[PROBLEM-SOLVED] Bad FPS with mod ship

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Brahemino
x4

[PROBLEM-SOLVED] Bad FPS with mod ship

Post by Brahemino » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 17:14

HI!
My game run just fine with the highest details...but when i spawn two custom ship (from mod) i had bad fps...I don't think it's a problem related with my hardware configuration or something with my VRAM, i think that becouse i had this problem only after i've added a custom dummies.pck file for those two ships (under ../types)...without the custom dummies file (that is needed if I want working turrets) the ships work fine, no issue at all, my game run really smooth...

What do you think about this?
Last edited by Brahemino on Sat, 30. Jun 12, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
www.calciopeglio.netsons.org
Un paese e la sua realtà calcisitca.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 19:41

which mod?

{Indeed. [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216696][b]T[/b][b]C[/b] [b]S[/b]&M Posting [b]R[/b]ules[/url] does not have Rule #1 and Rule 12 for nothing. :sceptic: Tell the mod, or better yet ask in the correct thread. jlehtone}
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 23:45

Killjaeden wrote:which mod?

{Indeed. TC S&M Posting Rules does not have Rule #1 and Rule 12 for nothing. :sceptic: Tell the mod, or better yet ask in the correct thread. jlehtone}
it's not a mod in particular, i've just added two ships from Nexus: The jupiter incident to my game (which has XRM installed), all ships work fine, only these two lag the game...
I was wondering if dummy file weights on the performance somehow if this add many new element to the game such as new turrets

I read posting rules..but i think this one is an uncategorized issue regarding modding, don't you?

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 01:52

Which two of Jorkin's numerous Nexus ships from leitefrit.ru did you install...

What you are experiencing doesn't seem to be hardware related rather too many polygons/large textures related...
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 08:58

TrixX wrote:Which two of Jorkin's numerous Nexus ships from leitefrit.ru did you install...

What you are experiencing doesn't seem to be hardware related rather too many polygons/large textures related...

Yeah, i think you're right...most of nexus ship are almost "squared" and their textures are standard argon ones. By the way the ships that particulary lag the game are the oldest, the ones with the circular orbiting section (Stiletto, KSK kensai...if you know what i'm talking about)...But i don't think this is the problem, because without the dummy file they work fine...they work fine till i don't add the dummy for making turrets operative...as i said, without the dummies, without working turrets i'm not having bad fsp at all, so i think that's a problem connected to the turrets...is the dummy file weighting onto the game overall performance?
Did i miss something editing the dummy file lagging the game perferomance when i spawn those ships? Is it possibile?
:?

i'm quite perplexed...

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 10:38

Does it make a difference ifwhen your looking away from the ship?

It does sound like the ship is too complex. do you know what the dummies are used for? Is it custom turrets or docking ports ?

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:23

Cycrow wrote:Does it make a difference ifwhen your looking away from the ship?

It does sound like the ship is too complex. do you know what the dummies are used for? Is it custom turrets or docking ports ?
Hi Cycrow...i think you got it! When i zoom out the game returns smooth again...The dummies are both for custom docking and custom turrets...
The docking is "traditional" but has a custom docking slot for a TS too...
What will happen if i remove the custom docking slot for the TS? Will i gain any frame?

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Mon, 25. Jun 12, 15:05

Sorry for doubleposting...
but still nobody suggest me any solution for the problem....and i'm trying to refocus on the problem replying to this old topic.
Any new suggest 'bout it?

zhukov032186
x3tc

Post by zhukov032186 » Mon, 25. Jun 12, 17:20

@Brahemino

Well, as far the Nexus ships are concerned...

XRM already has several of the NDF ships (the battleship, cruiser, and destroyer).

Cadius ship pack (which is where those three come from) if you look at the new Yaki ships, I believe those are the "Earth" cruisers with the rotating centrifuges.

I don't know much about importing models into X3, atm, but it seems using already existing version of the ships you're wanting would probably help. If you don't like the texture jobs on them, retexturing them would probably be simpler than trying to merge whole new ships.

The above mentioned ships, are not direct ports of the Nexus ships, but he used the mesh as a base which he tweaked and improved detail on (Nexus is even older than X3)

-edit

If you want to keep the originals and make "copies" with new textures, you could probably just copy the necessary info into the placeholder slots and away you go.

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 09:53

zhukov032186 wrote:@Brahemino

Well, as far the Nexus ships are concerned...

XRM already has several of the NDF ships (the battleship, cruiser, and destroyer).

Cadius ship pack (which is where those three come from) if you look at the new Yaki ships, I believe those are the "Earth" cruisers with the rotating centrifuges.

I don't know much about importing models into X3, atm, but it seems using already existing version of the ships you're wanting would probably help. If you don't like the texture jobs on them, retexturing them would probably be simpler than trying to merge whole new ships.

The above mentioned ships, are not direct ports of the Nexus ships, but he used the mesh as a base which he tweaked and improved detail on (Nexus is even older than X3)

-edit

If you want to keep the originals and make "copies" with new textures, you could probably just copy the necessary info into the placeholder slots and away you go.

Thx for the suggest, i've already noticed those ship, but even if their design is inspired from Nexus the jupiter incident, they are far from looking like the original ones, the are not worst, just differnt.
They use reworked meshes too and i don't think just putting Jorkin's orginal texture in the right directory can be an effective way to obtain issue-free ships.
I've sended an e-mail directly to Jorkin and he replied to me saying that the FPS drop when using his nexus ship is due to the glitches and bugs from TC engine itself and those lag isn't absolutely connected to the meshes complexion of his ships and the ones telling this probably don't understand anything of 3D modelling. I think he is right, infact Nexus ships are almost squared and they don't have so many polygons per mesh as i saw for other ships...but the problem as we said before it's problably related to how TC engine renders Jorkin's turrets only (tried its ships without them -> no performance losses)...however facts are saying the only ships i can't use ingame are those.
Infinite considerations loop -> cul de sac.
So no solution for the poor Brahemino.
I'm moving to unistall those ships. Sigh, sob :cry:

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 10:30

There's no fast solution to this Brahemino. The original meshes would need to be refined and re skinned. As you can see from the replies above the X engine just rolls over and dies when a huge poly model is introduced to the universe, which is why all of the great ship and station builders here spend hours getting the most out of their works by creating low polygon models from the get go.

It is my hope, that the next iteration of the X series can handle higher poly models without a huge fps drop. Then some of the folk here will be able to realise their dreams and display what they really want to.
Still life in the old dog yet...

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 10:46

That's my hope too! :wink:

zhukov032186
x3tc

Post by zhukov032186 » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 17:28

When I said "copy the necessary info into the placeholder slots" I was referring to Tships.

What I was suggesting was that you take the models Cadius created and alter them to your personal tastes. A straight port of Nexus models will not work, as has already been mentioned, for a variety of reasons. They will need alterations. These basic alterations have been done on Cadius ships already, solving that particular problem.
You could then edit the models themselves to taste (make it bigger, or smaller, add a fin here, or lop one off, whatever is necessary to make it more closely resemble what you are wanting) then apply the Nexus textures. This does not mean "copy and paste textures", it means RE-TEXTURE.

Once you have the models themselves the way you want them, rather than overwriting the ones that already exist, you can use the placeholder spots in Tships to add them. If you are careful and don't alter dimensions too much, you can probably re-use the scene info from Cadius ships.

As said, there's no "easy" fix. But if you're willing to take some time, you can achieve what you're wanting, more or less.

I just wanted to explain, because it seems you misunderstood.

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 17:37

zhukov032186 wrote:When I said "copy the necessary info into the placeholder slots" I was referring to Tships.

What I was suggesting was that you take the models Cadius created and alter them to your personal tastes. A straight port of Nexus models will not work, as has already been mentioned, for a variety of reasons. They will need alterations. These basic alterations have been done on Cadius ships already, solving that particular problem.
You could then edit the models themselves to taste (make it bigger, or smaller, add a fin here, or lop one off, whatever is necessary to make it more closely resemble what you are wanting) then apply the Nexus textures. This does not mean "copy and paste textures", it means RE-TEXTURE.

Once you have the models themselves the way you want them, rather than overwriting the ones that already exist, you can use the placeholder spots in Tships to add them. If you are careful and don't alter dimensions too much, you can probably re-use the scene info from Cadius ships.

As said, there's no "easy" fix. But if you're willing to take some time, you can achieve what you're wanting, more or less.

I just wanted to explain, because it seems you misunderstood.
The fact is i'm not so expert as you think, but i've understood now and what you said could be a good solution indeed.
So thx again, my intention wasn't to miscredit what you said, the help you gave me it more than well accepted. :)

zhukov032186
x3tc

Post by zhukov032186 » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 19:20

I'm not an expert either, by any means :) I started messing with Tships a few weeks ago, and am thinking about some modeling work. I've some prior experience, but the systems I used before were not at all similar to Gmax or 3ds. It's going to be a pain learning these new "ways" of doing things...

I miss my Magic3d :(

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 23:26

I've got some news about those ships i was talking (nexus).
I've found that deleting weapons entries without any laser parts for each cockpit increases performance dramatically.
I think that is because of something realead to polygons compenetration that was affecting each turret...
I hope i've explained well the whole thing, i'm no so good writing in english...and i hope this will help anyone who was trying to solve this problem :)

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Sat, 30. Jun 12, 15:09

Hi all...
I solved once far all the problem of bad fps with Jorikin's ships.
As i thought all the problem was related to his custom turrets.

I've edited _scene file and and tship...and voilà...no peferomance losses!

http://www.calciopeglio.netsons.org/x3screen00080.jpg

In the image the ship with turrets from cadius

{Images posted to the forum should be no greater than 640x480, oversize image now linked - Terre}

CKYRules
x4

Post by CKYRules » Sun, 1. Jul 12, 02:39

How did you edit the turrets? Because i want to use some of jorkins stargate ships but they cause a good bit of lag when i normally get 60fps?

CKYRules
x4

Post by CKYRules » Sun, 1. Jul 12, 20:29

Brahemino wrote:I've got some news about those ships i was talking (nexus).
I've found that deleting weapons entries without any laser parts for each cockpit increases performance dramatically.
I think that is because of something realead to polygons compenetration that was affecting each turret...
I hope i've explained well the whole thing, i'm no so good writing in english...and i hope this will help anyone who was trying to solve this problem :)
Edit- Nevermind i figured out how to delete the dummy file in the package creator. my frames are back up to 60fps when i use jorkins ships. Thanks alot for your solution!

Einheit 101
x3tc

Post by Einheit 101 » Mon, 23. Jul 12, 18:02

Hey guys, i am currently working on a Nexus mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=d ... -M013_aB_E

I will delete some weapons to increase performance, too many guns are not authentic for my mod. Noah Battleship needs most performance btw.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”