New SETA exploit?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StarSword
x3tc

New SETA exploit?

Post by StarSword » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 06:50

I'm building a complex in Oort Cloud, which involves towing a lot of mines. I recently installed a Turbo Booster Mk2 on my Panther, so I punch the trigger on my joystick, then add SETA for good measure.

The turbo countdown stops in its tracks, as does the energy cell consumption.

Apparently, you can use SETA to maintain turbo indefinitely. Now if only you could turbo while towing...
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

navetta
x3ap

Post by navetta » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 07:45

doesnt work for me, but it seems to last a bit longer. what % seta are you using anyways?

rwhiteruff
x3tc

Post by rwhiteruff » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 09:16

I've had this happen to me once, but I haven't been able to replicate it. Which is a shame, because I would've liked to have used that during the OFF final mission in my slow-boat Boreas.

n.b. I don't have a joystick hooked up. I play with mouse & keyboard.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 09:23

navetta wrote:doesnt work for me, but it seems to last a bit longer. what % seta are you using anyways?
10x.

My suspicion is that it's another oddity of X3 being so CPU-intensive in the late game.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

navetta
x3ap

Post by navetta » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 09:31

oh by the way in the title you said "new seta exploit", so what are the older ones?

the only seta exploit i know of is when it causes turret scripts to hang allowing you to recharge shields... extremely unfair :D

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 10:00

navetta wrote:oh by the way in the title you said "new seta exploit", so what are the older ones?

the only seta exploit i know of is when it causes turret scripts to hang allowing you to recharge shields... extremely unfair :D
There's that one, and there's sitting in a secluded area of a sector and turning on SETA to earn oodles of cash in a relatively short RL timespan.

Those are the two (now three) I know of.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 10:49

Better spoiler this just in case
Spoiler
Show
There's a very useful couple when boarding.
With Seta on my drones don't fire and targets shields
rebuild.

Also sometimes it stops pods getting shot down. Not sure about
this though so I wouldn't rely on it.
I know that's an exploit but

"All's fair in love, war and boarding operations"

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 11:27

I don't think it's such a secret, so I undid the Spoiler:
brucewarren wrote:Allso sometimes it stops pods getting shot down. Not sure about

I guess that it most definetely stops the destruction of pods (as well as missilies and torpedoes by the way) as SETA stops the turrets of a ship while running (which has also already been mentioned above).

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 11:33

While IS, lure an enemy capital fleet (especially if also engaged with drones) into the middle of a bunch of asteroids and/or rocks that break when hit then press SETA x10. Watch the collisions as the fleet flounders about!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 15:21

I often turbo/SETA. I get normal behaviour, and have not seen anything like what has been described.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 15:33

It's not much of an exploit, really, because it's very situational.

When your CPU is working like a champ, you will never be able to "exploit" much that way.

It will always be somewhat easier to get missiles through defensive laser fire because SETA means lower FPS and that means that the missiles and laser bullets make larger steps inbetween frames.
There's a good chance they will both step over the collision point, never being in it.

The "real" exploit of completely shutting down turrets is a sign of an overworked CPU.
When X3 is running short on CPU cycles it randomly freezes 2 script instructions. Attack run and turn turret to target.
That means that the scripts of fighters and turrets randomly lock up. With vanilla turret scripts anyway.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 16:01

Gazz wrote:The "real" exploit of completely shutting down turrets is a sign of an overworked CPU.
When X3 is running short on CPU cycles it randomly freezes 2 script instructions. Attack run and turn turret to target.
That means that the scripts of fighters and turrets randomly lock up. With vanilla turret scripts anyway.
In the german forum, it was often advised that one should use SETA when trying to get boarding pods or torpedoes through to a ship as the turrets will stop firing under SETA. I don't know anymore whether it was said that the turrets shut completely or just stop firing, but I definetely know it works...
But how can TC still be that ressource-consuming?

best regards,

Rhox

navetta
x3ap

Post by navetta » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 16:04

Rhox wrote: In the german forum, it was often advised that one should use SETA when trying to get boarding pods or torpedoes through to a ship as the turrets will stop firing under SETA. I don't know anymore whether it was said that the turrets shut completely or just stop firing, but I definetely know it works...

best regards,

Rhox
because the game engine dates back to X:BTF

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 16:04

Well, it does sometimes work.
I just explained why. =P
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 16:47

Gazz wrote:Well, it does sometimes work.
I just explained why. =P
I only say it works for me every time I try. :wink:

best regards,
Rhox

SkullCowboy
x3tc

Post by SkullCowboy » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 17:14

There is always the "Seta in your space suit to repair big ships" trick. Kinda exploity...
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

fairywhipper

Post by fairywhipper » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 17:39

Gazz wrote:It's not much of an exploit, really, because it's very situational.

When your CPU is working like a champ, you will never be able to "exploit" much that way.

It will always be somewhat easier to get missiles through defensive laser fire because SETA means lower FPS and that means that the missiles and laser bullets make larger steps inbetween frames.
There's a good chance they will both step over the collision point, never being in it.

The "real" exploit of completely shutting down turrets is a sign of an overworked CPU.
darn, you learn something new each day, so i should slow my cpu down slightly while launching pods.... lol

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 18:15

brucewarren wrote:Better spoiler this just in case
Spoiler
Show
There's a very useful couple when boarding.
With Seta on my drones don't fire and targets shields
rebuild.

Also sometimes it stops pods getting shot down. Not sure about

Dude, upgrade your CPU :) I had all kind of issues with seta on my old CPU. Now on i7 I have all turrets firing and all ships/drones flying when on SETA...

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 19:07

Rhox wrote:
Gazz wrote:The "real" exploit of completely shutting down turrets is a sign of an overworked CPU.
In the german forum, it was often advised that one should use SETA when trying to get boarding pods or torpedoes through to a ship as the turrets will stop firing under SETA. I don't know anymore whether it was said that the turrets shut completely or just stop firing, but I definetely know it works...

best regards,

Rhox
the simple answer is that because the game is doing alot. Alot more than most other games need to do.

also, the fact that the game runs on a single core, means it can make full use of the latest hardware.

SETA just makes the problem worse, and it requires the game to update much quicker than normal, meaning it uses more resources than it would otherwise

DrATty
x3tc

Post by DrATty » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 19:21

SkullCowboy wrote:There is always the "Seta in your space suit to repair big ships" trick. Kinda exploity...
This is my favourite exploit. I'll spoiler the method for anyone that hasn't seen it before.
Spoiler
Show
You drop the SETA device from your ship (from the freight menu), eject, then fly into the canister that is now floating in space with your space suit. You can then use the repair laser and SETA at the same time. The device disappears when you enter a ship again so it's obviously best to do this somewhere where you can buy SETA. Alternatively, have a TM standing by to take the donor ship until it can be re-equipped.
I don't really see this as a cheat. It just avoids the tedious wait when repairing in real-time, and the usual loss of standing occurs just as when using SETA to 'make money' anyway.
My Blog
My Forum

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”