Would you pay more for a Steam free version of Rebirth/ DLC?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you pay more for a boxed, Steam free version of Rebirth?

Yes.
48%
No.
48%
DLC, yes.
No votes
DLC, no.
3%

Total votes: 29

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:29

I wouldn't pay more for a "steam free" version... Steam is perfectly functional if modding is done externally. And if Egosoft wants to appeal to ppl without internet connection (That will be hardly heard of on an online media as this forums, btw) they shouldn't go around charging them more.

Regarding DLC poll, you can really save your time... DLCs cannot be sold on a game with extensive MODing support... They are simply incompatible. And Devs have already confirmed they want to keep supporting Moding on XRB.

Don't want to start a flaming war or whatever... But as with the "full" games, the DLC world is filled with close to "scam offers" where the companies try to squeeze every single penny of their inconditional fans (The only ones that can even think on paying for "content" than can be up to 10 times more expensive than the one the base game offered).

If Egosoft takes that path with X series, you will know what will come next: Mods banning, Mod removal, more "eye candy" and less gameplay.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:58

ajax34i wrote:There's anecdotal evidence out there that people will swear up and down that they'll pay more for feature x but when it comes time to actually do so, they don't.
That´s simply not true. As I´m living in Germany, I´d even spent a week-end to make a trip to Egosoft HQ and fetch that special non-steam version from there.
ragamer wrote: Regarding DLC poll, you can really save your time... DLCs cannot be sold on a game with extensive MODing support... They are simply incompatible. And Devs have already confirmed they want to keep supporting Moding on XRB.
I beg to differ - Fallout New Vegas has excellent modding support AND provides (very) high quality DLCs.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Nividium

Post by Nividium » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 13:03

Steam activation is something I don't want mainly because I will be without the internet soon and won't be able to activate my copy of XRB. Why should I have to pay to get rid of something I don't want. Sounds like extortion to me.

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 13:07

I'm gonna chip in and turn up the heat. I'd pay MORE for a Steam version than box.

You say pirating is inevitable? Yes, it is. Almost. As such, a boxed version will have the nastiest ****ing countermeasures imaginable to keep the cracking groups at bay. X3R and X3TC were so hard to crack that there only ever showed up extremely few .exe versions as far as I know, judging by that we will have just as strong countermeasures this time. I didn't buy X3TC in box because I didn't want my computer filled with all that crap, I eventually bought it on Steam instead and have not felt any regret for a second. If I know a game will have nasty countermeasures I rather pay 50% more and get it on Steam.

That thing about not being able to have an internet connection that some of you claim... I call bull. You haveto be living under a rock not to have an internet connection, I REALLY DOUBT you have a gaming rig capable of playing XR and sit there like a moron offline, there might be ONE in ten thousand users of this forum that due to very unfortunate events can't have internet but can somehow afford a serious PC.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 13:12

As usual, the moment copy protection is mentioned people start discussing piracy. Sorry but you should know the rules by now.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”