[IDEA] Spy

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Nemesis_87
x3tc

[IDEA] Spy

Post by Nemesis_87 » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 16:57

Ok i am no modder but just thought of a completely random idea

It works similar to bording ships but instead of a whole pack of marines its just a single spy, He does not attempt to take the ship but merely stays aboard the ship and lets u see what it can see (through the universe map)

So lets say i jump into a system, spot an enemie cap ship fleet and beam this spy abaord then retreat out of the system. But i can still see whats happening within that sector due to my spy so i can plan an attack without being ambushed when entering through the jump gate (because my spy shows were exacly the fleet/ship is located)

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 01:04

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 01:14

i like the idea of it but it would surely need some sort of balance. perhaps also an agent skill chart.

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 01:18

The higher the skill level, the further the view range? Like level 1 gets 20km, 2 gets 40 and so on.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 01:23

more the higher the skill level the more likely chance to get the agent on board. i don't see how he can boost the ships radar range

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 01:37

Lord_Dakier wrote:more the higher the skill level the more likely chance to get the agent on board. i don't see how he can boost the ships radar range
Would be a neat idea but I think youre correct. I dont believe a script can change globals on the fly.

Calgor Grim
x4

Post by Calgor Grim » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 02:02

Perhaps not adjust the range, however do AI ships use Duplex and Triplex Scanners? Would it be possible to simply add/remove those and fake its viewing range? Say that at this level it has X rank and sneakily a Triplex Scanner is added.

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 04:08

Whose to say he upgrades the ship? Maybe he just hides a new scanner in the vents. the crew gets ****** readings on their stock equipment while you get the gold.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 10:21

I think you should see what the computer can see really, you imagine the classic spy. They don't sneak into the enemy base and their own cctv to find out information. They go into the cctv room already present and use the cctv there. Atleast the more realistic spires do that lol.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 11:46

There is no way to see the radar data of a ship not belonging to the player race.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:46

Jack08 wrote:There is no way to see the radar data of a ship not belonging to the player race.
YET!

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:51

Don't get too ambitious, as a first release I'd make it so the agent is just able to get onboard the ship depending on his skill level. Make the radar fixed at 50km or something.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:52

Freya Nocturne wrote:
Jack08 wrote:There is no way to see the radar data of a ship not belonging to the player race.
YET!
Yet?... its hardcoded, thers no script or mod capable of making this possbile (short of spawning a satelite on top of the enemy ship and then moving it with the ship but thats going to look like an extreamly dirty hack, plus the ship would always attempt to kill it)
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 15:01

Jack08 wrote:
Freya Nocturne wrote:
YET!
Yet?... its hardcoded, thers no script or mod capable of making this possbile (short of spawning a satelite on top of the enemy ship and then moving it with the ship but thats going to look like an extreamly dirty hack, plus the ship would always attempt to kill it)
Queue Debbie downer music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i ... re=related[/url]

Nemesis_87
x3tc

Post by Nemesis_87 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 15:06

Well didnt know if it was possible, but like i siad its just a random thought which might add to a bit more stratagy in the game :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 20:38

Recent thread

Therefore, what is the difference between a spy and a stealth non-colliding satellite that updates its position to match a target ship?

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 21:40

jlehtone wrote:Recent thread

Therefore, what is the difference between a spy and a stealth non-colliding satellite that updates its position to match a target ship?
Well it would work, but it would always show up on the sector map, stelth satilites only stop the AI from attacking them, you can still see and target the actual object.

So long as you can see the satelite on the sector map it would look quite hacky and odd to watch it bounce around :D

So long as you dont mind that side effect (plus you would also get ship killed notifications from the satelite when the script removes it) its a workable concept, you would also have to consider other scripts that do things with satelites (eg Early Warning Network)

I wish script could hide ships from the property menu (and the sector menu!) would have come in extreamly handy in the past for me
[ external image ]
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Osiris454
x3tc

Post by Osiris454 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 22:05

OK, so let's say that you get this spy on board and he shows you what the AI ship see's so you can plan your attack. So then what? How are you going to get the spy back? Is this a one-way -thank you for your sacrifice- trip? If he has to be trained or something like that, then you will be spending a lot of time and money on a one-shot use item that may not even make it on board.

My thought would be 'Assassin'. 1 guy get's sent in and depending on his skill he can force the crew to eject and derelict the ship.

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 02:06

Well... if it can't be done here... Lets see whats in X:R!!!!

qwizzie
x4

Post by qwizzie » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 13:01

How about making the spy get tempory control of the targetship with its duplex / triplex scanner? lets say the spy can only get ownership for 5 seconds and than ownership gets automatically converted back to orginal owner? A hotkey can then be made which can activate it .. maybe once every hour?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”