Who else used the price-hike cheat in BTF?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Boringnick
x3tc

Who else used the price-hike cheat in BTF?

Post by Boringnick » Sat, 15. Oct 11, 20:53

I am just wondering who else did this: In BTF, the AI transporter did check prices only once; just before they start their journey to a factory.

To get money fast I bought a solar power plant, set the price as low as possible and waited until an AI transporter wasn en-route to it. Then I docked in as fast as possible and set the price for energy cells to max.

Who else did cheat that way?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 15. Oct 11, 21:10

No, I didn't, and I'm not sure why you'd bother. The whole point of buying stations in any X game is as "fire and forget" money earners that you don't have to babysit all the time, whereas this approach seems to completely turn that on its head! I also wonder how much money you could have earned through normal trading in the time you spent watching for that ship to arrive...

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Sat, 15. Oct 11, 21:20

pjknibbs wrote:No, I didn't, and I'm not sure why you'd bother.
I agree that it is pointless in the long run, but the tactic was quite useful at the beginning when you just had enough money to buy a power plant.

The problem with SPPs in BTF was that you were not able to hire transporters for them to buy chrystals. You had to babysit them all the time and buy chrystals yourself.

Price-hiking with power plants helped generate enough money so that you could buy the more advanced stations which didn't require babysitting.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”