Can you tow gates?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Can you tow gates?

Post by greypanther » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 23:44

Well has anyone tried? Are there repurcussions?
I was thinking of my own sector. :)

Starlight_Corporation
x4

Post by Starlight_Corporation » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 23:46

Sorry, gates are fixed and indestructable, so can't move or destroy them.

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 17:45

You can piss off local defense forces by attacking them though... I believe a tractor beam counts as aggression as well.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 17:55

Short answer: No. Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooo. :lol:

In vanilla, the tractor beam simply doesn't work on anything the player doesn't own. This is to prevent the obvious exploit where the player drags an enemy ship into an asteroid. :twisted:
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 19:26

Or an asteroid into an enemy ship. (Not that it's impossible, you've just got to have a mine on it.

Check out the Super Tractor Beam in S&M
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 20:25

Funny, I thought I did own the one in my own sector! I just do not like the orientation. :(

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 20:30

greypanther wrote:Funny, I thought I did own the one in my own sector! I just do not like the orientation. :(
If its icon isn't green, and it doesn't have the letter 'Y' at the start of its ID code, it ain't yours.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 20:39

Bloody cheating Paranid ^*>%! :x
I will have to watch the visiting pirates better too! :P

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 20:42

greypanther wrote:Bloody cheating Paranid ^*>%! :x
Teal'c wrote:Explain.
(Been on a Stargate: SG-1 binge.)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 20:47

The Paranid who ' sold ' the sector at the office thingy? ( New Home Plot )
Silly me assumed it would include all the fixtures and fittings!

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 20:49

greypanther wrote:The Paranid who ' sold ' the sector at the office thingy? ( New Home Plot )
Silly me assumed it would include all the fixtures and fittings!
Oh, that. I hope you looked around the guides and/or the wiki before choosing the sector. They're not all alike.

And no: it comes with lots of high-yield asteroids, but no assets apart from that.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 21:07

Yeh I saved before, so I could check each personally, before settling finaly.
I chose the least popular it seems. I just love that red planet.
Problem is I have a large defence force, which I will need as my end game will be the supression of the Split, the positioniong of which is made more difficult by the positioning of the gate so close to several Asteroids and rocks. ( I am finding hard to bring myself to destroy a high yield Nvidium roid. )
Think I may put my HQ in there too. Or not, as the whim takes me. :D

SkullCowboy
x3tc

Post by SkullCowboy » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 23:21

StarSword wrote:Short answer: No. Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooo. :lol:

In vanilla, the tractor beam simply doesn't work on anything the player doesn't own. This is to prevent the obvious exploit where the player drags an enemy ship into an asteroid. :twisted:
Why would that be considered an exploit? Legitimate tactic says I. :twisted:

Anybody remember the Star Fleet Command series of games?
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 23:28

StarSword wrote:
greypanther wrote:Funny, I thought I did own the one in my own sector! I just do not like the orientation. :(
If its icon isn't green, and it doesn't have the letter 'Y' at the start of its ID code, it ain't yours.
of course with the exception of plot related ships, like in the case of the Hyperion in X3R, and the Mobile Mining Base in the Aldrin2 plot.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 23:28

I wouldn't consider it an exploit if the AI was capable of doing the same thing. Sure, you can mod the game to where the AI strafes, uses Turbo Booster, etc. But I've never heard of a mod where the AI uses tractor beams, offensively or otherwise.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 23:31

VincentTH wrote:
StarSword wrote:
of course with the exception of plot related ships, like in the case of the Hyperion in X3R, and the Mobile Mining Base in the Aldrin2 plot.
Can you give commands to it? Fly it? Transfer freight to it? Dock at it?

If not, it's not yours.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 23:40

StarSword wrote:
VincentTH wrote:
StarSword wrote:
Can you give commands to it? Fly it? Transfer freight to it? Dock at it?

If not, it's not yours.
Oh, I responded in the context of what you can tractor-beam, not what you own :-)

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 15. Oct 11, 01:04

:headbang:

'Nuff said.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”