Game Pace

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How fast do you want "build" operations to finish?

Same as previous X's
66%
Faster than previous X's
34%

Total votes: 32

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 11:35

Yes but when we say "slower" we mean:

Sending a TL to the right sector may take ages, yes, but that's not building a station, that's just supplying the materials. Actually deploying the station takes a few seconds and in essence a fully-built station materialises in seconds. That's way too fast.

SETA and the jumpdrive are part of the (old) game, therefore they are part of its pacing. The game is not designed to be played without them because you'd die of boredom. But particularly the fast travel effect of the jumpdrive, I didn't like because it was too easy.

I don't recall having the same trouble you did with station startup time. But the station needs to have its own traders to buy/sell its goods.

And in any case when you say "pace" of the game I am thinking more of the time it takes to afford a station, for example, or a capital ship. How fast you can progress to a higher wealth. Sometimes in TC that is frustratingly slow, and sometimes I think it is too easy. But too much in that game is just a bit broken.

At the end of the day though, when you make a poll your personal opinion is completely irrelevant. You can't just cut out an obvious and popular option because you don't like it. If the only purpose of the poll is for people to agree with you, don't bother making one :)

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 11:46

I don't recall having the same trouble you did with station startup time. But the station needs to have its own traders to buy/sell its goods.
Suplying the station wasn't the issue (Most builders did it manually at startup)...

...I refer to the "shockwave" in nearby sectors' price and item availability that in the long run could make your initially productive complex a loss, unless...

...You equiped your transports with Jumpdrives making them "Universe-wide", which basically made the location of your stations/complexes irrelevant.
And in any case when you say "pace" of the game I am thinking more of the time it takes to afford a station, for example, or a capital ship. How fast you can progress to a higher wealth.
I see that could be interpreted, certainly... Maybe I should have asked "How long you want to stay idling?"... Because that's the issue when ppl wants to copy'n paste some gameplays of old Xs in a new Universe lacking certain "features" that dramatically speeded up things.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 12:16

I hope that stations, especially multi-module ones, take an age to construct and get fully up and running. However, once they are up and running, I'd expect them to have the potential to be a better income source than most other activites.

In prior X-Games you might buy an insta-build factory to earn some additional credits while you do other stuff. You use money to maybe turn it into a complex, buy extra trade ships etc. etc. Eventually it will become a fairly good earner and NOT need any of the players time for the most part. Next the player can start buying additional M3's M6's whatever with the income from the complex helping.

In XR I hope things are turned around a bit. I.e. You do a few missions, get some money, upgrade your ship, buy some trade ships, buy some fighters etc. Now you have some assets, both military and trade, you can consider undertaking the task of factory construction. You have assets available (trade ships) to help gather / buy the resources needed in construction, some military assets to defend your property before it can defend its self. If I were a pirate and I saw an undefended construction site, well, I'd be tempted!

So for me a SLOW build-up is what I want, the idea that we will be building our stations really appeals to be as I was never a fan of the old insta-build mechanic in prior games.

Of course, with station managers, once your station is up and running hopefully it will be able to look after its self. It can have guns mounted, I assume defensive ships on board (I soooo miss that from X2!) and, given the correct standing orders, I hope the Station Manager will be able to buy additional trade / fighter ships as needed.

Well, these are my hopes based on what I read so far...

Cheers,

Scoob.

Syock

Post by Syock » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 12:35

imperium3 wrote:And in any case when you say "pace" of the game I am thinking more of the time it takes to afford a station, for example, or a capital ship. How fast you can progress to a higher wealth. Sometimes in TC that is frustratingly slow, and sometimes I think it is too easy. But too much in that game is just a bit broken.
I found making money at the start of TC stupidly easy with just hauling people around. As I made money and deployed stations, I still hauled people because I was making millions of credits in a few minutes flying my Disco.
Will work for food to develop in-game economy.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”