player bound to a single ship

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skid
x4

Post by Skid » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:37

plynak wrote:And what does everyone has with engine? There has not been a better looking space simulator since Reunion. And by new engine, I would expect one having DX10/11 and multicore support. Yet, this one has nothing like this. So what exactly will be new?
From the offical sticky:
CPU performance

One of the biggest steps in developing an entire new engine was to design a true multithread-capable engine. X Rebirth will make full use of latest generation CPUs by spreading the work in many parallel running threads.
What engine and API do we use?

X Rebirth will run on DX9 API as long as all the features that we need from the API are possible with it. That does not mean we may not at some point also support DX11, but for now we do not see a need. Our engine is quite different from all the big established names, because it is designed specifically for a space game. We had a look at engines like Unreal or the CryEngine, but because we wanted to have cutting edge space graphics, an area very different from what these engines are specialized in, we had to develop our own engine.
The later reads as, we can do everything graphically we want to be able to do in DX9 and DX10 or 11 would not add much.

The changes to the engine are probably more to allow them to break away from the fixed format all the other games had. Its also worth remembering that the Engine is responsible for processing every command within the game, not just the graphics.
Last edited by Skid on Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
:) Skid :)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:39

plynak wrote:
Mightysword wrote:You know ... the more I look at the pictures, the more I have a feeling that this carrier is actually what the player's ship will eventually be upgraded to. There are a lot of familiarity that I think it's a bigger frame built on the same ship.
How would they change an M6 to an M1? And why not let us to buy and fly an M1 instead? And how would they change the interior to reflect this? Or will an M1 have the same interior as an M6?
Hey don't ask me, even if it's true I don't know. It's just observation go by the apperance of the ship, not a suggestion or assumption.

I'm innocent!!

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:42

DA2 sucked on it's own merits. Likewise XB will also succeed, or fail for that matter, on it's own merits. I highly doubt the player-ship concept will be deciding factor. The AI and UI are the keys, with particular importance on the UI. On another forum I can pull up a number of quotes citing the UI as being X3's greatest flaw.

[Wild speculation time]

The player ship IS the game's UI in X Rebirth.

[/Wild speculation time]
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Koshea
x4

Post by Koshea » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 21:14

Kor'ah wrote:[Wild speculation time]

The player ship IS the game's UI in X Rebirth.

[/Wild speculation time]
If that's true, how do you get off your ship and onto stations (where you can spend days) or walk around on a cap ships deck?

Maybe it is true, but how would these parts fit in?

Arragoth
x3ap

Post by Arragoth » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 22:55

I dont mind having only once ship available, when its done properly.
And what i understood was, your ship is a drone carrier in wich you can control the drones by VR like a normal ship, wich seems somehow more logical to me as a pilot in a cockpit in a future advanced technological era..
Hence we on earth nowerdays start using VR remote controlled airplanes more and more, so it seems more logical too have fully VR controlled squadrons controlled from a mothership out of harms way too be more "real"

Dont get me wrong, i am the FighterPilot type of guy, i never liked Big slow ships in X3, and i loved fast Scorpions and Mamba's (yes i am a split lover) and loathed trading (well i love blowing up tradeships though) so at first glance i started protesting innerly as well, but when i thought about it longer, i started too like the idear more and more, but it has to be done right.

In a way it stays the same for me, in X3TC i fly in a panther, park it in a sector step into my fighter and undock and engage in a tigh quarters dogfight, hoping i dont get splashed against a windscreen of a cap or fly into the barriage flak fire of caps and then suddenly remember i havent saved the game for 3 hours or more :P
If i look at it that way, i hardly can even mind that we are bound too one ship, in a way i bound myself also into a few favorite ships for myself, and used a Cap as staging base for my endevours..

TitusAmericanus

Post by TitusAmericanus » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 19:18

Seems to me that they have headed for a consol game. Ill bet you could beat the game with with plot rewards only, no need to spend money. Why bother you start with the best ship in the stars.

Bill67
x4

Post by Bill67 » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 20:40

Mightysword wrote:
plynak wrote:
Mightysword wrote:You know ... the more I look at the pictures, the more I have a feeling that this carrier is actually what the player's ship will eventually be upgraded to. There are a lot of familiarity that I think it's a bigger frame built on the same ship.
How would they change an M6 to an M1? And why not let us to buy and fly an M1 instead? And how would they change the interior to reflect this? Or will an M1 have the same interior as an M6?
Hey don't ask me, even if it's true I don't know. It's just observation go by the apperance of the ship, not a suggestion or assumption.

I'm innocent!!

You could be right but I have money down that that picture is what the "deck" is on capitol ships that our player ship lands at and can possible move around in. In that last little interview post he did, he already hinted that our ship wont be an ubership and thats what owning capships will be for so I think our ship will have limits.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 20:53

In a recent interview Bernd said that the player ship wouldn't be upgraded into a "super-ship" like in XBTF, and that when fully upgraded it would still be less powerful than an actual capital ship.

So I don't think it's going to be jumping any enormous classification barriers during the game.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

NEKO77025

Post by NEKO77025 » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 21:14

TitusAmericanus wrote:Seems to me that they have headed for a consol game. Ill bet you could beat the game with with plot rewards only, no need to spend money. Why bother you start with the best ship in the stars.

I think you nailed it .. they have given A few hints too this.

1) Dx9
2) "quickly-accessible compass menu"

sounds alot like Consol stuff too me.

But anyhow I have loved every X game .. and it really sounds like A mix between X & independence war 2: EoC

Hope it works ...

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”