steam achievements in a **modified** game?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should you be able to get acivments with a **modified** game

yes
42%
no
58%

Total votes: 50

corhen
x3tc

steam achievements in a **modified** game?

Post by corhen » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 08:47

Hey all, i wondering, as it says in the title, if in this game we will be able to get steam achievements in a **modified** game? Provided, of course, it comes out on steam

I understand the Uplink needs to separate non **modified** and **modified** games, and i understand that some people would be able cheat themselves to all the acivments, but i think that the small minority of people shouldnt deny access for the majority.

Afterall, right now anyone can download a saved game and complete the steam achivments that way!

What do you guys think?
Jovianmoon wrote:
apricotslice wrote:...auto-pillok...
Are we ready to collide with that asteroid?
Yes sir! Engaging auto-pillock!

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 08:58

What is it with achievements? I play for fun, not for some idiotic achievement telling me that I killed my quadrizillion enemy. Your voting should have one more line with "I do not give a damn about achievements."
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 09:01

hmm, i had a "Dont Care" option, but aparently hit enter at the wrong point
Jovianmoon wrote:

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 09:09

You can modify your first post, and add the option.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 09:14

i can edit the first post, but there are no options to change the poll in it
Jovianmoon wrote:

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 09:44

...but i think that the small minority of people shouldnt deny access for the majority.
Uhmm, the access isn't denied for the majority. Start a Vanilla game, get all achievements and then you can modify your game as much as you want.
Afterall, right now anyone can download a saved game and complete the steam achivments that way!
If anyone can get all achievements anyway, what's the point in having them?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 09:58

anyone CAN already get all the achievements (or, at least, most of them) by loading a save or 2. i accidently got the Billionaire achievement when loading a save to try to get the Solar Flare achievement for the summer sale... so the current system doesn't work to begin with

And i find, at least with X3TC, that its quite a poor game without mods. i am always running into problems, or stuff that could be done so much better with a ballenced mod, that its painful to play unmodified.

so, buy allowing **modified** games to get achievements,
A) you wont change the fact that some people are just going to cheat themselves most of the achievements. It already happens, and will almost certainly continue to happen no matter what measures Egosoft takes.
B) WILL be allowing people, who love the game, and love "hats" to get them.

Besides, by the few, thats people who are willing to cheat to give themselves achivments, NOT the people who prefer to play a modified/unmodified game. and saying "just play a unmodified game, get the achievements, then modify" is similar to saying "run a marathon, then run another one." X3tc is a LONG game, i can invest hundreds of hours into a universe without getting very far into it, and why should those hours be worth less, because i want to play it my way with better balanced weapons and ships, than someone who prefers to use the default ones?
Jovianmoon wrote:

kirth
x4

Post by kirth » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 10:22

corhen wrote:anyone CAN already get all the achievements (or, at least, most of them) by loading a save or 2. i accidently got the Billionaire achievement when loading a save to try to get the Solar Flare achievement for the summer sale... so the current system doesn't work to begin with

And i find, at least with X3TC, that its quite a poor game without mods. i am always running into problems, or stuff that could be done so much better with a ballenced mod, that its painful to play unmodified.

so, buy allowing **modified** games to get achievements,
A) you wont change the fact that some people are just going to cheat themselves most of the achievements. It already happens, and will almost certainly continue to happen no matter what measures Egosoft takes.
B) WILL be allowing people, who love the game, and love "hats" to get them.

Besides, by the few, thats people who are willing to cheat to give themselves achivments, NOT the people who prefer to play a modified/unmodified game. and saying "just play a unmodified game, get the achievements, then modify" is similar to saying "run a marathon, then run another one." X3tc is a LONG game, i can invest hundreds of hours into a universe without getting very far into it, and why should those hours be worth less, because i want to play it my way with better balanced weapons and ships, than someone who prefers to use the default ones?
I totally agree with this.

To tell the truth, i really dont care about achievements, but i think it would be good to let everyone get them.

Besides people who want to cheat WILL cheat,Speaking for myself, I dont have fun with "give myself over9000 million credits" wooooa i got an archivement -.-

strude
x4

Post by strude » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 10:39

corhen wrote:anyone CAN already get all the achievements (or, at least, most of them) by loading a save or 2. i accidently got the Billionaire achievement when loading a save to try to get the Solar Flare achievement for the summer sale... so the current system doesn't work to begin with

Because the achievement is based on the difficulty of achieving the goal within a vanilla game. Even if you are NOT modifying to cheat the achievements, it would still make some achievements worth nothing at all. For example, assume a hypothetical achievement "Make 10,000,000 credits profit in a single transaction". If a mod you are using increases the price difference for all goods, just because you think the prices are unbalanced in vanilla, then the goal of the achievement might occur nearly every transaction.

I'm voting no. If people want to cheat the system to get the achievements that's their business. To have people claiming to have gained the achievements legitimately, using mods that might affect the requirements, would be wrong, regardless of whether the mods are there for the players enjoyment or just to help get the achievement.

As for your example of accidentally getting an achievement, well you were trying to cheat the achievement system at the time, so I'd hardly say the system is broken. If you wanted to keep your achievements pure, you should have got the Solar Flare achievement on your own.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 10:55

The achievmements crap is yet another reason why I dislike Steam! Its just complete BS! What is the point? Its just like saying you have a bigger one than every one else! ( which I have by the way! :P )

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:15

plynak wrote:What is it with achievements? I play for fun, not for some idiotic achievement telling me that I killed my quadrizillion enemy. Your voting should have one more line with "I do not give a damn about achievements."
Nope.You first have to have all achievements then you can play for fun.Those achievements are there like an unfinished business and you can't have fun knowing are there :wink:
greypanther wrote:The achievmements crap is yet another reason why I dislike Steam! Its just complete BS! What is the point? Its just like saying you have a bigger one than every one else! ( which I have by the way! :P )
Welcome on Earth .All games have achievements now.If are not Steam then it will have GFWL achievements .

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:21

With all due respect Adrian, BOLLOX! Only while people put up with that nonsense! I am 44, not 14 and couldnt give a rats ass what other people think of how well I have done in a GAME! :P

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:33

greypanther wrote:With all due respect Adrian, BOLLOX! Only while people put up with that nonsense! I am 44, not 14 and couldnt give a rats ass what other people think of how well I have done in a GAME! :P
GFWL has points.Believe it or not I have more points than my son ,way way more points.We had a "who reaches first 7000 points" race and I won ....I know its pathetic :lol:

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:35

:lol: You are in actual fact 14 arnt you Adrian? Go on admit you are in fact amtcts son?! :o

strude
x4

Post by strude » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:39

greypanther wrote:The achievmements crap is yet another reason why I dislike Steam! Its just complete BS! What is the point? Its just like saying you have a bigger one than every one else! ( which I have by the way! :P )
It's hardly a reason to not like Steam though. If you don't have interest in achievements you don't have to have anything to do with them.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:40

greypanther wrote::lol: You are in actual fact 14 arnt you Adrian? Go on admit you are in fact amtcts son?! :o
I can't be 14 because my son is 25 and yes I play more games than him.I even played TC on a laptop in my car while driving .The most scary part is that we have in off topic some people that are even older that play more games than me :lol:

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:42

No its just another reason.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:51

greypanther wrote:The achievmements crap is yet another reason why I dislike Steam! Its just complete BS! What is the point?
Selling units.

A lot of players just aren't good at setting their own goals.
Achievements give them orders to do this or that. Following orders is easy.

The "tasks" are usually 20000% pointless but that's not the point. There isn't one. Hence pointless.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 12:09

Thats actually quite sad Gazz; don't people have imagination? Perhaps just a reflection of modern society, lots of sheep, few leaders. Perhaps life is too easy in the so called 1st world. :(

( Better shut up now before this becomes off topic! ) :)

Arragoth
x3ap

Post by Arragoth » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 12:30

i never cared for archievement in any game, that includes the X series as well :D
But i am a sucker for plots/storylines and thats often my "guideline" in games..
But in X i create my own goals, as and mostly conquest ones (i am a savage split afterall ;))

But **modified** archievemnt even though not interrested myself, i dont think its "fair" since you can mod the game too oblivion making yourself uberstrong and filthy rich with ease, making the archievements so easy too reach its become pointless..

but thats my view, everyone else is entitles too his/hers

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”