Impulse Ray Emitter

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

johnb60
x3

Impulse Ray Emitter

Post by johnb60 » Sat, 8. Oct 11, 19:04

I have aquired a IRE for my Mercury Ship but cannot appear to fit it.
Any thoughts on the matter please.

John B. :?

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sat, 8. Oct 11, 19:12

Uhm ...
How did you try to fit it? And what were the results?

Also, remember that the Mercury only has a rear mounted turret which is not under direct player control unless you switch to the turret cockpit (default key is F1 to flip through the available cockpits). And remember that while you're in the turret the ship wil continue to fly straight ahead at whatever speed you set it to when you switched, no matter what.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

johnb60
x3

Post by johnb60 » Sat, 8. Oct 11, 21:34

Thanks for the answer.

John B. :oops:

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 8. Oct 11, 22:02

Note that the IRE is an extremely weak weapon. Its only uses are intercepting M5, drones, and missiles.
Zaitzev wrote:And remember that while you're in the turret the ship wil continue to fly straight ahead at whatever speed you set it to when you switched, no matter what.
Actually, if you've got a joystick with a throttle wheel, you can still control the ship's speed from the turret (though not its maneuvering).
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 10:36

StarSword wrote:Note that the IRE is an extremely weak weapon. Its only uses are intercepting M5, drones, and missiles.
That would be general misconception ; ) actually 8 of them in a nose of any fighter will be quite effective, though bit short ranged. Quick bullet, very precise and they can shoot forever.

In a beginning of my vanilla broke assassin start that I played for testing purposes for day or two, I sold pair of HEPTs immediately and bought 8 IREs. They proved surprisingly effective. Now I play XRM, it's a mod but irrelevant, there IREs are quite similar, and I combine them with PBEs of my Mamba Raider (same game start, slightly different) and they are quite effective, and energy undemanding.

So they have their usages but for a freighter, they are nothing special I agree, but he can't mount stronger guns anyway, and should not fight at all ; )

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 12:37

deca.death wrote: That would be general misconception ; ) actually 8 of them in a nose of any fighter will be quite effective, though bit short ranged. Quick bullet, very precise and they can shoot forever.
And all 8 together will do slightly less damage than a pair of PACs while using almost as much energy (208/s compared to 240/s). Yes, you'll miss a little more often with the PACs, but not enough to make 8xIRE a better loadout than, say, 3xPAC.

xanosdarkpaw
x3tc

Post by xanosdarkpaw » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 12:44

They are however awesome for missile defence on fighters.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 13:47

pjknibbs wrote: And all 8 together will do slightly less damage than a pair of PACs while using almost as much energy (208/s compared to 240/s). Yes, you'll miss a little more often with the PACs, but not enough to make 8xIRE a better loadout than, say, 3xPAC.

8 IRE = damage 1.120/11.200 =208 energy
2 PACs = dama. 1.496/12.000=240 energy

IRE - Good sides:
8 IRE cost 50% of 2 PACs, weight 2 instead of 6, have 40% faster bullet /more probably to score and have slightly lower energy requirements for same damage.

PAC
Have longer range. Setup can actually be upgraded.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 14:31

IREs are actually pretty decent weapons. The problem is that you can NEVER equip enough of them to pose a serious threat. It literally takes about 30-50 to do anything significant with them. No ship is built for the challenge, so it has to be modded in.

But man oh man, is it a blast.

If you want to kill anything bigger than an M4, it's time to move to bigger weapons.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 15:48

Bobucles wrote: If you want to kill anything bigger than an M4, it's time to move to bigger weapons.
I guarantee that moderately skilled pilot in Mamba with 8 IREs can take any M3 with no problems, except most heavily shielded ones /200MJ and more.

They look worse on paper then in usage really. With agile ship like Mamba you can glue his nose to his ship and just fry his ass constantly.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”