84%
No
16%

Total votes: 58

sthakker
x3tc

No Pilots, No Ranks, No Fun

Post by sthakker » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 01:02

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I do see alot about drones and that we will be able to control drones, but what about fighters? Will they all be drone based? How about skill level? Do all drones have the same skill level.... I would was hoping that rebirth would allow my pilots to rank up and my captain would be a much better pilot than the LT. Also, we have emotion attached to the person in the ship vs. the ship itself.

Look at the current drones which get ejected from your freigthers when they are attacked in TC. You could care less...

I dont want the difference between my fighters and my enemies fighters to be cost.. Mine are much more epxensive therfore they are better and I win.

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 02:31

Don't jump to conclusions, I'm sure there will be pilots.
UAVs have been around since the 70s, as target drones and the like. more resent UAVs have been used in combat roles like ground attack and recon.
Yes the drone to pilot ratio is higher here in the real world, same with the comparison between X3TC and XR, but Drones will never fully replace pilots. You think Egosoft would release a game where you were the only person in the whole universe?

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 02:59

I am sure there WILL be pilots, albeit they will be comfortably ensconced in the player's ship or the control deck of a capital ship.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 03:14

I'm fairly sure they mentioned somewhere that different crew members have different levels of competence or something, so you can hire a really good manager and presumably he'll manage the station better somehow?

Although I kinda feel as though grinding experience for people is one of the things that meant I never used marines in TC, it's just tedious honestly.

Eskymak

Post by Eskymak » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 07:57

Pilot in every little ship is wasting with human resources, computer is much cheaper. You dont need recruit, train, pay and feed them. And you dont need life support system and cockpit and you can carry more energy, weapons and ammo or have better armor and shielding.

Yes, pilots are fun, but they are like tamagotchi! :D

strude
x4

Post by strude » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 08:07

Freya Nocturne wrote:Don't jump to conclusions, I'm sure there will be pilots.
Don't jump to conclusions? How can you be sure there will be pilots? Sounds like as big a jump as the OP to me...
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 08:32

Looks like there is going to be key NPC crew members on our larger ships we can interact with. So what's the problem again?

So far there doesn't even seem to be small maned fighter craft (M5, M4, M3) in the new game. All their roles are being replaced by drones with people riding in ships much larger, or stations, controlling these drones.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 08:34

Unnecessary and micromanagement hell.
Where is it?

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 19:47

Might as well learn to live with it, its all but been said this is the way it is, get used to it. I think I'll wait to see some reviews before rushing to buy this, but I might get it eventually just to add to my collection. :roll:

Canefox
x3tc

Post by Canefox » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 00:25

*writes in third vote* Doesn't matter either way for me.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 01:11

Kor'ah wrote:Looks like there is going to be key NPC crew members on our larger ships we can interact with. So what's the problem again?

So far there doesn't even seem to be small maned fighter craft (M5, M4, M3) in the new game. All their roles are being replaced by drones with people riding in ships much larger, or stations, controlling these drones.
Are you sure those arent fighter craft in the trailer?

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 02:27

joelR wrote:
Kor'ah wrote:Looks like there is going to be key NPC crew members on our larger ships we can interact with. So what's the problem again?

Are you sure those arent fighter craft in the trailer?
Fighter drones.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 11:21

Chris0132 wrote:
Although I kinda feel as though grinding experience for people is one of the things that meant I never used marines in TC, it's just tedious honestly.
Yes it is tedious, but it reflects the rewards that are to be gained. A group of fully trained marines is one of the most powerful tools you can acquire in TC...

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 11:54

heratik wrote:Yes it is tedious, but it reflects the rewards that are to be gained. A group of fully trained marines is one of the most powerful tools you can acquire in TC...
With ST's you can analyze a given sector and determine which ones will allow your traders to level up more quickly, and in the long run you can even set up your own stations to make those sectors even more efficient.

The only way to train marines is to invest massive amounts of into them, and no amount of thought or skill on the player's part can expedite the process.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 12:16

Well not sure how far it will be but im sure it was said that npcs will have different levels so if some npc manager isnt doing a good job you can sack him and get a better manager or something to that avail.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 12:33

KloHunt3r wrote: The only way to train marines is to invest massive amounts of into them, and no amount of thought or skill on the player's part can expedite the process.
With fight skill, the training is entirely in the players hands, and with the other skills, it just requires forward planning.

I started a new run through recently, and my first priority, even before buying any trade ships etc was to get at least 6 marines in basic training. I did this knowing they would be at least well on their way to being ready for basic ops by the time I had enough resources to start using them...

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:44

Well we known our ship has a crew, we know capital ships have at least a captain. We also know that Stations can have a station manager.

We know that there are lots of types of drones for different tasks, some of them may even be considered fairly significant assets - i.e. not just a simple fighter drone as we're accustomed to.

I do hope that manned fighters still exist. I'd love to have to buy/build a fighter (one would assume much better equiped and shielded than a basic drone at least) and have to invest in hiring a pilot...

I remember in one of the old Reunion scripts, Fight MkIII I think, you had a vested interest in your skilled pilots as they were MUCH better than having no pilot. Pilots would bail if their ship was destroyed and you could collect them and put them to work in a new ship. I LIKED this. I actually cared about my living assets!

So, I hope XR enables us to hire pilots for our smaller ships, both combat and trade types. I also hope to see Pilots on non-player ships, going about their business as usual. This adds (literally) life to the universe in my view. I always found it odd in TC that ALL of my ships were drones in effect...no pilots, no skill progression no desire to STAY LIVE! lol.

I have high hopes XR will be something awesome...but we will have to wait and see.

Scoob.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 16:08

KloHunt3r wrote: The only way to train marines is to invest massive amounts of into them, and no amount of thought or skill on the player's part can expedite the process.
not entierly true.

you dont actually have to train all your marines to their full stats.

if you plan on the targets you wish to take, the amount of marines your using, you can cut down on the training time considerably by just focus different marines on different tasks.

you only need full stats when going after certain ships, so if you want a specific ship, then you need to train accordingly, if you just want to board, then you can setup your marines quicker and find sutible targets to board

aeligos
x3tc

Post by aeligos » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:37

I just want a nice looking ship that can do a lot of upgrading.

The "pilot" is assumed to be present and being a space game, it is the ship that will receive most of my visual attention.

I do want images of other "pilots" presenting in my HUD, like the last X game when they initiate contact with me.

As far as ranking goes, I'm open to it either way.

-.-
The greatest trick the devil has ever done was not to convince the world that it does not exist,
but rather to convince the world that it is god.

Arragoth
x3ap

Post by Arragoth » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 23:09

Somehow i oppose too the idear of FighterPilots in space, since even in space a human body will severly temper the preformace of any craft (air of space) due G limits...

Also the loss of life of a pilot is bigger hit as loosing a droneship, so TBH i do see a future in VR controlled crafts, and its allready out that the F22 prolly will be the last manned fighter craft build, project this too the future i doubt we will see many fighterjocks in cockpits...

Having said that, i dont think pilots will be removed at all, only they are now detached from their crafts with remote control (Future VR) too place them back into the cockpit but without the risk of them actually beeing there.

And it doesnt matter if they are in the cockpit or located on a mothership, the job as fighterjock is still there, only they sit now warm and comfy far away with a cup of hot coco playing a very real "game"
At least thats how i envision future air (space) combat in reality, thus not so crazy if that is also implemented in Rebirth..

And still those VR jock recieve promotions/ranks/medals like in the "old days" when cockpit and craft where still attached too each other :P
In retrospect too this, there wont be much of a difference is there, cept the location of the cockpit :P

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”