Mulitplayer

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Erik963

Mulitplayer

Post by Erik963 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:05

Will X rebirth support multiplayer gameplay too ?

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:06

No.

Erik963

Post by Erik963 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:08

No mod or anything ? why ? It would be awesome to roam arround with players.

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:10

No; all kinds of reasons; no.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:10

We don't know if multiplayer will be possible through modding. We have to wait until the game comes out, editing tools are released, and users actually try to create a multiplayer mod.

But there will be no multiplayer functionality inherent to the game at release.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Skid
x4

Post by Skid » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:13

No, and assuming the universe is still made up of 10,000 of NPCs then you will never see a peer to peer multiplayer version. It would have to be done as a dedicated server and that means a whole lot of extra work.
:) Skid :)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:39

This is only wild speculation, but I'd expect local co-op before anything else. Combine that VR system with some support scripts, a special control setup, and an extra video card, monitor, keyboard, and mouse, it might work...
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 13:40

Congrats on starting the first of many 'i wants my multiplayer' threads in this brand-spankin'-new forum. The seal is now broken.
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:18

em3e3 wrote:Congrats on starting the first of many 'i wants my multiplayer' threads in this brand-spankin'-new forum. The seal is now broken.
Second :p

The first

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Syock

Post by Syock » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:22

We need to find a way to automate a merge of redundant threads.
Will work for food to develop in-game economy.

Bill Bones
x3

Post by Bill Bones » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:38

The X-series used to have a multriplayer mode. Just they called it EVE Online out of humility... :twisted:

Roh81

Post by Roh81 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:48

Actually I was thinking it kind of seems like a lot of the main reasons for no MP have been addressed. No more SETA being the biggest one. Te game was built in a way that makes it more work then possible? They claim they are rebuilding the game from scratch.

I get that we probably won't be seeing MP in the x-universe until they can make it into some cheap items mall mmo and make billions off of it. But it does seem like the old reasons aren't too valid anymore.

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 18:50

perkint wrote:Second :p

The first

Tim
Crap, I must have mentally blocked out that one. Ugh.
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 18:57

KloHunt3r wrote:We don't know if multiplayer will be possible through modding.
while it's true we don't, modding is being done by some kind of custom scripting system. The chances of a scripting system custom-written for a single-player game having a network API is rather slim ;)

maybe there'll be an SDK / C API as well as the expected modding system, but I very much doubt it
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 19:05

We don't know if multiplayer will be possible through modding. We have to wait until the game comes out, editing tools are released, and users actually try to create a multiplayer mod.
They tackled the fundamental barrier on XRB seems... Which was SETA but...

...The road for an X multiplayer is still too long...

- You need a protocol able to clone universe data to all players connected. Remember how some X's choked when enough entities (ships, stations, etc) saturated a sector?... Well... That's with information flowing in the same BOX... Now imagine sending that same information over the Net to EACH user not playing on the server computer. Not even commercial MMOs are able to deal with a minuscule fraction of what happened on the average X's Universe after enough Sectors were "active".

- What about moding? They will need somekind of integrity check to be sure everyone is playing the same versions of everything.

RavenIII
x4

Post by RavenIII » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 19:28

@ragamer: I don't envision something that thick, look at Minecraft - the host can have a huge world file, gigabytes in size (potentially even terrabytes IIRC). You aren't going to stream all of that to a new player just joining your server, you stream "chunks" based on the player location! When they update a chunk, like taking a block out, it tells the server its done that, and its updated locally.

You'd keep track of where players are, and Stream the necessary data to them for them to do what they're doing; be it fighting, trading, scanning, mining (and allowing for nearby possibilities). The server may keep track of thousands of ships, but it doesn't need to tell someone in another area that they're there unless specifically asked for that information.

On scripting multiplayer in, unlikely - I know there have been attempts to make strictly singleplayer games contain a multiplayer component, Just Cause 2 for example. Usually a great deal of hacking entails and I haven't seen many actually come to fruition. I know Torchlight 1 has a few attempts, but I see little point when Torchlight II is around the corner.

Minor edit: yes, you do have a point about sector choking - but we have no idea if sectors really exist as they did - sounds much more open than before. Dedicated servers more than likely necessary to make a proper job of it.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 19:40

Anyone notice that the - much maligned - fact that one can __fly__ only 1 ship, makes XRB a step closer to MP?

To tell you the truth, I don't want an X-MMO, but a co-op MP universe would be something that most people want to see happening. XR is still a long way from being MP-capable, but the first 2 steps have been made (no SETA and single player ship).

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 19:58

@ragamer: I don't envision something that thick, look at Minecraft - the host can have a huge world file, gigabytes in size (potentially even terrabytes IIRC). You aren't going to stream all of that to a new player just joining your server, you stream "chunks" based on the player location! When they update a chunk, like taking a block out, it tells the server its done that, and its updated locally.
Multiplayer Protocols are not driven by what each player can access at different points...

...They are driven why what each player can interact with at a given time...

...The problem with X's is that each player can literaly interact with the whole universe that includes thousands of potential entities. Not just entities in sector, but OOS through remote commands... That's the real issue...

...If you have the time do the effort of picturing in your mind the MMOs you know and in all of them, at a given time, players can interact with a reduced set of entities, with luck a milifraction of what the average X's player is exposed to.

That's the main issue as "interaction" also includes "perception" of the entities so each client can present to each player the same image of the universe.

There wouldn't be too much issues doing dogfights in multiplayer with the X's engine... But the integral X's experience? You first need to cut it in small chunks the players can interact with.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 20:05

Actually, the main choke point that prevent MP in X, at least on large scale is because it's simulated combat.

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 20:13

Actually, the main choke point that prevent MP in X, at least on large scale is because it's simulated combat.
Not at all... Simulations are mostly visualization work, which is simply client based.

The network data you need is extremely simple, namely coordinates of perceived ships and proyectiles...

...Your client will generate locally the data needed then to "fill up the gap" to show you a smooth action.

But even here, you can easily perceive that EACH ENTITY requires this dataset sent regularly... So you can easily imagine there is a limit on the ammount of concurrent ships that can interact between each other triggered by how much (and fast) the server can handle the information to the players (and ofc receive their commands).

IMO the Real Monster would be the Remote Sector Map... With different players checking potentially different sectors at the same time, each with far more entities a single player can interact with even in sector.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”