Paranid ships should not be symmetrical

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

brattbags01
x3tc

Paranid ships should not be symmetrical

Post by brattbags01 » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 18:37

This has always bugged me, the Paranid having three eyes would have a completely different design ethic compared to other races in fact their ships would be designed on a completely different principle as they view the universe in a totally different way.
I would have thought that their ships would in fact be alien to look at with a asymmetrical design.
X3 TC
Trade: Tycoon
Fight: X-Treme

tbowen
x3tc

Post by tbowen » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 18:45

You also have to wonder why they use names from ancient greek myth...a bit of earth envy? From the arrogant Nids?

brattbags01
x3tc

Post by brattbags01 » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 18:54

tbowen wrote:You also have to wonder why they use names from ancient greek myth...a bit of earth envy? From the arrogant Nids?
Well i'm guessing that humans named the ships themselves just for their own use.
X3 TC
Trade: Tycoon
Fight: X-Treme

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 19:29

Why asymmetrical? Three-fold symmetry is symmetry just like two-fold and five-fold symmetries are.

Besides, they are bi-pedal.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 19:54

tbowen wrote:You also have to wonder why they use names from ancient greek myth...a bit of earth envy? From the arrogant Nids?
The current theory stems from Julian Brennan's accidental introduction to the X-Universe back in X:BTF. He was (or is; is he still alive as of TC?) a Terran test pilot who ended up in Siezewell after the navigation systems on the Xperimental Shuttle malfunctioned.

The theory is that he named the non-Argon ships he saw after similar concepts from Earth. The Boron M1, for instance, is probably something unpronounceable in the original Boron, but the word translates to "cartilaginous fish with way too many teeth". Hence, Shark.

Similarly, the Paranid M4 was probably named for a Paranid historical figure whose career paralleled the Athenian leader Pericles. The Zeus? Ancient Paranid god of thunder and lightning. And so on.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 19:56

Do you mean Kyle Brennan?

As to symmetry, might it simply be easier to make a ship that way. I imagine
you want the centre of mass in the middle so it doesn't fly funny when
you accelerate or try to turn.

jamafish

Post by jamafish » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 20:17

brucewarren wrote:Do you mean Kyle Brennan?

As to symmetry, might it simply be easier to make a ship that way. I imagine
you want the centre of mass in the middle so it doesn't fly funny when
you accelerate or try to turn.
Tell that to the Terrans.

Seriously, whoever came up with the design for the Tokyo needs to get smacked.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 20:29

brucewarren wrote:Do you mean Kyle Brennan?
Maybe. Having not played any of the games apart from TC, I get them mixed up.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 20:39

jamafish wrote:Seriously, whoever came up with the design for the Osaka needs to get smacked.
Fixed :P
Right on commander !

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 21:02

Huh? The Osaka is symmetrical. It's just really big, like the other M2s.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 21:11

The Boreas is not much bigger that the Shrike! ( If at all? ) :P

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 21:14

greypanther wrote:The Boreas is not much bigger that the Shrike! ( If at all? ) :P
The Boreas is much smaller than most of the M2s.

jamafish

Post by jamafish » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 22:06

StarSword wrote:Huh? The Osaka is symmetrical. It's just really big, like the other M2s.
Yep, but it, and the Tokyo are ugly as sin. Hence, the designers need to be smacked.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 22:24

I don't desire silly looking ships in a game, they must look attractive, and they must be fun to look at and to fly.
It's not real, and if I'm going to look at something for a long time, it had better look good.
Whether it is a starship or a touch screen monitor, phone, or music player. Sleek, and defining it's purpose.
Looks count in this world, like it or not, they need to in a space game.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 24. Oct 11, 00:33

AgamemnonArgon wrote:I don't desire silly looking ships in a game, they must look attractive, and they must be fun to look at and to fly.
It's not real, and if I'm going to look at something for a long time, it had better look good.
Whether it is a starship or a touch screen monitor, phone, or music player. Sleek, and defining it's purpose.
Too bad there appear very few anime fans around a Western community. You always see a lot of replica of Western scifi but I think anime have some the sleekest ship's design :D

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Mon, 24. Oct 11, 00:34

well as for the parinid ship design, dont forget the paranid are asstute mathematicians and youll find most symetrical designs are mathematically sound...

the terrans are a hit and a miss with design, i think their fighters are graceful looking, they appear to look almost more pollished and more technical, but their larger ships i just aint sure off. the osaka its those damned big boxy engine pods that kill it, the tokyo just seems wrong, i like it as the TL, it kinda seems to fit the role, can picture loads of little worker ships piling out of the side of the that big arm... but as a carrier, i dont know, id liked to have seen a second arm to make it more symetrical and a bit like the osaka just longer arms to hold the hangers...

but another point to make is a ship dont need to be symetrical to look good, i like the Breen ships from star trek as an example

rujikin
x3tc

Post by rujikin » Mon, 24. Oct 11, 00:46

Mightysword wrote:
AgamemnonArgon wrote:I don't desire silly looking ships in a game, they must look attractive, and they must be fun to look at and to fly.
Too bad there appear very few anime fans around a Western community. You always see a lot of replica of Western scifi but I think anime have some the sleekest ship's design :D
Well anime and video games :D
Using X3 AP + All TC plots enabled

giva007

Post by giva007 » Mon, 24. Oct 11, 14:59

i agree to those who says Terran ships are way to ugly for a "technologically advanced race"

especially the Osaka. why does it seems that the designers is running out of idea that he just place a circle in the middle of 2 arms, and put a hanging boxes as an engine in both side of the middle structure?

and that's the Osaka being made :lol:

however the ATF designer is awesome!
The PSP are both great and disastrous weapon at the same time. so don't use it to hunt Spaceflies!

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Mon, 24. Oct 11, 16:55

ConCorDian wrote: the terrans are a hit and a miss with design, i think their fighters are graceful looking, they appear to look almost more pollished and more technical, but their larger ships i just aint sure off. the osaka its those damned big boxy engine pods that kill it, the tokyo just seems wrong, i like it as the TL, it kinda seems to fit the role, can picture loads of little worker ships piling out of the side of the that big arm... but as a carrier, i dont know, id liked to have seen a second arm to make it more symetrical and a bit like the osaka just longer arms to hold the hangers...
Don't forget the Katana and Yokohama. They're probably among the best-looking ships in the X Universe, IMHO.

The Tokyo is very nearly awesome-looking, but there's just something off about it that I can't put my finger on it. I think it could have done with a few tweaks, for example putting the hangar bay and fighter launch points on the disc.

The Osaka is awful, it's one of the ugliest ships in the game, and that's before you consider the air-conditioning units stuck onto it.

And as for the fighters, I don't really like them. They look too much like cartoony space shuttles. And the Scimitar has a penis. What the hell?

johgalt
x3tc

Post by johgalt » Mon, 24. Oct 11, 18:34

I love the Tokyo. It's one of my favorite ships. According to the in-game stats, it is my favorite ship, because I fly it more than anything else.

Oh, and the fighter launch bays actually are on the saucer section. Not the docking bay though.
"Who is John Galt?"

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”