Hyperion Capping

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Hyperion Capping

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 05:49

Im having a problem capping a hyperion tracked him down in priests refuge dropped his shields no problem and i have 40 marines all 5 star but no matter how often i try the boarding operation fails and my marines are all left floating in space I have drones suppressing his shields he does have internal sentry lasers, any advice would be appreciated

ponderu
x4

Post by ponderu » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 05:57

Are you attempting to board using TP or an M7M? If using a TP manually eject the marines while he is chasing your ship. Hopefully he will then run right into the marines. You may have to try a few times to get enough of them on hull at the same time to board it.

quoick
x3tc

Post by quoick » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 06:07

What is the message you are receiving from your marines? If they are saying that the computer safeties have re-engaged and find an airlock then you are in for a long slog. If your guys have 100 in hacking you will have to reload and reload and reload until the one time that they manage to get through. I did this the other night to an Odin. I came back from an UFJD just in time to see my Odin explode before I could apologise. It took about another 30+ reloads until they were able to hack the computer successfully again.

If it is hull polarisation, sorry to say but you may as well just kiss that puppy goodbye. Get a freight scanner to tell you what protection they have installed so that you don't have to waste time.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 08:33

Im using a cobra with boarding pods and transferring additional marines from ts following me.
When you say reload at what oint before i start boarding or after

ponderu
x4

Post by ponderu » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 09:34

Are your marines getting on the hull or are the pods getting shot down by the ship?

VincentTH
x4

Re: Reply

Post by VincentTH » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 09:35

shaun bergin wrote:Im using a cobra with boarding pods and transferring additional marines from ts following me.
You reload before the marines get on board.

Also I would always scan the Hype first to see if there are any internal defense. There are usually 2 Hype on patrol in Paranid space, so scan them both, and if both have internal defense, just kill them so that a new pair would respawn.

In order to reduce rep loss, just launch a few flail to tick them off, and once they become red, just use the launch-and-jump trick and a barrage of 4. (Launch a barrage of 4 (Flail) then jump, and then change to another ship).

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 13:01

Change Ship, and jump the firer out. When they player leaves the sector, the missiles die. Thus the trick is to kick the firer out of the sector.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

quoick
x3tc

Re: Reply

Post by quoick » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 13:36

shaun bergin wrote:Im using a cobra with boarding pods and transferring additional marines from ts following me.
Save after you have launched, then again when they have ALL made it into start fighting, then again if they are all alive after about deck two or three then again when they are hacking the core. Make sure you save them to different slots in case one of the saves is moments before disaster. If the ship is won but there is little or no booty, save into a new slot and reload from the hacking the core. You get randomly generated loot from this stage. If you are boarding a Q, save on completion of every level with your marines all still alive.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 14:33

Few advises.

Scan target, if you find "nasty" anti boar equipment, fry it off with IonD.

Take only 6 marines in M7M (you can't load more in M6+ like hyperion anyway) and 5 boarding pods /NO OTHER MISSILES at all. Order missile barrage. All of your pods will fire but only two will actually carry marines /other four will be decoys : )

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 17:17

it sounds to me like your boarding pods are getting shot down (there are lots of turrets on a hyp, all set to missile defence and you will have a hard time).

One answer is to get in there and make them shoot at you, and many wasp missiles - that will reduce the number of turrets available to fire at your pods. You could try attacking it from a different angle (get in there and draw it away at a 90° angle from your M7M).

In my experience, some targets are set to shoot down pods no matter what, if I can't take them with a few reloads, I give up and find a different target.

quoick
x3tc

Post by quoick » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 23:22

Some more advice. After you have launched pods (and saved), make sure the shields are down to 0-1% then hit SETA. This will disable the missile defence of the target. If your M7M is so far away that the shields get back up to a dangerous level on SETA, reload and try to calculate the time to hit it just before the pods appear on your screen.

Of course, disable SETA once both of the pods have landed as the shields on the Hyp regenerate pretty fast and will fry them.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 23:32

quoick wrote: make sure the shields are down to 0-1% then hit SETA. This will disable the missile defence of the target.
This trick worked once but I think not anymore ; )

quoick
x3tc

Post by quoick » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 23:40

deca.death wrote:
quoick wrote: make sure the shields are down to 0-1% then hit SETA. This will disable the missile defence of the target.
Nope it still works. I use it constantly.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 23:46

For Hyperion, I would advise using wasps at fairly close range to suppress shields, preferably in another M6+. I have boarded Hyperion and Springblossom and found them both to be very proficient at taking down your pods even when under direct laser fire or when using flails (cant fire enough to distract turrets without blowing up ship). But when they have wasps coming in thick and fast at close range, preferably so they are 'shotgunning' the target, it seems to really occupy the turrets, and The pods have no trouble getting in.

EDIT - Also, six well trained marines should be more than enough.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 00:09

quoick wrote:
deca.death wrote:
Nope it still works. I use it constantly.
Like so much in X3, it's dependent on your processor speed. SETA forces the CPU to calculate stuff up to ten times faster, and when push comes to shove, processes the game deems "nonessential", such as ship turrets*, are dropped. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

* FYI: it affects your own ship, too, so you can't use that trick in an all-turrets starship.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 00:18

I' heard about that trick, I tried to use it once or twice. It didn't work. I have pretty fast rig though.

quoick
x3tc

Post by quoick » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 01:04

I have a water cooled quad core i7 (overclocked to 4.2ghz) with 6 gigs of ram. This works constantly. The trick is to hit SETA when the pods are still off screen.

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 14:50

You can avoid the problem of pods being shot down by turret fire, by doing a spacewalk boarding instead. ;-) :roll:

StJude
x3ap

Post by StJude » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 15:25

devilsad wrote:You can avoid the problem of pods being shot down by turret fire, by doing a spacewalk boarding instead. ;-) :roll:
Which also avoids the hull-cutting bonus you get from using boarding pods. Pros and cons.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Darkhymn
x4

Post by Darkhymn » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 21:07

StJude wrote:
devilsad wrote:You can avoid the problem of pods being shot down by turret fire, by doing a spacewalk boarding instead. ;-) :roll:
Which also avoids the hull-cutting bonus you get from using boarding pods. Pros and cons.
and also your marines will virtually never board as a cohesive group and will all be slaughtered or left to drift in space and hopefully not die.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”