Zoning

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rwhiteruff
x3tc

Zoning

Post by rwhiteruff » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 13:27

As much as I'm still wary about the new game, the deluge of information stickies in this forum has got me excited and wondering about new possibilities.

One is this: If you can exit a highway at any point within a cluster, and you can build things from these so-called platform rigs, will it be possible to create your own player-controlled zones?

Say, taking your platform rig out of a lane at some midpoint between the asteroid belt and mars. You build several stations there. Would you be able to designate that as a new 'zone'? Call it Playersville, if you like? Maybe expand it to have a superhighway entry point to a distant system?

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 13:36

you can't just drop out anywere, you need to follow that highway until the next sector / region. i think there will be smaller trade lanes within these regions. for all we know stations may only be built in a selection of predefined locations.
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

WolfPilot

Post by WolfPilot » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 13:51

doug you are wrong, it was stated that you can drop out of a trade lane at any point. Furthermore (this point is speculation) I would assume it works a lot like freelancer where pirates are able to disrupt trade lanes to loot transports... As for zoning, I hope they have kept it as sandbox as possible. Predefined spots are no fun.

However! I think a lot more thought should be put in to where you put a station (i.e if its too far away from trade, or on a borderland, then its more expensive to run the station). If a station is built too near a sun or in a volitile environment (a gas cloud, asteroid feild etc) then it needs extra energy supplies to sustain its shields - this wouldn't deplete the stations HP over time, but rather just mean it needs a greater volume of energy in order to run.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 13:57

no you misunderstand or i didnt make it very clear, as far as i can tell each area for example mars will be split into several areas. there will be trade lanes between these areas which you "CAN" drop in and out of. but if i then wanted to go from mars to asteroid belt as the example above i would have to join a super highway, bernd said you cannot just drop in and out of these super highways which in essence are like the gate links in previous games.
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 14:00

WolfPilot wrote:doug you are wrong, it was stated that you can drop out of a trade lane at any point.
This only applies to local highways.
Bernd wrote:You can leave a local highway at any time and explore the areas between zones...

Local highways can be entered not just at their endpoints, but also anywhere in the middle.

Super highways are even faster than local highways and bridge interplanetary distances. Again you can influence your speed and interact with other ships but you can not leave a super highway in the middle.
So there are two types of highways: one you can enter and exit freely, and one you can't. This probably explains the variations in highway color we've seen in gameplay trailers and screenshots.
WolfPilot wrote:Furthermore (this point is speculation) I would assume it works a lot like freelancer where pirates are able to disrupt trade lanes to loot transports...
Bernd hints pretty strongly that piracy involves attacking transports by intercepting them along a highway.
Bernd wrote:Although a highway boosts your speed permanently as long as you are inside it, you can still influence your speed by skillful steering. This makes it fun to travel as fast as possible, but also possible to intercept other ships or even attack them in the middle of a highway.
But highway-disrupting technology would be fun, too.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

rwhiteruff
x3tc

Post by rwhiteruff » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 14:16

I was trying to use very specific words in my post. Highway instead of superhighway, etc. The idea is that you drop out between zones on a regular highway and make your own zone.

The question is whether or not you can create a new ... for lack of a better term, destination beacon or waypoint for your new area, so that you don't have to manually drop out of the highway at 'x' distance along the route to get to your stations or (heaven forbid) fly the distance the slow-boat way.

That's even if you can set your station rig to build in unzoned space to begin with. I'm hoping that's possible. :)

Ebonyfly
x3tc

Post by Ebonyfly » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 15:06

I guess it depends how much 'space' there is between zones. Asteroid Belt and Mars will likely be seperated by a Super Highway since that really qualifies as an interplanetary distance.

I also wonder how the map system will work in Rebirth. If you build between zones it might be your factories don't show up on any map!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”