Game Pace

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How fast do you want "build" operations to finish?

Same as previous X's
66%
Faster than previous X's
34%

Total votes: 32

ragamer
x4

Game Pace

Post by ragamer » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 16:44

I was trying to figure how the new overall gameplay would be on XRB when something struck me...

...With SETA gone... How much ppl will have to wait for "things to happen"?

I mean, on previous X's players voluntarily relinquish "real time combat" to progress the Universe activating SETA, in particular to wait for:

- Slow Trade transports to arrive at their destination.

- A blueprint/shipbuilding task to complete.

- For station stock to replenish/refresh.

Now that time flow is homogeneous... I was wondering what ppl preferences would be about this... In previous X's the time to complete any of the above operations was easily a multiple (around x20) of the ammount invested to travel "a sector" on the basic player ship (m4 fighter).

This is specially important as seems to be that XRB has a remarkable emphasis on BUILD+THINK.... And waiting doing nothing can be problematic for most players.

The Cuban Nightmare
x3

Post by The Cuban Nightmare » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:24

I think it will move much faster due to the trade lanes (yes, i know they are highways, but I prefer trade lanes like in Freelancer). In that game, a freighter could move around pretty quickly if it were on the transport network. They also had a cruise drive system which would disable your weapons and increase your speed drastically. I wonder if we'll see something like that.
I'm your worst nightmare....

Apocalypse Incorporated; destroying a planet near you!

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:28

I'm glad that it's gone really. In term of proper gameplay like travel speed and such XR is providing alternative. The other usage to me is more or less just a time cheat, the stuffs you mentioned like manufacturing or reverse engineering, the point is those task are supposed to take time. If people don't like the wait I'm sure they can use a seperate cheat package to give them what they want, but there is no point in compromising the gameplay for it.

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:33

I think it should be the same (or even slower), but we should have more stuff to do.

So while a trade run may take 10-15 minutes to complete, we should be doing other stuff meanwhile, so we do not get bored (configuring the player ship, stations, ships, drone loadouts, ammunition logistics, etc, etc).

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:36

With SETA being gone a quicker pace isn't going to hurt anything.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:44

Not voting until a 'slower than previous games' option is added.

Think things already happen too fast in X games, where it's possible to go from a single ship to a giant war fleet or galaxy spanning commercial empire (or both) in a matter of days. One of the reasons I restart so often (at least half a dozen times so far for TC & previous games were much the same) is that things happen far too quickly. Even the Hub, which started out as a decent challenge, was progressively nerfed to the point where it became trivial to complete in comparison to the original version.

My preference would be for the pace of XR to be about 1/4 that of TC (i.e. what takes a week to do in TC takes a month in XR).

Kitty
x3tc

Post by Kitty » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 19:45

GCU Grey Area wrote:Not voting until a 'slower than previous games' option is added.
Same here. A partial choice is an insult.
:shock:

Syock

Post by Syock » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 20:01

I vote slower too.
Will work for food to develop in-game economy.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 20:28

As do I. Sort out your poll! :P

Ebonyfly
x3tc

Post by Ebonyfly » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 20:52

I want to vote slower too...but only because the option isn't there :P

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 22:24

I vote slower as well.

An entire space station is built in ~20s in TC. That's a tad unrealistic to me :lol:

A game day sounds about right to me.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 01:57

I dont understand why most of the peoples talking about SETA as to made for traveling.
In Reunion at the first 100 days of game there was not enough income to buy and build every desired factory and i dont wanna wait months for serious missions to appear.
For those players who prefer to trade to gain acess for all type of buyable stuff it will be damn annoying to get sufficent rank without SETA. The CPU load over time will increase due expanding universe and the ammount of ships factories you have. It means SETA is become less n less effective. I have no problem with that if i have enough money to Build anything i want.
The first 24 hour is the most annoying thing even we have to learn everything from scratch.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Syock

Post by Syock » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 02:35

hokiturmix wrote:I dont understand why most of the peoples talking about SETA as to made for traveling.
In Reunion at the first 100 days of game there was not enough income to buy and build every desired factory and i dont wanna wait months for serious missions to appear.
For those players who prefer to trade to gain acess for all type of buyable stuff it will be damn annoying to get sufficent rank without SETA. The CPU load over time will increase due expanding universe and the ammount of ships factories you have. It means SETA is become less n less effective. I have no problem with that if i have enough money to Build anything i want.
The first 24 hour is the most annoying thing even we have to learn everything from scratch.
100 days? You need to try smuggling and stealing. I've lured pirates into police and picked up the mess they left behind. I find the start to be the most fun. Not far into the game I have stations spitting out more money than I can spend. Even if I don't have rank to buy and build everything in the game quickly, it isn't difficult to succeed overall. If you just want everything now, you can always cheat it in.

Xeroeth
x4

Post by Xeroeth » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 02:54

Money is the smallest problem in this game, there are many ways to earn it (legal or not ;p). I would vote for slower, just as few ppl said earlier, stations in x3 were build much to fast.
||MOBO: ASUS X99-A II||CPU:I7-6800k||GPU:EVGA 3080FTW3||RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z 64GB||PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W P2||
||DISPLAYS:SAMSUNG G9 & IYAMA PROLITE XU2390||LCS:2xHWL BLACK ICE SR2 480 & LAING D5||SYSTEM:WIN 11||

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 11:22

There is a reasson on why I didn't add the "slower" option...

...Some ppl didn't realize the impact SETA got on the evolution of the Universe and that what "broke" things in previous X's was the Jumpdrive, that most players exploited and most NPCs prefered to ignore, specially regarding Economical activities.

Some "food for the brain":

- Are you all aware that Stations on XRB are built, right? In a slow process of material accumulation?

- On previous X's are you all aware that was the Jumpdrive the one that made "building stations too fast". How many of you actually got a station built the basic way... Including hiring a NPC TL, guiding it to the SY selling your station and then to the sector you wanted it deployed. How many of you actually tried to do this WITHOUT SETA? Can any person asking for "slower" as an option to even think on building a compex WITHOUT a Jumpdrive+SETA capable TL?

- Then the deadly "station startup time"... How much time you did wait, on the average, for you new station/complex to "catch" in the local economy? To see if the options you chose gave you the income to justify your inverstment. I remember staying DAYS with SETA x10 until balance was achieved with the nearby Universe to realize how good (or bad) my inverstment was.

- Highways are just animated Jumpgates... They nut's an bolts will be the same as always. You want your Stations as close to one of the Highways so the traders can access them faster BUT... You don't want them as close as to not be able to react to hostiles coming your way. This has always been the issue (if you remove Jumpdrives out of the equation) the ratio of speed between the slow transports and the warships... Which always has to favor warships, as piracy is an integral part of X Universe.

This is what I was afraid... Old X's gamers got too used to specific "default ways to play" and may not be aware of how deep SETA removal will affect what they knew.
Last edited by ragamer on Thu, 6. Oct 11, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 11:35

Yes but when we say "slower" we mean:

Sending a TL to the right sector may take ages, yes, but that's not building a station, that's just supplying the materials. Actually deploying the station takes a few seconds and in essence a fully-built station materialises in seconds. That's way too fast.

SETA and the jumpdrive are part of the (old) game, therefore they are part of its pacing. The game is not designed to be played without them because you'd die of boredom. But particularly the fast travel effect of the jumpdrive, I didn't like because it was too easy.

I don't recall having the same trouble you did with station startup time. But the station needs to have its own traders to buy/sell its goods.

And in any case when you say "pace" of the game I am thinking more of the time it takes to afford a station, for example, or a capital ship. How fast you can progress to a higher wealth. Sometimes in TC that is frustratingly slow, and sometimes I think it is too easy. But too much in that game is just a bit broken.

At the end of the day though, when you make a poll your personal opinion is completely irrelevant. You can't just cut out an obvious and popular option because you don't like it. If the only purpose of the poll is for people to agree with you, don't bother making one :)

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 11:46

I don't recall having the same trouble you did with station startup time. But the station needs to have its own traders to buy/sell its goods.
Suplying the station wasn't the issue (Most builders did it manually at startup)...

...I refer to the "shockwave" in nearby sectors' price and item availability that in the long run could make your initially productive complex a loss, unless...

...You equiped your transports with Jumpdrives making them "Universe-wide", which basically made the location of your stations/complexes irrelevant.
And in any case when you say "pace" of the game I am thinking more of the time it takes to afford a station, for example, or a capital ship. How fast you can progress to a higher wealth.
I see that could be interpreted, certainly... Maybe I should have asked "How long you want to stay idling?"... Because that's the issue when ppl wants to copy'n paste some gameplays of old Xs in a new Universe lacking certain "features" that dramatically speeded up things.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 12:16

I hope that stations, especially multi-module ones, take an age to construct and get fully up and running. However, once they are up and running, I'd expect them to have the potential to be a better income source than most other activites.

In prior X-Games you might buy an insta-build factory to earn some additional credits while you do other stuff. You use money to maybe turn it into a complex, buy extra trade ships etc. etc. Eventually it will become a fairly good earner and NOT need any of the players time for the most part. Next the player can start buying additional M3's M6's whatever with the income from the complex helping.

In XR I hope things are turned around a bit. I.e. You do a few missions, get some money, upgrade your ship, buy some trade ships, buy some fighters etc. Now you have some assets, both military and trade, you can consider undertaking the task of factory construction. You have assets available (trade ships) to help gather / buy the resources needed in construction, some military assets to defend your property before it can defend its self. If I were a pirate and I saw an undefended construction site, well, I'd be tempted!

So for me a SLOW build-up is what I want, the idea that we will be building our stations really appeals to be as I was never a fan of the old insta-build mechanic in prior games.

Of course, with station managers, once your station is up and running hopefully it will be able to look after its self. It can have guns mounted, I assume defensive ships on board (I soooo miss that from X2!) and, given the correct standing orders, I hope the Station Manager will be able to buy additional trade / fighter ships as needed.

Well, these are my hopes based on what I read so far...

Cheers,

Scoob.

Syock

Post by Syock » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 12:35

imperium3 wrote:And in any case when you say "pace" of the game I am thinking more of the time it takes to afford a station, for example, or a capital ship. How fast you can progress to a higher wealth. Sometimes in TC that is frustratingly slow, and sometimes I think it is too easy. But too much in that game is just a bit broken.
I found making money at the start of TC stupidly easy with just hauling people around. As I made money and deployed stations, I still hauled people because I was making millions of credits in a few minutes flying my Disco.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”