Plasma Burst Generators and the AI: A Tale of Folly?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

blackfire83
x4

Plasma Burst Generators and the AI: A Tale of Folly?

Post by blackfire83 » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 17:26

My current game is fairly 'pirate' in nature, and I'm as friendly with the Pirates as I can be. As a result, there are a handful of PBG Forges that sit full until I empty them. ;)

I've read many threads where people suggest PBG's on Novas and such. I've wondered how well AI pilots use PBG's, whether friendly fire is an issue, and whether they need alternate weapons. I like the idea of a fire-breathing wing of fighters. Perhaps even some fire-breathing M6's, as well.

Any tips on ships to use, loadouts, commands, etc? Up until now I've avoided PBG's and PSG's because of the friendly fire issues. But I wanna go ahead and try this now.

Thanks for your input!
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums...

X3:TC - Battlemaster, Master Industrialist

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 17:32

Fire breathing M6s live longer.... a fighterwing equiped with PBG is bound to die a quicker due to friendly fire.

RicoOcho
xr

Post by RicoOcho » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 17:36

is it true that this weapon(along with the ionD) when 2 or more is loaded on an AI controlled figher..Only ONE is actually firing????
An object in motion, stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force.
Sir Isaac Newton, The meanest person in space.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 17:41

I have a couple of Falcon Sentinels with PBG and a couple of Nova Raiders too. I have never lost another fighter to friendly fire. I do however assign the PBG wielding fighters with at least one 'bodyguard'. usually a Nova Raider with EBC/HEPT set to 'protect...' or maybe a couple of Pikes.

Hype V with 4 PBG 4 HEPT is nasty, arm turrets with a mix of EBC and HEPT and all guns can fire for a long time. Swarms of fighters disappear in a flash and M6 stand no chance.

Under player control even M7 are no problem.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 17:54

Remember that PBG do not damage as much you would think when used OOS because the 'multiple hits' effect seen IS does not work OOS and they are also not heavily weighted by the OOS combat weapon points chart.

@ RicoOcho: There may be just reduced graphical rendering for more than one beam/burst at the same time in the game. Perhaps this is designed to lessen the graphics processing hit without too much impact on actual damage figures though.

That said, there has been evidence given here that many types of weapon do not have the expected sum of effect when used in multiple numbers. (eg 8 x PBG not doing 8 x damage of 1 PBG). The PSG is another culprit. It may be down to the amount of coincident collision processing being beyond the capability of the system to cope with in the time. I have never seen it expressed as half expected damage or less though - not unless the game goes into very low fps as well.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Kobura
x4

Post by Kobura » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 18:08

Watching police AI use them I think they're ferociously effective.

Give them to a small wing (3-4?) faster craft that can make use of the short range and they'll be less likely to hurt each other, ducking and weaving through the enemies instead of sitting there roasting each other on the far side of an opponent each.
Proud of Clan
Proud of Battle
Proud of Honor

Kobura Shinja Cape

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 19:35

Nothing says I love burning plasma death like a Heavy Dragon armed with 12xPBG.

Me, I like to slot two of them into fighters, and that's almost always enough to BBQ anything that gets to close.

On the other hand, the Pirate, and Heavy Osprey can both mount PBG all the way around. It's not long range, but anything that gets too close is in for one nasty surprise.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kelvhan Amaratharr
x3tc

Post by Kelvhan Amaratharr » Sat, 8. Oct 11, 07:49

I have nine Ecplise fighters with 8 PBG mounted aboard my Panther and in combat never lost any to friendly fire. In fact they do very well and due to good shielding roast many enemies from space without falling.

I am quite satisfied with this variant.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”