound to a single ship

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ulfarus
x2

Post by Ulfarus » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:47

I have just re-read the sticky to see if we are all panicking over nothing.

Sorry to say we aren't. Caption Ulfar will not be seen dead in the Pride of Albion or whatever you want to call it. I am assuming it is the ship which is in the demo and it looks rubbish.

Drones you can keep them sorry, I want to know that if my ship blows up it is game over.

Terran conflict is it for me, I am currently downloading every mod I can get my hands on.

Once I tire of those I hope we will have some other alternative or a MOD that will make this game a worthwhile purchase.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:57

plynak wrote: And the most important thing is what are we supposed to do after we finish the plot? Shut the game off and uninstall? What will be the reason to play, when you still have only one ship???
I thought there is to be few (if any at all) restrictions on ship ownership. It's just how the player will interact with those other ships that will be different. Gone is WASDing your way to victory, in is giving orders crew on the command deck. While landed on these ships, and personally commanding them, I'm sure there will be so much to do during a battle you won't miss being at the helm.

Going by the stickies we'll be able to design and build our own highly customized ships at shipyards we can build. Hopefully the customization part will be more sophisticated then it was in the prior games.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

IronDuke
x3tc

Post by IronDuke » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 17:08

Hi all,

Ok to be honest I've not posted on this forums or even read it for nearly over a year now and that includes playing the game.

But correct me if im wrong the reason i played x3, x3tc and the previous game was for one thing and a few other things but never for the dog fighting part of the game. To me the game was a space simulator that had story, a dynamic (im using the term loosely here since for the last two games i seemed like the pc had to mod and/or build the economy just to get it moving) and most of all freedom to do what the hell i wanted.

To me combat at all levels felt the same, yes some of the ships were faster some bigger and mostly boiled down to who had the bigger gun and shield strength. At least to me :-P

While i'd admit that most people played this game for just exactly that. how did you feel when you made your first million from your first ore mine or wheat farm and used that to build your business empire? Im not saying that the one ship bound is totally good and all that but even when you had a 120 ship squadron didn't it feel lonely? I would like to think that every ship had a pilot that mattered not someone that i would shove a side if i wanted to pilot the dang thing.

I know that change sometimes is bad but in the spirit of what the x series is all about explore the game and learn something new.

Im most likely going to be flamed for the dog fighting thing so im gonna run now ;-)

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 17:10

plynak wrote:
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Bill Bones wrote:The point stands, eiher the Albion will never face capital ships, or will be ludicrously overpowered by being able to take on them.
There is a third option - Albion is able to take them on but only after a series of stealthy drone attacks to sabotage engines, shields, weapons, etc.
Which brings question, why would someone build such a vulnerable capital ship instead of tons of stealth drones.
Presumably the same reason the various races don't just build a giant missile complex in less than a week and then use a single M7M to fill entire sectors with enough ordnance to sterilise a planet. You know, like the player character does.

Because plot.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 17:14

IronDuke wrote:While i'd admit that most people played this game for just exactly that. how did you feel when you made your first million from your first ore mine or wheat farm and used that to build your business empire? Im not saying that the one ship bound is totally good and all that but even when you had a 120 ship squadron didn't it feel lonely? I would like to think that every ship had a pilot that mattered not someone that i would shove a side if i wanted to pilot the dang thing.
To be honest I never cared at all for factories or any of that building and trading. If I needed resources for anything I scanned down TS's and took their cargo. For me this game was pure combat and piracy, with a touch of trading if absolutely necessary.

I never used ships that I had put pilots in for the same reason you stated. If the ship had a pilot I either transferred him to a different ship if I needed it, or I flew another ship. ;)

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 08:17

IronDuke wrote:Hi all,

Ok to be honest I've not posted on this forums or even read it for nearly over a year now and that includes playing the game.

But correct me if im wrong the reason i played x3, x3tc and the previous game was for one thing and a few other things but never for the dog fighting part of the game. To me the game was a space simulator that had story, a dynamic (im using the term loosely here since for the last two games i seemed like the pc had to mod and/or build the economy just to get it moving) and most of all freedom to do what the hell i wanted.

To me combat at all levels felt the same, yes some of the ships were faster some bigger and mostly boiled down to who had the bigger gun and shield strength. At least to me :-P

While i'd admit that most people played this game for just exactly that. how did you feel when you made your first million from your first ore mine or wheat farm and used that to build your business empire? Im not saying that the one ship bound is totally good and all that but even when you had a 120 ship squadron didn't it feel lonely? I would like to think that every ship had a pilot that mattered not someone that i would shove a side if i wanted to pilot the dang thing.

I know that change sometimes is bad but in the spirit of what the x series is all about explore the game and learn something new.

Im most likely going to be flamed for the dog fighting thing so im gonna run now ;-)
No you are not going to be flamed :-) The most excellent thing in X series is that you can choose. You can spend the whole game in a freighter building your empire and when you get tired, you buy yourself a battleship and go kill everything that moves. Your choice. You can even buy a TL and go building your factories yourself. Now in Rebirth we are denied this choice completely :(

I for example am in the middle. I always buy a few complexes and start as many UTs as I can and then buy and equip a fleet of patrol ships and personal ships.

And about feeling lonely, no I have not felt lonely in a universe full of other ships and stations :-)
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Koshea
x4

Post by Koshea » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 09:04

From what I read, as best as I can believe I'll get out of this game is going to be some kind of a cross between homeworld when I'm out controlling fleets and x-wing vs tie fighter when I'm controlling drones. Throw in what looks to be the best part of the game the new space stations with customizable modules and it's still gonna be worth playing, just not the x universe I'm use to.

Skid
x4

Post by Skid » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 11:32

Personally I always just ended up flying the middle size ship and not changing to other ones. If anything this change is more likely to make me take direct controls of other ships then the old system.

That said this IS a new game, they've said it time and again, and as such you should not judge it based on the old games. You should play it as it is, a new game, and then decide if you like or hate it.
:) Skid :)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 12:28

Skid wrote: Personally I always just ended up flying the middle size ship and not changing to other ones. If anything this change is more likely to make me take direct controls of other ships then the old system.

That said this IS a new game, they've said it time and again, and as such you should not judge it based on the old games. You should play it as it is, a new game, and then decide if you like or hate it.
Good for you. I ended up flying an M2 (or an M0 in Xtended MODs) as M6s are useless since Reunion and M7s are too weak.

Yes, we were told the same with Dragon Age 2. If they wanted a new game, why did they not made a new universe? To be honest to name a game X and then to tell us it has nothing to do with previous ones is, well, really not wise.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Syock

Post by Syock » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:31

plynak wrote:Yes, we were told the same with Dragon Age 2. If they wanted a new game, why did they not made a new universe? To be honest to name a game X and then to tell us it has nothing to do with previous ones is, well, really not wise.
+1

Even if it was a new IP, we would all end up comparing it to the X series anyway since it is still a 4X space game. We can decide if we like it or not independently, but we would still be looking to improve the game.
Will work for food to develop in-game economy.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:41

plynak wrote:If they wanted a new game, why did they not made a new universe? To be honest to name a game X and then to tell us it has nothing to do with previous ones is, well, really not wise.
To be honest, that was the first hint to my mind that things wouldn't be as nice as we might have expected. My thoughts are that they just couldn't get done everything they wanted to get done for a new IP, so they "fell back" on the existing title, which gives them some scope to bring across previous stuff to fill the gaps. It's always had me a little worried right from the moment I heard it.

From what I've read in the information stickies, I've seen a glimpse of the vision for the new title, and what I've seen I think I can like, but the implementation still remains to be seen...
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Sanjor
x4

Post by Sanjor » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 15:39

plynak wrote:Yes, we were told the same with Dragon Age 2. If they wanted a new game, why did they not made a new universe? To be honest to name a game X and then to tell us it has nothing to do with previous ones is, well, really not wise.
X Rebirth has a lot more sucking to do before it's reasonable to compare it to DA2. DA2 has a bad engine, bad art direction, bad character design, bad writers (trying to dig up the quote where one dismissed games as a medium), bad combat, and bad quest design. Those problems are not related to it not being a direct sequel (And it wasn't, DA2 starts not long after DAO's PC leaves Lothering before both go their very separate ways); they are products of Bioware having it's A and B teams on ME3 and TOR while DA gets the leftovers.

XR is somewhere between spiritual successor and sequel, bringing a venerable series from an aging engine to one that adds interesting and useful features, at the (hopefully temporary) sacrifice of a few of which players are fond.
DA2 is a Frankenstein's monster of a game, trying to forge a sequel to a slow-paced RPG with exceptional quest design and forgettable combat by making some ME2/hack'n'slash/DA thing that was short on development time and shorter on talent.

It's the third or fourth time I've read this comparison on these forums, it finally got to me. :oops:

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:12

Sanjor wrote:
X Rebirth has a lot more sucking to do before it's reasonable to compare it to DA2. DA2 has a bad engine, bad art direction, bad character design, bad writers (trying to dig up the quote where one dismissed games as a medium), bad combat, and bad quest design. Those problems are not related to it not being a direct sequel (And it wasn't, DA2 starts not long after DAO's PC leaves Lothering before both go their very separate ways); they are products of Bioware having it's A and B teams on ME3 and TOR while DA gets the leftovers.

XR is somewhere between spiritual successor and sequel, bringing a venerable series from an aging engine to one that adds interesting and useful features, at the (hopefully temporary) sacrifice of a few of which players are fond.
DA2 is a Frankenstein's monster of a game, trying to forge a sequel to a slow-paced RPG with exceptional quest design and forgettable combat by making some ME2/hack'n'slash/DA thing that was short on development time and shorter on talent.

It's the third or fourth time I've read this comparison on these forums, it finally got to me. :oops:
Yes, but promotion for DA2 sounded excactly as the promotion to Rebirth. That is why we compare it. And to be honest, the information that I can see how full my factory is just by looking at it instead of explaining the new game mechanics sounds just like that.

The same goes for having one ship. Has there been some voting I missed? Were we asked somewhere? No. They took a concept, that was tried already (Darkstar One), that proved to be incredibely boring (as everytime I saw a cruiser I asked myself Why the hell can I not fly this ship!) and used it without even asking the community's opinion. Exactly as Bioware did with DA2. That is why we compare.

And what does everyone has with engine? There has not been a better looking space simulator since Reunion. And by new engine, I would expect one having DX10/11 and multicore support. Yet, this one has nothing like this. So what exactly will be new?
Last edited by plynak on Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:15

You know ... the more I look at the pictures, the more I have a feeling that this carrier is actually what the player's ship will eventually be upgraded to. There are a lot of familiarity that I think it's a bigger frame built on the same ship.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:18

Mightysword wrote:You know ... the more I look at the pictures, the more I have a feeling that this carrier is actually what the player's ship will eventually be upgraded to. There are a lot of familiarity that I think it's a bigger frame built on the same ship.
How would they change an M6 to an M1? And why not let us to buy and fly an M1 instead? And how would they change the interior to reflect this? Or will an M1 have the same interior as an M6?

Skid
x4

Post by Skid » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:37

plynak wrote:And what does everyone has with engine? There has not been a better looking space simulator since Reunion. And by new engine, I would expect one having DX10/11 and multicore support. Yet, this one has nothing like this. So what exactly will be new?
From the offical sticky:
CPU performance

One of the biggest steps in developing an entire new engine was to design a true multithread-capable engine. X Rebirth will make full use of latest generation CPUs by spreading the work in many parallel running threads.
What engine and API do we use?

X Rebirth will run on DX9 API as long as all the features that we need from the API are possible with it. That does not mean we may not at some point also support DX11, but for now we do not see a need. Our engine is quite different from all the big established names, because it is designed specifically for a space game. We had a look at engines like Unreal or the CryEngine, but because we wanted to have cutting edge space graphics, an area very different from what these engines are specialized in, we had to develop our own engine.
The later reads as, we can do everything graphically we want to be able to do in DX9 and DX10 or 11 would not add much.

The changes to the engine are probably more to allow them to break away from the fixed format all the other games had. Its also worth remembering that the Engine is responsible for processing every command within the game, not just the graphics.
Last edited by Skid on Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
:) Skid :)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:39

plynak wrote:
Mightysword wrote:You know ... the more I look at the pictures, the more I have a feeling that this carrier is actually what the player's ship will eventually be upgraded to. There are a lot of familiarity that I think it's a bigger frame built on the same ship.
How would they change an M6 to an M1? And why not let us to buy and fly an M1 instead? And how would they change the interior to reflect this? Or will an M1 have the same interior as an M6?
Hey don't ask me, even if it's true I don't know. It's just observation go by the apperance of the ship, not a suggestion or assumption.

I'm innocent!!

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:42

DA2 sucked on it's own merits. Likewise XB will also succeed, or fail for that matter, on it's own merits. I highly doubt the player-ship concept will be deciding factor. The AI and UI are the keys, with particular importance on the UI. On another forum I can pull up a number of quotes citing the UI as being X3's greatest flaw.

[Wild speculation time]

The player ship IS the game's UI in X Rebirth.

[/Wild speculation time]
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Koshea
x4

Post by Koshea » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 21:14

Kor'ah wrote:[Wild speculation time]

The player ship IS the game's UI in X Rebirth.

[/Wild speculation time]
If that's true, how do you get off your ship and onto stations (where you can spend days) or walk around on a cap ships deck?

Maybe it is true, but how would these parts fit in?

Arragoth
x3ap

Post by Arragoth » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 22:55

I dont mind having only once ship available, when its done properly.
And what i understood was, your ship is a drone carrier in wich you can control the drones by VR like a normal ship, wich seems somehow more logical to me as a pilot in a cockpit in a future advanced technological era..
Hence we on earth nowerdays start using VR remote controlled airplanes more and more, so it seems more logical too have fully VR controlled squadrons controlled from a mothership out of harms way too be more "real"

Dont get me wrong, i am the FighterPilot type of guy, i never liked Big slow ships in X3, and i loved fast Scorpions and Mamba's (yes i am a split lover) and loathed trading (well i love blowing up tradeships though) so at first glance i started protesting innerly as well, but when i thought about it longer, i started too like the idear more and more, but it has to be done right.

In a way it stays the same for me, in X3TC i fly in a panther, park it in a sector step into my fighter and undock and engage in a tigh quarters dogfight, hoping i dont get splashed against a windscreen of a cap or fly into the barriage flak fire of caps and then suddenly remember i havent saved the game for 3 hours or more :P
If i look at it that way, i hardly can even mind that we are bound too one ship, in a way i bound myself also into a few favorite ships for myself, and used a Cap as staging base for my endevours..

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”