Short interview with Bernd

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Decimatarius
x4

Post by Decimatarius » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 13:08

Kor'ah wrote:Local Highways - Can jump in and out of at will. Just like the old Freelancer Trade Lanes, but with the allowance of road rage.

Super Highways - Once you are in one you stuck in it until the end point is reached.

No idea how we get from solar system to solar system. Everything that was outlined, and the functions, was confined into the context of a single solar system.
I remember hearing in the interview video i think it was, that the local highways that you can drop in/out of go between places of interest in a solar system. And the Super ones that you cant jump on and off go between the different solar systems. So its exactly like Freelancer with the trade lanes and jump gates except for more control with the trade lane highways.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 13:45

The thing is how to we get into the highways? Are there actual gates or something like them that you have to acivate or fly through to get through one. :?

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 14:08

IMO it's a safe bet there will be gates to get in and out. And I think it's correct that the roads you can join & leave at any time are for intra system travel and the highways (fixed point entry & exit) are for inter system travel. But it has not (as far as I remember) been explicitly stated that way. And I wonder where the jump gates come in to it, since they are still around and it has been heavily suggested that they (some of them?) will become operational again.

I'd like to see it clarified if it's possible (however silly) to fly from one system to another without using the highways or jump gates. And if more highways can be created - if so, fixed ones as part of plots or any you choose & pay Jonferco to create for you (since Bernd has confirmed you will not be able to build them yourself, only they can build them).

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 14:16

The old game was bogged down(in my opinion) by a Death reload last save cycle that was common in the 80's - 90's
Actually it was more of a death/restart cycle, which worked fine when games were 20min-1hour long and every death was another quarter in the arcade. As game lengths got longer other mechanics were required, such as lives, continues, then complete save files, which were trimmed back to checkpoints, etc.

Modern "short life" games include the rogue-likes, where a typical character only lasts about 5% of the game. Once again, death isn't so bad when it sets you back a few minutes, especially as you learn how to make it further and further on. Even if you die near the end, it's more of a reward that you made it so far! :roll:

Noimageavaiable
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 14:57

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:The thing is how to we get into the highways? Are there actual gates or something like them that you have to acivate or fly through to get through one. :?
It's all been said on gamescon. There are areas around a planet which are traversed with highways you can drop out of instead of SETA. Then there are transorbital accelerators, now called super highways where you can't drop out. You use them to travel between planetary bodies. And then there are good old jumpgates for inter-system travel. In the end it's just Terran space from TC only now the hole thing is called a sector. All they changed was semantics.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 15:28

Kor'ah wrote:
No idea how we get from solar system to solar system. Everything that was outlined, and the functions, was confined into the context of a single solar system.
Jump gates. The gate system is down, but that does not mean down forever.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 15:41

Jump drives are still in because in the video interview he said you can target things like "jump drives".

Also i think somewhere it was said that not all the gates are disabled as still some are still active so who knows how that will work. If true then i would imagine the gates that are active are the ones linking to vast distances and there wont be many of them. Think of gta with the bridge blocking access into the next city. These active gates might be like that to go from argon to split space or somit perhaps. Unless there are no gates active in which case, nvm.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 16:07

Skeeter wrote:What i do not understand is that Bernd said previously you could hop in and out of the highway system at any time when going through but now he says you cant hope out in this new mini interview?

Which is it?

As some of us quite liked the idea of poping in a highway stream going along between two points and just flying out the side and maybe be in some empty space we can put a secret base of our own in or maybe hope ES uses a random generator system to seed the empty vastness of space with nebulas, wormholes or hidden pirate bases or whatever cool unique spacy stuff so it adds to exploration like in star trek or somit.
your misreading what he said
Ships can not just leave the highway in the middle, they can also enter it.
the last bit, meaning you can leave, and enter in the middle

Walkop
xr

Post by Walkop » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:22

What about the Unfoccused Jumpdrives invented by the Terrans? Don't they not even need gates to operate, since they can be used inside Terran sectors (the Solar System)?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe this is how some (richer) people or governments get around, while the gates are down.

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:51

I wonder the same, Jumpdrivers are IN... but highways are the only form of fast travel?! something is wrong here...

I wonder why they just dont allow for freely jump to coodinates.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:57

LTerSlash wrote:I wonder the same, Jumpdrivers are IN... but highways are the only form of fast travel?! something is wrong here...
Honestly I hope the JD go to the way of doodle land now that we have the highway system. Or at least make it only available on the largest ship.

Xeroeth
x4

Post by Xeroeth » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 18:03

Even if there will be no JD in vanilla, mods will change that.
||MOBO: ASUS X99-A II||CPU:I7-6800k||GPU:EVGA 3080FTW3||RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z 64GB||PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W P2||
||DISPLAYS:SAMSUNG G9 & IYAMA PROLITE XU2390||LCS:2xHWL BLACK ICE SR2 480 & LAING D5||SYSTEM:WIN 11||

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 18:34

about the random pirates of the route of highways

In the thread what we know about Rebirth its stated that nothing will be random in the game

bit of a let down because I would be so cool to have random things between zones

never know what you gonna get :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 18:45

*shrug*
Any sufficiently complex system is indistinguishable from a random system.

For instance, most of the "random" numbers that computers use are not random at all but follow a random-looking pattern.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

The Cuban Nightmare
x3

Post by The Cuban Nightmare » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 00:44

Gazz wrote:Hmmkay.
So you can not build / alter highways, which makes deep space in XRB as useless as in TC.

There goes exploration.
If it hasn't been explored already (aka a highway built), you can not discover any interesting uhh... real estate because it would stay forever "too far out to be worthwhile".

Besides the updated release date, Bernd took great care not to answer any of the other questions. =P
I'm still holding out for the idea of a cruise drive. Bernd said we could target cap ships jumpdrives (when he was talking about subsystems) so I assume that we can at least have capital ships jump into deep space. What this would mean is that you'd be reliant on large ships ferrying fleets of smaller ones, but it would provide more security. I don't think it'd work for a production station, but could work as a pirate one...

Also, if we can't build em, it will come out in a mod. I will get said mod. Until then, I will maintain hope.
I'm your worst nightmare....

Apocalypse Incorporated; destroying a planet near you!

Ebonyfly
x3tc

Post by Ebonyfly » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 02:34

It sounds as though the Rebirth universe is somewhat like a collection of Terran systems in X3TC with systems connected to each other by jump gates and inter-system travel handled by highways and super highways instead of SETA and Accelerators.

I hope that navigating highways makes for lasting fun because I found travelling through the Terran systems got old very quickly.

Inauxas

Post by Inauxas » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 03:16

2012... :-( I was all excited about the 4th quarter 2011 they have posted on THEIR site. This saddens me greatly. Looks like it will be Skyrim and SOTS 2.

Mixomyzetoum
x3tc

Post by Mixomyzetoum » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 10:56

Is the word "übership" an original part of the interview? :D
Wie man's macht ist's verkehrt. Und macht man's falsch ist's auch nicht richtig.
Split dir nun zeigen was Angst ist! AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!

Seon
x4

Post by Seon » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 17:20

Mixomyzetoum wrote:Is the word "übership" an original part of the interview? :D
Yeah, it is. Everything on the interview is exactly what Bernd said. 8)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”